Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Mitsubishi WS-55909

8K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  explorer 
#1 ·
Well I was asked to start a new thread so here I am doing so. I recently bought mine the other day as a "broken" HDTV. The seller stated that the only problem is the DM Model. I found a site which lead me to this one here about the convergence issue. I'm not sure if there is a convergence issue or not but as far as I know, there is a DM problem. The green LED light is blinking so I figured out from the current site how to fix it.

I'm worried as to there might be a convergence problem if it does get working once I repair the DM module myself. Is there a way to find out what model the IC could be without taking out the whole board? And what fuses and such would I need to repair the convergence?

Like I said, right now it won't power on because of the DM module so I just want to buy everything before any more issues arise. I guess I'll have to wait for the capacitors to come in to find out.

#2 ·
Why are you concerned about a convergence problem? These sets typically go intermittent and just need the IC resoldered. I would not assume a problem if you don't know something more than you are reporting.

If you have the LED blinking constantly, you need to start by changing the caps in the DM supply.

#3 ·
I'm concerned because I've been reading a whole bunch about the convergence in some rear projection tvs. I'm just playing it safe. I'm lucky to even buy a tv this size for an unbelievable amount and find out that the issue to fix is costing me no more than $30 for all necessary parts and equipment. But if what you're saying is true then I suppose I shouldn't worry. Out of all honesty, I just want to get this working and can't wait to do so without messing it up. If the capacitors are all that's wrong with it, that'll be the best $10+ I've ever spent. I suppose I have to wait for them to come in the mail and find out. I just hope nothing else is wrong with it.

#4 ·
The best way to "mess it up" would be worrying about fixing problems that you don't have. These models did not have lots of convergence problems, but there is no way to know until you get it running. Focus on that.

#8 ·
The DM is the large metal covered module standing on the left side looking from the back. Inside, there are some 1000 uF radial electrolytic caps that swell up and need to be replaced. In some cases changing the caps does not solve the problem and there is more wrong than just the caps. Usually, the caps are not swollen in these cases. If you open it up and see puffy tops on the caps, change them and you will likely be back up and running.

Verify all of the info you find on HDTVoice. There is some great info there and some very helpful folks, and I post there a lot, but I find that there is also a lot of misinformation that is not well monitored. Here, everything of this nature goes through me and I can correct any misconceptions or bad info.

#7 · (Edited)
I haven't been here in a long time. Well I fixed mine and it's been working ever since I bought the tv broken with the same exact problem. What you're going to do is look for the silver box in the back of the tv. It's all the way to the left. Actually, I found out how to do it on another forum. It's not very hard at all. You'll be very happy once it's working so I'll send the link to you through a message.

EDIT: I guess I can't send messages?

Anyways, here's a link that I used to fix my tv. It's not the same model but it works. I used it and so have many others. It's the forum that led me to here. Hope it helps the same way it did for me. If you have the caps already, it won't take any longer than 2 hours to get your tv up and running.

http://hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?t=32186

Good luck.

G
#9 ·
Thanks, Icaillo!
I did replace the caps , which did not show any signs of swelling. The result was a random flashing green light instead of a very steady flashing pattern.

Any path I can follow now, armed with a VOM and, if I can find one, a schematic?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Wes

#10 ·
You can try replacing the EEPROM, which is on a small board on the DM, or replace the DM. If you are not familiar with troubleshooting and how these systems work, not much else.

#13 ·
The only source for new boards is Mitsubishi, if they have any left. You may find used or rebuilt boards elsewhere. Normally, we would troubleshoot and repair. The first place to start would be the caps in the DM supply. There are other threads here with info on those repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.