Elite Screens Silver Frame Screen Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 65 Old 02-10-08, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Elite Screens Silver Frame Screen Review

Elite Screens

I contacted Elite Screens a couple weeks back to inquire about the possibility of reviewing some of their screen material. The response I got back was immediate and encouraging! They sent me a full 92" Silver Frame screen with their Power Gain material for me to review! They also manufacture several other types of screen options including manual pull down, electric pull down, and portable screens. I believe they also have a home theater furniture brand as well - SolaraHome.

The Elite Silver Frame comes with three different options for screen material:
  • Power Gain
  • CineWhite
  • CineGray

Power Gain

Quote:
PowerGain Enhances the color reproduction with high 1.8 Gain for those low light output projectors in the
presence of ambient light.

CineWhite

Quote:
CineWhite Screen Material has a wide viewing angle (160 degree) in 1.1 Gain, suitable for most applications
including commercial presentations and home theater viewing.

CineGray

Quote:
CineGrey Screen Material is best for those who using low contrast ratio projectors with a need to increase
contrast ratio to improve picture black levels.

As stated previously, Elite sent me a full size Power Gain screen and they also included a sample of the CineWhite material. I made up a spectral response curve chart for both of these materials:

What's encouraging here is that they are both fairly flat curves. There's a very slight dip on the red side of the spectrum but it's small enough that I consider it insignificant.

mech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 02-10-08, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: Elite Screens Silver Frame Screen Review

Assembly

Assembly of the screen was a very simple! Total time from opening the box to hanging on the wall was ~45 minutes. And that included taking photos!

Here's a couple shots of the box:

There were some minor dents but everything came undamaged.

Unpacking

These are the brackets used to hold the frame together.

The rest of the contents

Assembly of the frame was as simple as six screws per corner.

Here's a shot of the Power Gain screen material unrolled.

And of the backside, fully assembled, which is black to stop light from passing through. You'll note there are some ripples in the one corner. I found those very simple to remove by just taking the clips off and readjusting the material.

The instructions were very easy to follow and the frame was a breeze to assemble. The screen material is attached to the framing via tensioning. Tensioning is achieved via slipping a vinyl coated steel cable into a sleeve on each edge and stretching the screen material into place while placing clips onto the backside to hold it in place. This was the hardest part and required te help of my wife to accomplish. I think it could be done alone, but I would recommend a helper!

Hanging is just a matter of mounting four brackets to the wall in the proper location and hanging the screen upon them.

mech

post #3 of 65 Old 02-10-08, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Screen Shots

Anyone who knows me or who's been here at the Shack for awhile, knows that I strive for accurate representation when taking screen shots. It's a bit of a painstaking process and I'm sure there are faults. But it's the best that can be achieved with my limited camera knowledge. Most of the investigation of how to achieve accurate color representation when taking screen shots is here. The gist of it is this, I use a WhiBal card (neutral gray reference card) in a shot while projecting white light from my projector. It is my color management shot. I then shoot all of my pictures, in RAW mode. When finished I process the WhiBal shot in Adobe Bridge and apply the settings to all of the screen shots. I've found that this is the most accurate way to get the true color image from screen shots.

I just wish I was as particular about double checking the tripod/camera for being plumb and level!

Camera

I use an Olympus E-500 DSLR with a Zuiko Digital 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 lens. ISO is set to 100. Shutter speed and aperture are set to auto. It is sset up on a tripod and I use a remote to snap the pictures as to avoid shaking.

Projector

Mitsubishi HC3000U DLP projector. This projector boasts a 4000:1 contrast ratio and 1000 lumens. It is run in economy mode with Brilliant Color off. All of the shots are taken with the projector settings set to project a D65 image. I accomplished these settings utilizing my X-Rite i1pro spectrophotometer mounted to a a tripod upon the beamer mount.

post #4 of 65 Old 02-10-08, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

post #5 of 65 Old 02-10-08, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

A few more pictures...

post #6 of 65 Old 02-10-08, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Conclusions

Frame

The frame is high quality construction and is extremely simple and quick to put together. All that plus it looks very sharp!

Screen Material

The Power Gain material shows it's strengths as a cinema or movie buff material. It has an excellent spectral response curve indicating accurate reflection of the image being projected upon it. Colors are excellent as well as sharpness.

It performs on par with a lot of the other screen materials I've seen when it comes to ambient lighting. I'd call it average with regard to this.

Here are two frames from Serenity. There are three shots of each frame each at a different light level.

Here are the are light readings from my i1pro spectro. It is the nighttime numbers that concern us!

As I said, it performs average with regards to ambient light. The only other thing that I noticed was while watching a hockey game. Most of you know I love hockey so I had to watch a little hockey! I was a bit disappointed with the Power Gain material when it came to something as bright as a hockey game. A grainy texture was easily discernible with the bright white background of the ice.

Here are some shots. Pay no attention to the blurriness as hockey is one of the fastest human propelled sports.

Zoomed in on the left side of the screen:

Compared to the piece of CineWhite Elite sent me:

A little closer:

Closer yet:

You can see in this zoomed in shot that the CineWhite exhibits none of the grainy type image in bright images:

One more comparing the two:

So here's the rub. If you're gonna watch a lot of hockey, I'd recommend the CineWhite. If you're going to use the screen as most folks intend, as a movie theater, get the Power Gain.

Another topic that always seems to rear it's ugly head with regards to gain is viewing angle/cone. Looking at Elite's chart above in the first post and consulting with the two test shots I did with regards to viewing angle above, it appears to be in the 40 degree range (viewing angle). That's a fairly large viewing angle for a 1.8 gain screen.

Overall the construction of the Silver Frame was excellent. The performance of the Power Gain screen material was on par with other material of it's caliber. Combine the two of these at a price point of slightly over $200 for this 92" screen and I think that's a recipe for success! Two thumbs up!

mech

post #7 of 65 Old 02-11-08, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Open for comments. I reserve the right to add more to this as needed!

mech

post #8 of 65 Old 02-11-08, 11:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Good stuff mech.

Any chance of getting a 200x micro photo of both screens?
post #9 of 65 Old 02-12-08, 02:49 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Nice, mech. Best DIY forum reviewer in the biz...

I have to say, that screen is a steal (for the 99% of Americans that don't watch a lot of hockey)! It looks like mech, 3 guys in Maine, and 2 in Vermont should be careful...the rest of us wouldn't have any problem.
post #10 of 65 Old 02-12-08, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Good stuff mech.

Any chance of getting a 200x micro photo of both screens?
I'll try. Remind me if I forget. Today is 'Further Investigations' day.

mech