Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Da-Lite Silver Matte or HCCV

11K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 ·
Howdy.

I have a Marantz VP4001 and I'm re-assessing my screen needs. I currently use quite a dark grey painted screen ( a bit darker than Silver Screen). It's around 106" and my room is light controlled at night, with light coloured walls which I may be painting dark soon.

I'd like, as would we all, better blacks with decent gain. I'm much more concerned with blacks than whites.

The Da-Lite review caught my eye, notably the HCCV and the Silver Matte.

Anyone care to hazard a guess which of these two might prove a good match?

#29 ·
Just a semi-update although it perhaps doesn't apply to the Silver Matte. I'm in the States at the moment and found a cheap supplier of the Optoma Grayhawk. The screen arrived the other day at my hotel and I couldn't help but give it a try with the new projector that was also waiting (Optoma 7300).

I won't know for sure until I get the screen home and try it with the Marantz, but the Graywolf does give the kind of picture I was expecting from the Silver Matte, ie brighter. It has much less hotspotting too, although there is a definate cone to get the brighter image.

There are two issues though.

The first is black levels.

When projecting a blank (ie black) image I can see it getting somewhat greyer when in the brightness sweetspot. The Optoma has worse blacks than my Marantz which may exacerbate this, but I'm not going to sacrifice blacks for brightness like one must with a High Power.

The second is how am going to get this thing back to Australia. I bought a 120" pull down because that is cheapest ($299 with free shipping), but I don't think airlines will take things that long, and will cost me as much as I paid to ship via DHL.

I guess I'll be cutting the material off the frame unless anyone has bright ideas.

When I get back I'll try and do a screen shot with my painted grey screen, the Silver Matte and the Graywolf.

Mind you, I've got to say my painted wall was looking great just before I left now that I switched to a more neutral shade and have a lightbox around it. I could now live happily with it if not for this horrid desire for just a bit more punch and just bit better blacks.

These fancy commercial screens are the first I've tried since my ill-fated dabble with a Da-Lite HP about five years ago, a screen I loathe. I cannot understand how anyone who calls theselves a videophile can use one. You may as well save the money and just run your projector in full Maximum brightness mode.

I checked with Home Depot on the WilsonArt Platinum but they quoted two weeks so that's a no go.

Cheers
Steve

PS

Mech,

There could well be two lots of grey screen material available next week. Shipping isn't too bad, about $50.

:)

#34 ·
Well we decided way back when to not unleash something that may not be withing our standards for a screen. Not without testing anyways. The testing has hit high gear lately and we have a few things to sort out before we divulge the paint. I've been doing a lot of readings with my spectro and I've got a lot more to do. And we've got some phone calls to make as well.

There'll be some screen shots soon! :bigsmile: Including a lot of direct comparisons to things that are already out there.

What is it? Look here.

mech

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.