Favorite Actors - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 06-08-07, 11:54 AM
Re: Favorite Actors

Bruce Campbell - "TCB Baby" (Bubba Ho-Tep)
Steven Chow - Kung Fu Hustle is a must see!
John Goodman - Big Lebowski/ anything by the Cohen brothers!

Many more...just can't think right now...

NOVA - Ever see True Romance? Oldman has a great performace as a White Pimp! (who thinks he's black)
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 22 Old 06-08-07, 12:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Seems familiar,...don't remember if I've seen it.
Looked up on IMDB and wow,... what a cast! Still don't remember watching it though.

post #13 of 22 Old 06-08-07, 02:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Arnold Schwarzenegger
post #14 of 22 Old 07-12-07, 08:58 PM
Senior Shackster
Richard W. Haines

I have an unusual proviso for what I consider great screen acting. I like performers who can project what they are thinking or feeling in their face rather than in dialogue. In other words, I'm impressed with actors who can 'think' on screen. This is more difficult than you suppose. Any professional thespian can memorize lines and come up with bits of business to make a scene work but one who can do it all in a subtle look or just with their eyes is what screen presence is all about. Among my favorites in this category are Steve McQueen, Spencer Tracy, James Stewart, Robert De Niro and William Holden. McQueen liked to go through a script and cross out as many lines as he could and tell the director that he would create what was necessary with a look or a gesture. Much of "Rear Window" was Stewart reacting to what he sees outside his window. Holden's performance in "The Wild Bunch" was conveyed through his eyes and weather worn face. De Niro's characterizations in "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull" were contained in his facial expressions. You can see the rage building up in him until he explodes.

This only applies to dramatic actors. Comedy is a different medium with other criteria. Buster Keaton
used his entire body for his performances while keeping his face expressionless. He was known as 'stone face' but it worked for him. Other comedians relied heavily on 'reacting'. Oliver Hardy was one of the best 'reactors' and much of his humor was derived by breaking the fourth wall and looking directly at the audience in frustration.

Curiously, I've changed my opinions on some actors over the years. I used to consider Brando one
of the best but as I watch his pictures again on DVD, I'm always aware that he is 'acting' now. Only in the early roles like Terry Malloy in "On the Waterfront" and one of his later characters like Don Corleone was he a believable character. Brando was an excellent mimic and could simulate any accent or ethnicity convincingly but it seems as if he relied too much on schtick and bits of business. I'm not suggesting that he didn't have a screen presence...he did (while he was in good physical shape anyway) but I think he tended to be indulgent in too many cases. I really enjoy watching pictures like "Mutiny on the Bounty" and he did a great fop impression but that's what it was...an impression. You never believed for a moment that this was a real character nor someone who could lead a mutiny. The same applied to his gangster in "Guys and Dolls", Japanese servant in "Teahouse of the August Moon", Nazi in "The Young Lions" and biker in "The Wild One". All entertaining 'play acting'. I never thought he 'became' those characters even though he was considered the quintessential Method actor of the time. I just saw "The Young Lions" again and while it was funny when he ate the snowball like it was a meatball, it distracted you from the tortured character he was supposed to be portraying. It was hard to take him seriously. I have the same problem with James Dean, the other notable Method player of the era. In his three films, I get the feeling that he's not only 'acting' but doing a Brando impersonation. I'm not sure they hold up as well as some contemporary Method performances like the above mentioned "Taxi Driver". You completely forget that it's De Niro playing the role and believed he actually was Travis Bickle. The same applies to Johnny Depp and Martin Landau in "Ed Wood". I thought I was watching the real people, not actors playing them. Landau WAS Lugosi, not the guy from TV's "Mission Impossible".

Anyway, that's what I look for in a dramatic actor...I think.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-12-07, 09:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Lately, I've been a a big fan of Robert Patrick.

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-13-07, 12:51 PM
Elite Shackster

I like a lot of different actors for various reasons.

In no particular order:
Kurt Russell is always fun to watch. I don't think I've seen anything he's done that I didn't like him in.

Clint- What can I say? I grew up watching his westerns and Dirty Harry movies. He started the whole anti-hero thing and in my opinion was the best. He has literally been in every movie genre that there is, albeit horror was only a bit part (Return of the Creature) to a musical (Paint Your Wagon). Now he's showing his directing skills. The only thing I don't think he's done is to write a screenplay, although I'm sure as a director he's made many changes to them.

Stallone- He doesn't get near the credit I think he deserves, mostly because of his '80's sellout. By that I mean it seemed after a very promising career start, money took over and he started making any movie that came along just for the money. At one time he was actually considered in the status of De Niro and Pacino. Most of my respect goes to Stallone for being a writer as well as an actor. Age seems to have humbled him some and he is finally doing things the way he should have all along.

Arnold- John Millus said it best in his interview for Conan. He said no other actor could have played the role and if Arnold didn't exist, they would have had to build him. I can't say I think he is a great actor, but I enjoy his movies. They are a fun popcorn evening.

De Niro- I like him as him. Some people are going to blast me on this, De Niro is a fine actor, but primarily he plays the same character.

Carey Grant- The quintessential bachelor and gentleman. I have an entire stack of movies devoted to his work.

Tom Selleck- He's one of my favorites. He always seems relaxed and it's like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in awhile. One of my all time favorite westerns along side the likes of Tomb Stone, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and the spagetti westerns is Quiggly Down Under. I love the line at the end that Selleck says to Alan Rickman about using a Colt revolver, "Said I never had much use for one... never said I didn't know how to use one."

Alan Rickman- Has there actually been another bad guy good enough to go up against Bruce Willis in any of the Die Hard movies other than Rickman?

Jack Nicholson- He's a totally different guy now, but still amazing and always fun to watch.

Christopher Walken and Harvey Keitel- I love these two guys no matter what they are in.

Bruce Willis- I guess the primary reason I like him is he's a lot like Spidey... sarcastic yet cool. I'm actually one of the few people that love Hudson Hawk, but I also didn't take it serious and I like Mr. Bean and Montey Python too! I would rather have seen more movies like The Last Boy Scout than Die Hard 2 though.

Mel Gibson- BraveHeart is one of my all time favorites.

Sean Connery- From Bond to King Author, nobody does it better!

Morgan Freeman

Dennis Quiad

Women never seem to get a fair shake when it comes to an all time greats list.

Audrey Hepburn had class and style.

I also like Goldie Hawn and think she's just as good at drama as comedy.

Same goes for Jodie Foster...

For eye candy I especially like Angelina and Kate Beckenshaw

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #17 of 22 Old 07-16-07, 10:28 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

I'm a sucker for Christopher Walken. He has his own brand of crazy that nobody else can match.

I like Ray Liotta a lot too, he was great in Goodfellas, and watching Smokin Aces reminded me how much I liked him.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #18 of 22 Old 07-16-07, 10:34 AM
Senior Shackster
Richard W. Haines

Almost worthy of a separate thread...crazy/weird actors. Walkin is certainly one. James Wood,
Eric Roberts, Rod Steiger are others that come to mind. Certainly Brando is most of his post-
"Apocalypse Now" roles would fit although as a director I would never put up with the stuff he
put filmmakers like Frank Oz through. I would've fired and sued him if he refused to take direction
from the official director but that's another story.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-16-07, 10:35 AM
Elite Shackster

I forgot about James Woods... he's another one I like.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #20 of 22 Old 07-16-07, 01:31 PM

Christopher Walken - one of our favorite smaller parts he played, was in Blast From The Past.
Harrison Ford
Tom Hanks
Tommy Lee Jones
Cary Grant
William Powell
Clint Eastwood
Tom Selleck - especially High Road To China (wish they'd put it on dvd)

Now, don't flame me for this last one. I've been flamed many times for it. I know he's not the best actor out there, but I like most of his movies. In fact, I own all his movies. He also plays lead guitar and sings in a fairly decent blues band.
Steven Seagal

Let me see if this will work now.........
I'll bet that one or two of you Christopher Walken fans haven't seen this before:

Last edited by jvc; 07-16-07 at 01:38 PM.

actors , favorite

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page