Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

MITSUBISHI WS-73903 Black box problem

4K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
I am having a black box appearing in the middle of the screen but th CAPTIONS have been already set to OFF. This only happens when the tv is on, it does not show when the set-up menu is on-- I am also planning to change the stk392-040 on this tv because of convergence problem. Do you think it's the convergence that causing the black box to appear?

Any suggestions

#2 ·
If the blck box has video around it at the edges, it is most likely a text mode CC box. Make sure that the CC text mode is turned off on the set AND on any sources that might use CC. If that is not the problem, try doing a service level initialization, which is in the OPTION menu, described in the service manual. If your set has an EEPROM reset in that menu DO NOT confuse the two.

#4 ·
Okay, tried the closed caption but it did not work. I have tried to do the hard reset but since I don't have the original remote (but have a mitsubishi tv remote that works with the tv), but it did not work either. I hit menu once and did 2, 3, 5, 7 in that sequence but to no avail. Did it several times - nada.

Anyway, I check all the fuses and caps and see if I missed anything. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated!:clap:

#5 ·
Okay, made an error in the previous post but did an initial reset 1370 but nothing happened. It still have the black box in the middle of the screen. I need to double check the pico and the fuses and may have to replace them. Anybody out there who can tell me what values I need for the F9A04 + F9A05 and the fuses that are needed for the convergence failure issues -- I tried checking it out in the service manual and must not be looking at the right parts because I can't seem to find the part number --:scratch:

Thank you so much for your assistance. I am just a newbie who's finding out that I love electronics and if I fix this tv- it will be so awesome!:sn:

#11 ·
Text Display device Neon sign Neon Font

Technology Electronic device Display device Electronics

Technology Electronic device Display device Electronics

Light Electronics Games Technology Electronic device

Okay, hopefully this helps. As you can see the sides has the left vertical lines and static BLACK BOX then static again (this is on DSC02159). On the other attachment you can see the menu on top of the black box. Hopefully, it is the frozen PIP, if not, any ideas? I will call mitsubishi today (good luck to me!) and I'll post whatever they tell me

Thanks.:neener:

#12 ·
Okay, Mitsubishi's reply if it's the frozen pip is to cancel it without original remote is:

1. Press the PIP button 6 times - this should cancel it but it did not do that - it actually kept on rolling on all the pips

2. Press the PIP button and wait 10 seconds and then press the PIP again - did not work either!

I guess I may have to buy a harmony remote and see if I can code it with the tv and see if it can cancel the frozen pip if the is the real and actual problem!:hsd:

#13 ·
Just an update - still same problem with the big rectangular box in the middle of the screen so now I will take the board apart and make sure that all the chips and fuses have to be double check and hopefully I just missed something. Anybody has the same problem at all? I don't have the closed caption on at all so closed caption is not the problem.

Thanks.

#14 ·
Check your connections and power supply voltages. If those are correct the next level of troubleshooting will requre a scope and some understanding of these circuits that is likely beyond the DIY level.

#17 ·
What do you mean reset? There are several levels of reset. If you wiped it completely the set would likely not run. If you initialize the consumer settings you get out of box conditions. A service level reset, if the set has it, restores the eeprom to factory presets and you lose adjustments that correct for the variances between sets and you may require significant setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.