TV Shut off & will not turn back on-HELP!! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Mitsubishi
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 7657 - Replies: 10  
Old 08-26-09, 12:59 PM   #1

Bill
Since: Aug 2009
California
I started this thread.
TV Shut off & will not turn back on-HELP!!

I have a Mits model 55819 that just shut off for no apparent reason and will not turn back on. It is around 7 years old so since it is out of waaranty, I took the back panel off and looked for a blown fuse. The fuse was fine so I am in the "dark" as to what is wrong with it. I have been told it is a bad power supply. What I want to know is there some type of "reset" switch with this model. I do not see one in the front so is there somewhere else to look? Or is this truly a bad power supply? Please help!! Thanks, Bill.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-09, 07:45 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: TV Shut off & will not turn back on-HELP!!

Does that mean that it will not come back on, that it tries to come back on but shuts down, or that it is completely dead? Your description is very vague.

Can you get any response at all? Any LED activity on the front? Any sound at all when the set is plugged in or when the power button is pressed?

Did you check all of the fuses or just one, perhaps the line fuse?

Who told you it was a power supply problem and based upon what info? Was the set diagnosed by someone?

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 08-26-09, 08:22 PM   #3

Bill
California
I started this thread.

Ok.....I was watching TV. I never had any issues or problems up to this time. For no reason, it just shut off. I tried to turn it back on with the remote 2 or 3 times. I then tried to turn it on by pushing on the front on/off button several times. I then pulled it away from the wall, unplugged it, plugged it back it and tried again(remote and front button) to turn it on. Nothing! I even plugged it directly into the wall-nothing. I removed the back panel and next to where the electrical cord comes in is a fuse. I pulled that out, examined it and replaced it. I then tried the whole sequence again- nothing!
If there were other "fuses" where are they? I gave the circuits a mild "cushioned" vacuum just so I could examine the "boards". I did not see any other fuses. I called four different Mitsubishi service stores and one said it "could be" the power supply since these have been known to leak(whatever). Anyways, I have an "authorized" tech coming out on Friday afternoon. If I could see what the issue is, I would at least avoid a $70 service charge to start out with. BTW- there has been no one aside from myself to physically look at this. This is about as descriptive as I can get. Bottom line- it stopped for no apparent reason and I cannot figure out what it is- such the reason for the post.
If anyone could tell me if indeed there are "other fuses", please tell me specifically where to look. Also, if there is a way to reset this, plmk that too. Again, no power is evident going thru the system and no lights or any life is being shown, not even a click. So obviously there is no error messages. Thanks!

Old 08-26-09, 09:24 PM   #4
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

There are other fuses, in the secondary of the power supply. They are what are called pico fuses and are soldered into the board.

The first step would be to determine if the power supply is running at all. This requires finding a test point for the standby supply voltage. If it is dead, the power supply would need repair. If the set is in a shutdown mode protecting itelf, you can pull a diagnostic code by pressing the INPUT and MENU buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The LED will flash a 2 digit code and repeat several times.

Sounds like you need to let a pro troubleshoot the set. When you get an estimate, if they cannot fix in in one trip, report the details here and I will advise whether it sounds like you are dealing with a professional or a yahoo.

The leakage mentioned probably refers to coolant leaks from a CRT. IIRC, your set has a tray to collect any drips from the CRTs to protect the boards, so this is rarely an issue. It more commonly affected the signal board, not the power supply when it did happen on earlier models.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Old 08-26-09, 11:42 PM   #5

Bill
California
I started this thread.

The diagnostic is a no-go. Pressing the input & menu does nothing. I will report what I find with these "service dudes" & forward to you. I am located in So Cal, king of the TV. What would you think would be the value of this TV if it indeed cost me around $400-$500 or more? Is it really worth that money to fix? Should I just pony up & upgrade to a newer TV(maybe a smaller set)? I ask this cause I have been out of work & no definate job promise. So if this TV is worth the money even if I fork over 5 bills, I just want to be sure I do not spend $500-$600 and find out that in this market it was really only worth $200 in working order in the first place. I think you understand what I mean. (Don't worry-I won't hold you accountable- just want an opinion).

Old 08-27-09, 12:09 AM   #6
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

What it is worth on the market is likely closer to the $200 number, but that is irrelevant unless you intend to replace it with one that you know is available at that price right now. What is relevant is the comparison to what YOU would spend to replace it. These were great sets, but whether it is worth spending the money to fix it is a very personal question. I usally consider what you would replace it with, divide that by the expected life of the set and compare it to the cost of repair divided by the remaining life expected of the repair set. That way you compare the cost of ownership. Then consider if the extra up front cost of a new set is a significant factor to you. If it is not and the cost of owning a new set is not much more than the repaired set, then don't repair it.

Old 08-28-09, 08:53 PM   #7

Bill
California
I started this thread.

Follow up time.....$275 total & it is now up and running. It was some type of IC chip or something. He asked if I had a recent power failures, which I did have like 3 in 3 weeks. He suggested to unplug it until power goes back on if this happens again. Anyways, obviously more than I wanted to spend but not devasting! I wanted to just let you know. Thanks for your help, Bill.

Old 08-29-09, 02:44 AM   #8
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

Read this:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ur-system.html

Please post the details of the fix. The parts should have been identified on the bill. Post the breakdown of parts and labor. This information may prove useful to others in the future.

Old 09-06-09, 08:46 PM   #9

Huan
Since: Sep 2009
California

Need help!. I got the same problem as Bill mentioned before. Holding down the MENU and INPUT buttons on my WS-55807 for few seconds i have the power LED response repeatedly 2-1-2-1 ....(2 quick blinkings and 1 slow blinking). What was the problem exactly gentlemen?
Thanks,

Old 09-06-09, 10:36 PM   #10
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

Please start a new thread with your set, post the model number and describe your symptoms, what you have found, any troubleshooting, and any other info in your own words in detail.

Are you sure it is 2-1 and not 1-2?

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Mitsubishi »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »