Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Time to replace OEM speakers

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ambesolman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, found this forum today, never noticed it before. I am a total novice with car audio. I need to replace the OEM speakers in my 2000 GMC Seirra truck. I am betting that upgrading the speakers will have a nice impact on the sound. Are there internet direct companies for car audio like there are for HT (ie SVS, Emotiva, Outlaw etc.) that give you good bang for your buck. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just a nice upgrade...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I am not aware of any Internet direct companies for car audio, but generally Amazon has plenty of offerings for aftermarket speakers at relatively inexpensive pricing. If you do not plan to power them with anything other than the factory equipment, look at Infinity, who makes a good replacement speaker for most vehicles.

#4 ·
I would not necessarily expect a vast improvement without adding a power amp, but the Infinity speakers are high sensitivity and sound pretty good with low power. If I were going to add a power amp, I would not choose these unless I was on a tight budget.

#5 ·
You see, I know very little about car audio. I assume that adding a power amp is akin to seperates in AV gear, ie more headroom, dynamics, clarity. Because I don't need more volume, the factory system (need to look up what kind of power it has) plays plently loud :eek:lddude:. I read a review the other day on a car audio website where a stock system was upgraded piece by piece starting with the speakers. They said the biggest improvement came with the 1st upgrade which was the speakers...everything else provided smaller differences in sound quality. My speakers are blown after 12 years of use & 2 teenage daughters now driving & listening to their music. I sure they crank it up just like I did at their age! So this is why I would like to upgrade the speakers, just don't know anything about names in the audio market. If SVS or the like made car speakers I'd be in business. Would like a quality speaker that can stand some of that teenage cranking. And I don't even know what a fair price is for a this kind of speaker. Thus my post.

#7 ·
An excellent resource for learning about car audio is www.crutchfield.com. They carry several very good product lines, including Focal and JL Audio. These brands are high priced, but their performance is very highly regarded.

For internet direct equivalents, check out Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers and Arc Audio amplifiers. They are the closest thing I've found to ID for the car audio world. If you have room for a component set, JBL has a great set for the money. I can't remember the model number, but can look it up if you are interested.

#8 ·
ls1_sounds said:
An excellent resource for learning about car audio is www.crutchfield.com. They carry several very good product lines, including Focal and JL Audio. These brands are high priced, but their performance is very highly regarded.

For internet direct equivalents, check out Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers and Arc Audio amplifiers. They are the closest thing I've found to ID for the car audio world. If you have room for a component set, JBL has a great set for the money. I can't remember the model number, but can look it up if you are interested.
+1 for the Focals. I've had three car audio systems and the Focals blew both the others away. Get some components for the fronts and put them on a 4ch amp and you're in business. I kept the sets I have from my old S4 and not bothering with a system in my current car cuz I'm hoping not to have it for more than another year or two, but they'll definitely be going in my next ride. Worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.