Favorite Concert/Performance DVD's - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 87 Old 01-08-11, 07:38 PM
Re: Favorite Concert/Performance DVD's

Ok, just ordered that one too!
Sponsored Links
post #72 of 87 Old 01-13-11, 11:31 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

My brother loaned me Neil Young Heart of Gold and I really enjoyed it a lot.
Excellent performance and very good sound quality.
Its a toss up between this and the Roy Orbison Black and White Night DVD, hard to beat either one.
Oh yeah, I just thought of one more ... A Concert For George
post #73 of 87 Old 01-14-11, 08:35 AM

Jeff Beck - "performing this week... Live at Ronnie Scott's". It's a blu-ray, not DVD, but it is a must see/listen for Jeff Beck fans IMO
post #74 of 87 Old 01-14-11, 11:22 AM
Senior Shackster

gooddoc wrote: View Post
Jeff Beck - "performing this week... Live at Ronnie Scott's". It's a blu-ray, not DVD, but it is a must see/listen for Jeff Beck fans IMO
Very good show, I have seen it on the Palladia channel, the young gal that plays bass for him is awsome. I might actually pick this one up, its a keeper.
post #75 of 87 Old 01-14-11, 06:32 PM

I'm not what you'd call a Beck "fan", but that show was outstanding! Caught it on pldia as well. Another to add to my list.
post #76 of 87 Old 01-15-11, 12:19 AM

all im gonna say is eric clapton. he is by far one of the most talented and ahead of his time artists. i bet you didnt know that he used to teach other guitarists. one more car and one more rider has dts and it will lull you in to a fantasy world.
post #77 of 87 Old 02-02-11, 02:15 PM
Senior Shackster

The Who - The Kids Are All Right

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Union Station - Live

Sting - A Winter's Night

And also, a PBS tribute to Paul Simon that had several performers doing great covers of his songs.

And one more, T Rex - Born to Boogie

And another, Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and the Englishmen. That one has Leon Russel at his finest, together with Joe belting it out like nobody else can.

Last edited by Trick McKaha; 02-02-11 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added the Mad Dogs
post #78 of 87 Old 02-25-11, 10:13 AM

drummerbill wrote: View Post
Just scored a bunch of Blu-Ray Concert/ videos from a store blowing them out at $10.99 each.

I will start with a quick comment on each. This is my opinion of the Blue-Ray versions on a 61" Samsung DLP with a Marantz 6003 with all Kef Uni-q speakers calibrated properly.

K.D. Lang "Live in London". Reference quality audio and video. Not twang county music, but nicely done ballads and songbook. Beautiful lighting and intimate performance.

Pat Metheny "The Way Up- Live". Nicely done all instrumental audio and video. Smooth jazz that will put you in a dreamy distant world. IMHO.

Return To Forever "Live at Montreux 2008". This one is a subwoofer/ speaker workout. Jazz Rock instrumental fusion, nicely filmed. Nice mix, reminicent of the show I saw in NY.

Jeff Beck "Performing This Week". Nicely filmed jazz/ rock fusion with a brighter mix than the above examples. A true jem for Beck/ fusion fans. IMHO

Santana "Hymns for Peace" Live at Montreux 2004. Allstar concert with Santana Band, John McLaughlin {gtr}, and a monster band including H Hancock {Keys}. Long show {Over 3 hours} with a bunch of African vocalists singing covers, but there is a good 1/2 of it that has great "burning" instrumental jams.

Heart "Alive in Seattle". If you dig this band, the audio and video are nicely done. Full hi-def AV.

George Michael "Live in London". Ok, I bought this for the wife. True concert like experience, great audio and video. {Not for the homophobic} I thought this was a good demo for my system. My wife and her friends had a wine and concert experience, and danced and cried though the whole performance.

Pink "Funhouse Tour". {File under the wifes "style"} New concert, full hi-def speaker work-out in a circus like stage setting and lots of Pink shown in various states of undress. IMHO

Michael Jackson "This is It". Another wife selection, but something I actually enjoyed with the kids.
This is a collection of hi-def rehearsal performances done right before Michael passed. Nice documentary explaining the work involved in what was going to be 50+ perfomances at England's O2 Concert Arena. This one suprised me, as it actually comes across as a concert if you use your imagination. Audio well done. IMHO

Stevie Wonder "Live at Last". Full Hi-def AV. Nice career spanning collection of music for Stevie fans.
I wasn't that impressed with the mix, but it works. {I ended up boosting the sub for this, which I never ever do.}

Deep Purple "Live at Montreux 2006". Nicely done, with newer guitarist Steve Morse {Dixxie Dreggs/ solo} on guitar. Rocking good speaker workout .

Alice Cooper "Live at Montreux 2005" . Not sure why I purchased this. {$10 ? } I guess if you are a Cooper fan you might like this. The DTX mix is harsh to these ears. Crank it at concert level and it hurts even more. IMHO Actually though, the wife and kids enjoyed the horror show theatics and rock concert experience. Your mileage will vary.

Moody Blues "Lovely To See You - Live" . Nice concert for "Moodies" fans. Ok AV, with an older concert feel as far as camera editing. Mix is done nicely, nothing too spectacular though. IMHO
I enjoyed this.

Eric Clapton and Steve Windwood "Live from Madison Square Garden" . Nicely done mix and camera work for the true fan. Not the "bang" I get from the first four discs I listed, though.

Stevie Nicks "Live". This was a Soundstage concert filmed for PBS. I honestly think that the audio and video are done wonderfully. If you are a Stevie or Fleetwood Mac fan, I think you will love this. I think this disc directed by Joe thomas, blows away the later era Soundstages done on PBS.

Steve Vai "Where The Wild things Are". New blu-ray offering only 720 dpi video and 5.1 dolby digital audio. Despite the lower guality AV this is still done nicely for those fans of instrumentsl "shred fest" guitar fusion/ monster musician music. Wonderful electic violinists in the band, and a speaker workout.

Jethro Tull "Live at Montreux- 2003". Not Ian's classic musician line-up band but a good representation of his later tours. IMHO. The mix is bright to these ears and required tweeking. Still a good offering for fans of the music/ genra.

Ok, I have another dozen to comment on but am tired of typing.

I ll give a try Santana "Hymns for Peace" Live at Montreux 2004.
post #79 of 87 Old 08-27-11, 06:10 AM
My System

Score by dream theater and back in the us by macartney are two of my favs.
post #80 of 87 Old 03-19-12, 10:41 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

I do enjoy concerts on DVD/ Blu-ray a few of my favorites are:

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City: The audio and video quality of this is exceptional, if you are a fan of Dave and Tim this is a must own.

John Mayer: Where the Light Is: I am a big John Mayer fan and love this, it covers a very wide range of his music and has some fun behind the scenes stuff between different sets. Highly recommended!

Elton 60: Live at Madison Square Garden: another must own on blu ray, outstanding performance with just about perfect audio and video quality.

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood live from Madison Square Garden

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010: great performances

Jack Johnson: En Concert this is a fun collection of live performances mixed with a bit of documentary.

Between the Lines: Sara Bareilles Live at the Filmore

Billy Joel: Live At Shea Stadium

Legends: Live At Montreux 1997

Chris Botti in Boston: great performance

Concert for George: a bit disappointed with the video quality on blu but the audio is excellent as is the concert itself. I also have this on DVD and it was worth upgrading just for the audio.

Sting: Live in Berlin

Live From Abbey Road: Best of Season One: some great performances, lots of different artists on this disk most I liked some I did not but it was well worth it for the ones I like.

Paul Simon & Friends: Library of Congress

Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid

James Taylor One Man Band: I have this on DVD and would love to get it on blu-ray should it become available

concert or performance , dvd , favorite

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page