Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Mitsu WD-65734 Issues, pinks in whites and strobing light

4K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Mitsubishi TV owners, I bought this set new in November 2007 from my local store. It was a nice picture when new.

few months into owning it it developed vertical lines, it was barely viewable! Called in to the CS at the store and they got me a service company to come in, he came in and determined the DM board was bad, few weeks later he replaced it.

all seemed fine until i come home and watch the TV (I was not home, the GF was when it got repaired). I start noticing the TV looks fine except that some whites on the screen have pink looking inner coloring. hard to explain really and its not just whites but lighter colors that display this. sometimes during shows brighter areas on peoples faces would show some pinkish coloring when u know it supposed to be like skin tone but lighter due to lighting. Also I was getting another issue where the TV would turn on but the picture was black and got the blinking green light.

well I put in another call and got another service company middle of 2008, this time since the repair guy knew the DM board was replaced and upon inspection he said the light engine was hesitating to turn on. He put in for a light engine, 2 weeks later he comes and installs the light engine, took him about 30 minutes, he then proceeded to calibrate the light engine from a sheet he had which explained how to do it. when he went to transfer info from the dm board or whatever board it is to the light engine he took notice that when the original guy replaced the dm board he didnt use the original calibration, not sure how but he mentioned that he was to save the setting from the dm board to the light engine then from the light engine to the new dm board. apparently the tv set now has a basic calibration, he showed me the settings and 3 of them were 1024, many "0" and a few 2048's, IRL or something close is 37, xwl 565 and the one before it is 542.

well here I am again gave in a call to see what the problem is, still have pinkish tones in lighter colors.

recently i have been noticing a strobing effect from the lamp, its very small but annoying. I notice when I switch it from low power to high power then back to low it goes away for a few days then comes back.

any suggestions?

should the DM board be replaced?
should i ask if a professional calibration guy be paid for by them? gregg lowen is local to me.

:hissyfit::mooooh:

Below are the settings once I did, Menu> 2-4-5-7 then using video to scroll through the different numbers.

The low setting are the same (i.e. GGH for high and GGL for low)

Code:
1. HVPOS: 2 / 65533
2. GGH: 1024
3. GRH: 1024
4. GBH: 1024
8. CCA: 1
9. XRH: 0
10. YRH: 2048
11. GRH: 0
12. XGH: 0
13. YGH: 2048
14. GGH: 0
15. XBH: 0
16. YBH: 2048
17. GBH: 0
18. XCH: 0
19. YCH: 2048
20. GCH: 0
21. XMH: 0
22. YMH: 2048
23. GMH: 0
24. XYH: 0
25. YYH: 2048
26. GYH: 0
27. XWH: 542
28. YWH: 565
29. GWH: 2048
51. BMG: 0
52. BMR: 0
53. BMB: 0
54. OFG: 0
55. OFR: 0
56. OFB: 0
57. CMG: 100
58. CMR: 100
59. CMB: 100
60. IDL: 37
61. DBK: 1

See less See more
#2 ·
STOP!

Do not change anything and do not hire a calibrator. Mitsubishi needs to resolve this. They will likely have to send a new DM and light engine calibrated together because the first tech did not save the data back to the DM. The data is lost and Mitsubishi does not provide calibration support for much of the stuff that is there that would be beyond the capability of most techs and calibration pros anyway. Call customer relations, explain the story, have all of the dates, documents, and other info ready. If you cannot get it resolved, contact me and I will see if I can pass it on to contacts that I have. You will be given a file or case number. Make sure that you record it and any names, contact dates, etc.

#3 ·
I called and got basically a, please go to your TV, press the reset button... does it look better etc etc....

not exactly what i'm looking for... i was looking for a, ok sir return the TV and we will get u a new one. or a , sir we will get you new main board and light engine.

this will be the 3rd repair since i bought it and it only looked good for the first 3 weeks when i opened the box.

#4 ·
So now you need to escalate to a higher level. Call customer relations, explain that the suggested solution made no difference, and explain the situation again. Do not hang up until they either connect you to someone higher up or agree to have them call you. Get specific information regarding who you speak to, who and when they will call back, case numbers, etc. Keep detailed notes. Put together all of your notes and supporting documents and have them ready and together.

#5 ·
well

so far I have had a main board replaced, a light engine replaced, another main board replaced.

That is 5 days off from work to have the TV looked at and a second day for the techs to come out.

Just recently I called and a tech came out. He looked at the TV and said skin tones look fine. Talked to Mitcubishi and told them "customer claims there are pinks and other colors in the whites". Mitsubishi told him to reset the TV and this was considered a repair per their office. I was told my cable tv signal is bad and I need to replace my panasonic blu ray player.

I just called the customer relations department and told them my problem, they set up another appointment to have the same company come take a look. what good does that do since the tech said it looks good?

at this point i want a replacement as I am still paying on this tv. They said that since mitsubishi and the tech claims no issues with the tv there can be no replacement made.

maybe I can capture what I am talking about on camera?

also mitsubishi directs me to my contract repair warranty place. they state they have nothing to do with this since it is out of warranty. its a bounce back and forward battle now.

#8 ·
you mean send as in snail mail? where would i send it to?

BTW, that was with my panasonic blu ray player but you get the same effect in high gamma scenes. mostly whites... gray scales look fine...

its always the "halo" effect in either pinkish red in whites, greenish tint in yellows and reds get either a bluish or magenta tint. gradients are always choppy and not smooth..

#9 ·
Send them by email. Call customer relations and explain the situation to them and ask for an email address to send them. Use images that are easy to identify. I can't make out what the one above is supposed to be, so you need to explain how it should look. If you use something like a studio scene from a news show or other recognizable situation, it will be clearer what the actual problem looks like.

#10 ·
I have called customer relations, they ask me the model, tell me that I bought the TV at my local store and then ask me when did I buy the TV. They later on quickly state that I have to call my warranty company and take it up with them since the TV is no longer under manufacturers warranty. Then the tech will call their tech and they will guide him through the repair, then they say.. thank you have a nice day.

The picture i took is a scene from hellboy on bluray. i think it is at 25 minutes into the movie right when he is about to get blown out of the building when his firelady is on fire.

I have tried capturing the phenomenon on live tv but I dont have tivo or dvr to stop it. I can only show using a movie. but this happens on either TV or blurays, doesnt matter if it is component or HDMI.

I will see how far I get again.

#13 ·
The statement of the servicer needs to be refuted by evidence. You can hire another servicer or you can take pictures and send them to the warranty company. If you are satisfied that you will get nowhere, we need discuss it no further, but I am only suggesting the options that you can try. If you have a legitimate problem, and you can show that problem, there is not a judge in any court in the land that would not find in your favor. You have to be convincing that there is a problem and that you are willing to pursue it to the end.

Frankly, I can't make out much from the image you posted.

#14 ·
well I waited long enough to see if anything else arises. well now I can stand the whirling loud sound or "whine" like a ballast. Also, seems like the color wheel is starting to get stuck or something as you can hear it stop and start.

I have come to notice that Magenta is what is showing through. looks pink.

the image is hard to tell but it is HellboyII. seen before he gets blasted out of the window.

in the scene you can see the pinkish coloring. on another similar TV it doesn't display it.

2 service companies will not come to look at it now since they think it works good. I was told not every TV will be perfect.

#16 ·
basically the area in yellow it has a slight pink/magenta tint to it. on any plasma, lcd or another 65734 mitsu it doesn't show like this. the scene is a dark scene and the back lighting you see has a slight hue of blue.

on our TV it has magenta/pink at the brightest areas. it is difficult to catch with my camera. might need to borrow my buddies D80 to capture it.

Attachments

#17 ·
Why not post something that is recognizable to those of us who are not Hellboy fans? You are, after all, trying to communicate a technical issue. There are numerous test patterns that should show the problem clearly and be recognizable to others. You could post some images of scense that have natural colors that demonstrate the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.