Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com - View Profile: CoupeDeBoulder

About Me

• About CoupeDeBoulder
    Other Referral Source
    Boulder CO
    I've been around computers since I first discovered them in my freshman year at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo (1974). At that point, I switched my major to Computer Science and have enjoyed it ever since. I had the opportunity to work with some people at Sprocket Systems back in the early 80's (at the time, it was the sound editing branch of LucasFilm). We were networking their DEC VAX systems together so they could work in parallel on the soundtrack. I was working for a small company called 3Com. We were about 12 people at that time, and we had just released our second hardware product (a UNIBUS ethernet card). For those that don't go back that far, 3Com was founded by Bob Metcalfe, who was the inventor of ethernet at Xerox PARC. The first PC ethernet card was still about 9 months away at that time. It seems like such an easy problem these days, but back then it was simple to snip a couple of seconds of video out (literally snip, snip), but syncing the soundtrack was a nightmare.
    Interests | Hobbies
    Photography, Hiking and Computers
    Chief Engineer/Software & Communications
    Main Home Audio/Video System Equipment List
    At home the system is an HTPC with an Intel Motherboard DZ68DB, an i7-2600K cpu (unlocked, hyper-threaded quad-core 3.8 GHz), 16 GB Ram. I use the Intel on-chip HD Graphics 3000 connected thru HDMI to an LG Infinia 47LE8500 LED HDTV. I used the Thermaltake DH-202 HTPC case. Boot device is a pair of 160 GB Patriot SSD drives in a Raid 1 configuration (SATA II 6 Gbs) with a pair of 1 TB Caviar Black (also Raid 1) using the 3 Gbs SATA headers. At home, I'm currently using the 10.1 on-board audio, but I am currently evaluating my options. I live in a condo, so volume, unfortunately is not an option most of the time. I use my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's and I just got the Phiaton PS 210 BTNC ear-buds (the first wireless phones I've ever heard that sound as good wireless as wired). I also use the Kipsch ProMedia 2.1 (for what they are, they perform well). Will also dig out my NHT SuperZero's and NHT sub).
    Other System
    Starting to get the "bug" again (should have stayed away from here). I'm on a quest to learn all the details about PC audio. I just got my calibrated ECM8000 and think I have REW figured out enough to start doing some testing. I have also been doing some playing with the Opus software (the next gen codec). I'll post my results for those who might be interested. I just dug my KRK Rokit 6 Gen 2 speakers out of storage (used to do some recording work). They're pretty flat and most people don't like them, but they are amazingly accurate for what they are. They'r bi-amped (18 watts treble, 50 watts bass). They use a soft-dome ferro fluid tweeter and glass-aramid cone bass (their trademark has always been the bright yellow cones). They will push a clean 107 dB and will ultimately make a nice pair of rear speakers.

Total Posts
General Information
  • Last Activity: 02-07-14 09:16 PM
  • Referrals: 0

No results to display...

No results to display...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome