Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Mitsubishi V26 chassis (1st gen DLP) capacitor failures

77K views 110 replies 21 participants last post by  planosteve 
#1 ·
There seems to be a pattern of failure of many capacitors in this chassis series. Problems that relate to these failures are the failure to complete boot cycle (timer LED blinks continuously) and a number of startup issues including lamps not starting or shutting down. The most obvious manifestation of the failures are swollen or vented caps. We have seen sets with a dozen or more swollen capacitors. Many more are often on the way to failing, demonstrating low capacitance, high dielectric absorbtion, high ESR, or d.c. leakage. These caps are the conventional radial polar electrolytics made by Jamicon.

Additionally, some of the problems with lines in the picture may be due to problems with surface mount capacitors. We have found caps on the DM that appear to be thermally sensitive, and have high ESR.

One can speculate as to the reason for these failures, but it seems certain that all of the radial polar electrolytics made by Jamicon are suspect. Virtually all that test are marginal or test bad, even if they are not swelling. I recommend replacing all of the following caps.

The most reliable brand and supplier at the best prices that I have found seems to be the Panasonic caps from Digi-Key. Use the longest life, lowest impedance, 105 degree caps available in the right size and value.

Terminal 1 board
CL203 1000uF 10V

Terminal 2 board
C2M28 1000uF 10V
C2M29 1000uF 10v

FMT board
C8F19 1000uF 16V
C8F21 1000uF 16V
C8F22 1000uF 16V
C8F27 1000uF 16V

DM board
C81A2 1000uF 16V
C81A3 1000uF 16V
C81B3 1000uF 16V
C81B4 1000uF 16V

Signal board
C8788 330uF 16V
C8738 330uF 16V
C8717 330uF 16V
C8761 330uF 16V
C8780 330uF 16V
C8798 330uF 16V
C87A3 330uF 16V
C8797 330uF 25V
C8710 330uF 10V
C8727 330uF 10V
C87A0 330uF 10V
C87A7 330uF 10V
C3E51 470uF 35V
C3E52 470uF 35V
C3E53 470uF 35V
C3E54 470uF 35V

Power Supply
C9A52 1000uF 16V
C9A59 1000uF 16V
C9A61 1000uF 16V
C9A62 1000uF 16V
C9A39 2200uF 35V
C9A40 2200uF 35V
C? 3300uF 16V
C? 3300uF 16V

See less See more
#59 ·
You should just switch to a lighter weight recurve if you are only target shooting.

I have called around here locally and been getting told no can do. They want to pull the chassis themselves and charge me all the labor. I am not the original owner, but I can pay for the chassis rebuild itself.

Hey I actually have to come up to Gville area to pick up a bunch of blueberry bushes in within the next few weeks. Would I be able to drop off a chassis with you guys while I am there?

#60 ·
The dealer that I service that is a Mits ASC is Electronics World. You can talk to them and see if they will do it. I no longer get involved in that stuff, just do field service for them. Lots of dealers don't want the hassle of dealing with the shipping, billing, and Mitsubishi accounting (which could be upgraded with an abacus) if they are not going to make the labor. You have to talk to them about it. Somebody somewhere is bouhnd to be willing to do it for you. Have you called Mitsubishi parts and asked if they will just sell you a chassis? You realize that if you send one in you don't get it back, but just get some other rebuilt unit, right?

#64 ·
Call Mitsubishi directly. First check with parts and see if they will sell the chassis outright, if not try customer relations and tell them that you have contacted ASCs, be specific, and see what they will do for you.

You don't realize how much hassle it is to deal with Mitsubishi. I really cannot blame servicers for not wanting to deal with it. You would probably not want to pay what it really costs to handle it for you, not to mention taking the risk of having to deal with shipping damage and returns. How are they to know that you installed it correctly, didn't damage a cable, don't have some other problem that is not the chassis, etc. Dealing with DIyers is a can of worms that many shops simply don't want to risk.

#70 ·
went the whole customer relations route, it got escalated. They even called all the ASCs in my area and asked them if they would ship the Chassis, no luck. This sucks, I mean if it cost $200 from Mitsu to rebuild I would be willing to pay $100 on top of that for the hassle and sign an agreement of no warranty or refunds on the ASC side... Seems the reps I talk to at Mitsu really want to help but they have a policy about not dealing directly with the customer on repairs. The guy even told me he wished they could just have me ship it to them and they ship it back to me directly. They even suggested that any electronics repair shop could send the part in....

#65 ·
All, Thanks so much for this thread. It got me all the information (and the form letter :heehee: ) to get Mits to offer me either half my repair bill ($360) or a new 60737 for $725.
Any recommendation on why not to take the new one. Money is tight, so just repairing the old one is the wise thing, but 'man will be man' and newer and bigger is also cool...
BTW I have the 52725 now. The only thing I will really miss is the NET NAVIGATOR. I know there is lots of talking it down, but I love hitting one button and everything going to the proper settings...

#66 ·
Well, you can get the WD60737 new for around $1K so I would negotiate a bit more out of them if you want a new set. Point out that the new sets don't have the features that you bought in the WD52725. Overall, the deal is reasonable, IMO, particularly since they are offering a 6 month warranty on the rebuilt chassis, but there is no harm done in trying to get more out of them.

#68 ·
I have seen no problems with them. In general the sets after the first generation of DLPs from Mits have been quite reliable, IME. One of the dealers that I service sells lots of Mitsubishi and they don't have much to keep me busy.

#71 ·
Have you called Electronics World? Explain the situation and see if they will help you. If not, and Mitsubishi will work through another servicer who is not an ASC, email me and we will find someone to do it for you.

#72 ·
UPDATE:
I took your advice and complained about the 60737 not being an apple to apple trade since my old machine had Net Commander, etc. etc... Well now they are offering the 65837 for the same $725! That seems like a really good deal.
The only problem is 65in is a bit big for the size of my room :eek:
I am trying one more ploy, and seeing what they will do in the flat panel 153 line. I think they will want more $ but it is always worth asking :T
Thanks again for all the help.

#73 ·
for those who had an entire chassis rebuild -
is your tv still going fine? might there be any reason to suspect any kind of failure in the future?

also, i don't think it's likely that i'm going to find the original receipt. has anyone gotten anywhere with customer relations without their receipt?

#76 ·
NO, was going on 2nd rebuilt chassis prior to offer. All they are doing is replacing what is wrong with it, then sending it back out, that is what the repair guy told me anyways! They rebuild the spent capacitor and you get another headache when one goes back out again!

#75 ·
I just went thru the same exact issues with my 5 year old wd 52825, and was offered the same tv as you, the 65837 for 450.00 just 2 weeks ago. If you hold out a little, they will drop the price.

My set went out Feb 13 and it took me calling Warrantech the extended warranty company almost daily for over 8 weeks to finally get them to buy me out of my contract.
Repair guy showed up and just started throwing parts at it. I had already put a brand new bulb in it, and so did he, along with a new ballast, light engine, and then on to a chassis. At the point of the chassis Warrantech made me get involved with Mitsubishi directly which added almost 2 weeks to my problems.
After all the paper work was sent in on the previous chassis replacement about 2 years ago, they offered me the 65837 for 650.00. Warranty company refused to pay it, said it was cheaper to fix it.
Went round and round with them again, and Mitsu called me back about a week or so later and dropped the price to 450.00. Finally the warranty company offered up a buy out for that tv for 450 dealing back thru Ultimate Electronics.
The store manager was extremely nice and offered to let me pick any TV for the replacement, as he said Mitsu was really junk anymore and they had tons of returns over the years for all the previously posted issues. I ended up with a brand new 52 inch LED flat screen with a 4 year extended warranty AND a kickin wall mount for the retail price of the 65837. Ultimate really took care of me, warranty company came thru for 349.99 reimbursment, so I'm out of pocket 0 money!!!
After they came to pick up my old set to return to mitsu, they didn't even want the boxes of new parts, so I'm selling them all on ebay!!! so I'm actually getting PAID for a new set.
I think I came out alright. lol

#77 ·
Mitsubishi's process, as it has been explained to me with respect to this chassis, is that they pull the boards and change over a hundred caps that are known to be high failure points. Then they test the boards for other problems, repair those that are practical to fix, then assemble them into chassis and test them as a unit. Of several dozen that we have received from them, I can recall 4 that have had repeat problems.

#78 ·
I was just going on the word of the repair guy. At this point I wouldn't trust them anylonger. When the chassis was replaced about 2 years ago, it was sent to Mitsu for this supposed overhaul, and yet here it was out again.
Funny thing is I kept telling him "you sure its not the capacitors" even showed him what I found on the net about how to diy repair of them, step by step with color pics. He said nope, that's not it, so after all those parts, he replaced 2 capacitors he found bad but it still wouldn't work.
I was under the impression there is no real trouble shooting procedure for the tv's as he was just ordering and replacing parts left and right!

If you stay persistent with Mitsu, they will eventually take care of you, only problem was in exactly 5 years of owning it, it was out of service a total of 14 weeks, which is totally unacceptable in my book for a 5k tv.

#79 ·
Mits did tell me they are just trying to get rid of all those old tv's since the failure rate was so high on them, and they weren't offering new chassis, just a "rebuilt" one. They also told me if I didn't take the buy out option, this would be the last chassis I would get help on, luckily Ultimate came thru and I'm enjoying my new tv now!
I kept asking them if this was rebuilt as in everything replaced, or just what was broke was fixed, and they would never commit to an answer, and I'm sure the guy answering the phone wouldn't know, but it didn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy that's for sure.

#80 ·
I have a recently repaired unit that is looking for a home. If anyone lives in the Cleveland Ohio area the unit is fully functional but missing the serial tag. Mits was nice enough to replace the set after a complaint letter. I am missing the remote since it also stopped working and my extended warranty would not replace it.

#82 ·
Mitsubishi has done a pretty good job of taking care of owners of these sets, IME. They have mostly kept the clients that I know pretty happy, even on sets that are more than 5 years old.

#83 ·
I am in the middle of this process and Mit offered to give me a new WD65737, I'm going to return with what has gone on here and ask for a WD65838. What does this process look like? Do they send a voucher written out to you or to a local vendor? Did you pay Mit directly with your credit card or did you pay the vendor?
Thanks for all the help guys! This forum is the only reason I got this to work out.

#84 ·
You will need to speak to your contact at Mitsubishi Customer Relations to work out those details. They handle situations on a case by case basis and I am not sure what you should expect. What have they offered and why are you asking for the upgraded model? What set do you have and what problems and cost have you experienced? If you post the details of your experience and situation, it is more likely that someone can comment and more likely that it may help someone else in the future.

#85 ·
I bought my WD52525 in jan 05 and have had a ton of the same problems in this forum. First of all I appreciate everyone sharing their stories on this subject. I paid $2500 and thought I made the right technology choice at the time.
I first had the flashing green light issue. Took it to a ASC and $300 later they had replaced all the capacitors on the system. Then I had a bulb problem which I replaced not once, but twice. Now I am experiencing diagonal lines so bad I cant stand to watch the tv. If I read the forums correctly, I need to have all my paperwork together, write and call customer relations (thanks for the form letter), and then stay on top of it with the goal to be a possible replacement tv offer, or to request they pay for a rebuilt chassis to be sent out?
At this point, I am thinking that a replacement offer is probably the best route as these tv's have had too many issues....agreed? I have too much time invested in this already, (5 weeks with no tv's, 300 in repairs, $500 in bulbs) that leads me to believe I need to throw in the towel. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.