IB subs in ported enclosure - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

IB subs in ported enclosure

To me, I like certain specs and choose my speakers acordingly, then I determine what box I would prefer for the location it needs to fit in. I like low Fs, high Xmax basically. I have a grasp on most of the Thiele/Small, but not a thourough knowledge on all of them. Example, I get Mms is the mass of the moving parts combined with the mass of the air it moves. A thick heavy cone, larger coil, weighted dustcap...and a larger Sd creates larger Mms, which lowers Fs, lowers transients? (I have ideas but don't know)... yadda.

So I have a feel of things, but at the end of the day, I want a large clean stroke and I like smooth responce and low extention. I am a Tumult/Brahma/Avalanche/Maelstrom-X/Tempest-X kinda guy. RL-p not so much, they look awesome, but the rubber/plastic doesn't fit the same mould to me though the motor topology, not being XBL^2, is similar and parameters are similar.

But I don't believe in EBP. I know it works, it's tried and true, but I know which drivers I like, but if I have almost no room, I know the above subs will sound great in a sealed enclosure. If I get enough room to go ported and low, then I will reinforce the low end. I am just now getting into IB.

So I'm not getting my Avalanches back, the Maelstrom-X's don't have much for coil options, so along comes this cheap yet awesome Fi IB18.

I have a daily driver that my woman drives with my son. She's not into systems yet, but curious. We need trunk space, and not a whole lot for output. (I'm a basshead, so by not a lot of output, I mean I was going to run just the pair of 15" Avalanches sealed)

I might throw 1 IB18 in there in a large sealed if i can't get enough airspace to tune sub 30's.

I would like to get another dedicated SUV someday and wall 2 IB18's @ 16Hz for fun and wow factor.

I would like to build an IB manifold as well.

So couldn't a guy get the 4 or more IB18's for the deal, and use them in different enclosures and all function just fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 10:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: IB subs in ported enclosure

Quote:
I might throw 1 IB18 in there in a large sealed if i can't get enough airspace to tune sub 30's.
Model the IB18 in whatever size box the above would be and compare it against a box that is 10 times the Vas, which is what the IB18 was designed for. This comparison will show you the difference.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

I just ran out and measured the trunk as conservatively as possible. The one I am worried about most is trying to throw an IB18 in a trunk.

External 40" X 20" X16"

3/4" mdf, slot port all along the back and up 1 side to the front... 3" X 18.5" X 53"

Internal airspace about 3.7-3.8 cubes after sub displacement (terrible!) but 26Hz tune!

Will this work?

otherwise sealed would be a nice 5.8-5.9 ( NOOOO!!!! )
post #4 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 10:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Are you suggesting an IB18 in 3.8 cubes tuned to 26Hz?

post #5 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

I would do nothing of the sort kind sir!

I was wondering if an IB18 would be OK confined to 5.5 - 6 cubes sealed
post #6 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 12:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

It would work but it would be a waste of the subs capabilities. In 6 cu.ft. sealed with 600 watts input the sub would only use 16mm of its 30mm Xmax. That's modeling with the Fi IB18 specs, I'm not sure if the new Fi IB subs have the same specs or not as they are not yet posted.

post #7 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

I want to say so bad that it can probably handle much more than that, but especially not after seeing Scott's post about being happy to be dealing with HT more, and not liking car guys trying to throw 2 gigawatts at 250 watt subs lol.

I feared there wouldn't be an easy "fix" to my sub situation. I fear I need to find different subs for different applications...so i can still get 4 IB18's and I'll just have to run all 4 IB in home

As for the car, I don't even know if i will do either... daily or dedicated

(edit: and in-car will see much less excursion than that even)
post #8 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 01:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Car or home, staying within the manufacturers recommended limits is what gives years of trouble free service.

Just Say No To Recones!

post #9 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

hehehehe..... ok ok ok, youre right... I have learned that lesson enough.

So I'm thinking for the car, i already have a dual sealed box for a pair of 15's built...I should check into a pair of those Tempests, look for some used Tumults, or...

How about a Maelstom-X in that same box? I keep hearing the thing likes up to 3000 watts...

OK...fine...I'm gonna go look up manufacturer recommendations now
post #10 of 30 Old 11-15-08, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

Alright Mike,

So I got to read a little on the LLT... and i'm glad I did. While fantasizing about these IB's, I kept finding myself wanting to "cheat" it to use the rear wave any way. I need to stick to large and low tuned.

But, I was thinking earlier, how about using an IB18 infinite baffle in car? I mean the in-car definition of sealing the trunk off and mounting the sub in between the two. I know the trunk won't give 10X Vas.... but would this work well? It would make me a little less annoying driving by from front to back cancellation, I think it would require considerably less power.... still a decent FR curve???