Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Problem Mitsubishi WD-52525 Scrambled Picture and no picture

36K views 101 replies 13 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
The picture looks scrambled like if you turned to a premium channel back in 1990. It was working fine, I hooked up my PS3 and it was scrambled so I stopped and went back to watching normal TV for a while (no problems) then I changed to a HD channel and it was scrambled again, so I pressed the reset button (had to do it twice before it stopped flashing) and then all I got was a blue screen on HD channels and now the analog channels look all scrambled even if I bypass may cable box and plug the cable directly to the TV.

Does anyone know what has happened? And what I can Do?

Here is a picture of what it first looked like. Scrabled TV Picture.JPG

So then I turned everything off then unplugged it for a while.

Now through the HDMI I get a blue screen with white flashing in the center but doesn't seem to effect the menu you can still see those. Scrabled TV Picture 2.JPG

It did say my input 1 (VCR) is using S-Video which its not I do not have anything connected to S-Video. Now its doesn't and I only get a blue screen, and no sound.

Using the cable directly to the TV I got bright green Wavy lines for a while, Scrabled TV Picture 3.JPG now there very very dull and switches back to the bright green., I get sound but you can hear static every once and a while more so when its bright green , it still outputs sound to the receiver.

It now has a red light for lamp indicator so I can't turn it on any more.

Does anyone know what has happened? And what I can Do,and cost?

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Class action for what? Mitsubishi is repairing 4 year old sets below their cost, and in many cases covering a significant part of the repair. Class action in these kinds of cases usually ends up doing nothing but wasting time and resources.

#30 ·
I just received the diagnosis and the estimate for repairs. It was the optical assembly (light engine) that failed and it will cost $867 to repair. I am sending the information to Mitsubishi as they requested today so they can decide what they will do.

Also, I found the purchase receipt and I bought it on February 2, 2005 - a couple days before the pepethechamp..... Maybe it was a bad supply of parts which have failed??

#33 ·
Yes. While it is difficult to determine much from your description, my experience is that it is far more likley to be chassis related. Even if the light engine is the problem, fixing it without rebuilding the light engine seems silly.

#35 ·
37 is a DMD or Lamp fan stop. If they replaced any caps at all, the chassis should be rebuilt before assuming the engine is bad. You need to discuss this with Mitsubishi and suggest that they take a different approach. Your servicer seems clueless.

#37 ·
Send it to Mitsubishi with a note that says that you have been told that this diagnosis is suspect by another ASC and that they should have their people review the diagnosis with the servicer. If the set does indeed have a bad light engine, and they fix it, it is also likely to have chassis problems later. More likely, the cost of the light engine and labor to replace it may be wasted.

#38 ·
Leonard - have you seen the light engine fail without chassis issues? Here is what I am sending today:

Here is the purchase receipt along with the diagnosis and repair cost for my WD-52525.

I have been told that the diagnosis is suspect by another ASC and I would like you to review it with the people at Audio Video Service. Because they had to replace 2 caps, I want to make sure that the chassis does not have to be rebuilt before assuming the light engine is bad.

#39 ·
Of course the light engine can fail without the chassis failing. What I have said is that it is more likely to be a chassis problem, and even if the light engine is bad, with the history of this chassis and the fact that they already found bad caps, it is foolish to fix the set without rebilding the chassis.

#40 ·
Well, I got the call from Mitsu telling me that they would pay $220 of the $867 repair bill. They said that since it was out of the 3 year warranty this was the best they could do. They had all 3 of my phone numbers and they call my home and leave a message on the machine.

#41 ·
I just talked to "Marvin" in Customer Relations.
He stated that my TV is 48 months old and that is the reason for the $220 offer. I asked if the $2,500 tv I purchased should last longer than 48 months given the known issues? He stated that he would escalate the call for another review since I have not accepted their offer.
The saga continues. :unbelievable:

#42 ·
I finally spoke to someone in the Eastern Time Zone - thank God. She told me that the ASC needs to redo their estimate and focus on the chassis. I will have to cover $250 for labor and they will handle the overhaul of the complete chassis. If the chassis fails again, they will replace the set with a comprable one.
I called the ASC and am getting some push back on their estimate. Basically, how dare you question our diagnosis.

#44 ·
You can add me to the list of people with a dead WD-52525.

The picture started getting alternating wavy bands of color and black this past Saturday afternoon and by Saturday night it turned into the blue screen with the whispy white lines in the center of the screen.

We bought the TV on 10/22/2005, had the first lamp go bad within the first 7 months, and then had that one go bad this past June of 2008.

When I called my local ASC and told him that I was having issues with a Mitsubishi television, he asked me the model number. When I told him WD-52525, he actually kind of laughed/groaned on the phone. We talked for a good bit about the Mitsubishi DLP's in general and he told me that he's an ASC for all brands of TV's and that the Mitsubishi DLP's are the #1 problem television and the one most frequently seen in his shop. Glad Mitsubishi is sending so much business his way.

Does anyone have any idea what the odds are that Mitsubishi will cover any of the costs associated with fixing my television? I know the television is almost 3 1/2 years old, but seriously, after dropping $2 grand on a TV you'd think it would last longer than 3 1/2 years. Our old Mitsubishi lasted from 1987 to 2005, hence one of the main reasons why we went with another Mitsubishi.

#45 ·
Have your servicer provide an estimate to send the chassis to Mitsubishi for a rebuild. Call Mitsubishi customer relations with all of your information and request assistance. they have covered the cost of the rebuild and shipping for many others. Each case is handled individually, however, and you will have to work with them to see what they will provide.

#46 ·
Well - finally some good news from Mitsu. They have reviewed the 2nd (and correct) estimate for chassis rebuild and they have agreed to cover the part cost. I still have to cover the labor cost from the ASC ($270) but at least I don't have to pay the full $731.

Jennifer - review all the recent posts for directions. If you get the right information to Mitsu quickly, you can get this resolved without too many headaches.

GL

#68 ·
KTR I was wondering if you could email me or I u about this? My TV just bit the dust and has the exact issue. I would like to know how smoothly the process went, how long it took and whether you have had any further issues. I am contemplating just getting a new TV instead of pumping money into this one.

#47 ·
Right now I'm waiting for the ASC to call me back with a time and day that they can come pick up the TV.

Should I automatically just ask for the chassis rebuild? I'd hate to think that I get the TV fixed and then it just dies again six months down the road.

If I remember correctly, he told me that being that there are so many different things that go wrong with these TV's, that they call Mitsubishi support and they start working down a list or something.

I asked him straight out about Mitsubishi covering any of the costs, and he gave me some off the record info, so I do believe that he's pretty familiar with these TV's and the problems associated with them.

Just so you guys know, I really do appreciate the help and guidance with this.

#48 ·
The ASC will need to complete a diagnostic on the TV and complete an estimate for the repairs, whatever they may be. If it is the chassis that is good. You will need to send the repair estimate along with your purchase receipt to Mitsh Customer Relations for their review. They will decide how they will proceed with the financial assistance once they know the issue. Make sure you call Customer Relations to get a file set up.

#49 ·
What you described is generally a problem in the chassis. This is where the majority of the many problems with this set will exist, and it will be bad capacitors in all but a few sets. If they want to do repairs to the chassis themselves, tell them up front that you will not be interested and that you will only repair the set if the chassis is rebuilt by Mitsubishi. If they do many of these sets, they should already know that Mitsubishi is doing extensive rebuilding and changing dozens (well over 100) caps in these chassis before they even test and troubleshoot them.

I will tell clients up front that there is no point in trying to do anything to these sets until the chassis is rebuilt. We pull them in the field and never even bring the set to the shop in most cases.

#50 ·
I've got one of these TVs which I purchased in Feb/Mar of 2005 and it's working fine. It's about to get it's second bulb.

I just happened across here via google search and I had a few questions should this happen to me.

- I have a extended warranty on my set which I'm pretty sure has not expired yet. If this is the case how can I work with the warranty servicer to have them do the right thing and get the chassis to Mitsu for a rebuild? Do I just have to strongly manage the situation? Has anyone who has faced this problem handled via their extended warranty and if so how did it work?

- To the folks this is happening to, since we're dealing with capacitors, has the TV been subject to a lot of power surges even if on a surge protector? What about one of those Monster power conditioner things?

#51 ·
Most people who have the problem don't find out until they replace a lamp or have a power outage that causes the set to reset. Not completing the boot cycle is often the first problem to occur.

If you have the problem, you need to be sure that the servicer is clear that you do not want them to do anything but send the chassis in for a rebuild. The cooperation that you get will vary with the local servicer. It is always best to know who they are BEFORE you buy the plan or at least know they options before you need service so that you can choose the best servicer if there are choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.