Mitsubishi WD-52627 problem - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 12-23-09, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Cougar281

Mitsubishi WD-52627 problem

I'm looking at a WD-52627 that a local person has for sale. The problem with it is it's noisy (color wheel, most likely), and a corner has a pink hue to it. I was told this was probably the light tunnel, but wouldn't a light tunnel problem cause a dark spot or edge, not a color problem? The other part of that is the service manual indicates that the light tunnel gets taken off the old light engine and placed on the new one when replacing the LE, so it sounds like they usually don't go bad. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cougar281; 12-27-09 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-24-09, 06:27 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
re: Mitsubishi WD-52627 problem

I have never seen a light tunnel problem on a Mitsubishi. I was under the impression that they used a solid device rather than the cheaper tunnel of four mirrors that samsung used. Mitsubishi does not supply discrete parts for the optical engine on these sets.

Noise can ba from fans or a color wheel. The latter will be a much higher pitch. This would be very rare, but like above, not available as a discrete part.

The color in the corner may just be debris or cleaning, but I have not seen this problem at all in these sets.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-24-09, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Cougar281

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I have never seen a light tunnel problem on a Mitsubishi. I was under the impression that they used a solid device rather than the cheaper tunnel of four mirrors that samsung used. Mitsubishi does not supply discrete parts for the optical engine on these sets.

Noise can ba from fans or a color wheel. The latter will be a much higher pitch. This would be very rare, but like above, not available as a discrete part.

The color in the corner may just be debris or cleaning, but I have not seen this problem at all in these sets.
Thanks for the info; Do you know of a good source for the parts that are available? If it ends up being that it needs a light engine, the sources I have found either don't have any, or they want almost $2,000 for it...
post #4 of 17 Old 12-25-09, 05:59 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Mitsubishi is the only source that I know of for new parts. You can try ebay for scrappers.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-26-09, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Cougar281

I got it home and took it apart; The color wheel is definately bad; It looks like one of the segments moved out about half a mm, just enough to throw it out of balance. Upon searching the p/n (28S5593030), it appears if you look hard enough, it can be found.

The only other problems that I can find is the brass bosses in the lamp housing for the ballast plate are boogered up (two missing, one partially stripped and one so-so), and the 1"x1" piece of glass between the lamp and color weel has a "mark" in it and one of the corners appears chipped, no clue what caused it, possibly "burning" dust. I think with some replacement screws, a new color wheel and a good cleaning, it should be a nice TV.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-26-09, 08:45 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Let us know where you find the color wheel. That info may be useful to others in the future.

post #7 of 17 Old 12-27-09, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Cougar281

Just out of curiosity, any chance either of the numbers on the color wheel (28S5593030 and A15415) cross over to a color wheel from another make or model of TV? Aren't there other brands of DLP TV that use a color wheel with the same specs (6 segment 10,800 RPM)?
post #8 of 17 Old 12-27-09, 02:31 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I am not aware of any sets that used the same color wheel.

post #9 of 17 Old 12-28-09, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Cougar281

I found a Used Light Engine from a 62628 (Seller said TV was almost new, had a signal board problem that owner chose not to fix so it got parted out); near as I can tell, the light engine on the 52" & 62" TV's is almost identical (p/n for the 52" is -10 and 62" is -20), my guess between that and pictures of the two is the main/only difference is the lens. I'm going to take the color wheel out of the 62628 LE and put it in the 52627 LE and keep the "new" LE for parts if I ever need it, unless someone thinks I should swap the lenses and use the "newer" LE.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-28-09, 11:42 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Different chassis sets. The CW may or may not be the same.