best of both worlds car sub build - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 26 Old 08-05-09, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
beast from the east

Re: best of both worlds car sub build

just sealed up around the speaker wires going out of the box and I am about to put another coat on the box because of a few scratches from where I moved it around on unsmooth surfaces.

Hitachi CLU-436U1 Big screen TV : Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver : Motorola GI-2000 Cable Box : Philips DVP-5960 Dvd Player : Acoustech HT-85 Center : Acoustech HT-88 Towers : Sony Towers (12 years and don't know the model) : Venturi DV32 Surrounds : Edead eQ.2 Processor (subsonic filter) : Behringer EP1500 Amplifer : Ascendent Audio Avalanche 18" in 11 cuft tuned to 17hz) : Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 08-07-09, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
beast from the east

Here is a little read on dampening factor. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...amping-factor/

Conclusion quotes from the different articles:

"It has been found that a DF of about 20 is quite sufficient to dampen the voltage spikes from the speaker. An eye opener this one is it not? Good tube amps sound marvelous – low damping factors!"

"Secondly, the effects of this loss of damping on system frequency response is non-existent in most cases, and minimal in all but the worst case scenario. Using the criteria that 0.1 dB is the smallest audible peak, the data in the table suggests that any damping factor over 10 is going to result in inaudible differences between that and one equal to infinity. It's highly doubtful that a response peak of 1/3 dB is going to be identifiable reliably, thus extending the limit another factor of two lower to a damping factor of 5."

Hitachi CLU-436U1 Big screen TV : Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver : Motorola GI-2000 Cable Box : Philips DVP-5960 Dvd Player : Acoustech HT-85 Center : Acoustech HT-88 Towers : Sony Towers (12 years and don't know the model) : Venturi DV32 Surrounds : Edead eQ.2 Processor (subsonic filter) : Behringer EP1500 Amplifer : Ascendent Audio Avalanche 18" in 11 cuft tuned to 17hz) : Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Remote

Last edited by slim2fattycake; 08-07-09 at 11:18 AM.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-09-09, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
beast from the east

Well with the plug out tuned to 44hz, I got a hair under 144dB on the mic at the headrest and 144.2dB at the driver side kick panel. This is without any modification testing. Its really loud even with the 34hz tuning but it does blend in really well with music when I have the bass settings in the negatives on the head unit.

post #24 of 26 Old 10-28-09, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
beast from the east

A little update - I did some testing and changed the box long ways in the trunk to where the subs face the driver side and port facing rearend. I did a 146.2dB on 46hz in the driver kick and right under a 145dB at the headrest.

I won my first Meca show on the 24th. I did a 140.9dB at the headrest on music (lil' jon's B*tch) and a 35 amp fuse.

post #25 of 26 Old 10-28-09, 12:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
I did a 146.2dB on 46hz in the driver kick and right under a 145dB at the headrest.
That's excellent for a a pair of SSD 10's!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #26 of 26 Old 10-28-09, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
beast from the east

With a new competition tuned box, I'll get even louder. The best orientation for my trunk is subs back port back for frequencies around 46hz. I will be working on a new design for the 10" SSDs and testing to see if a 15" "unknown" sub is going to be better for my class or to stick with the SSDs. The 15" sub will have a little bit more cone area and it would be more efficient to drive 1 speaker instead of 2.