What movie did you watch last night? - Page 197 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

35Likes

post #1961 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 12:23 PM
Banned!

My System
Re: What movie did you watch last night?

Yesterday, we received a copy of the director's final cut of "Blade Runner."

See the most helpful review in the above link. Several changes; a dream scene added, better sound track, voice over removed, visuals were cleaned up with better blacks and shadows, a scene correction, a concept change and a different ending.

It's going feel weird watching a loved movie with so many "minor" changes.

Last edited by BeeMan458; 03-12-14 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1962 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 12:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Watched The Book Thief last night, enjoyable movie. Great picture quality and moving story.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #1963 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 12:39 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Last night I saw 300: Rise of an Empire in Atmos 3D. I quite enjoyed it; in fact I would say it's better than the original 300. It fills in the events that occurred before, during and after the original 300. Eva Green's Artemisia character really steals the show and I hope this helps to reinvigorate her career.

As you would expect this is quite the CGI fest with many action scenes peppered with slow-mo and excessive amounts of digitized blood. The 3D was good but not distracting and the Atmos surrounds were used effectively with liberal use of LFE when called upon which should translate well to the BR release.
post #1964 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 12:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
Infrasonic wrote: View Post
Last night I saw 300: Rise of an Empire in Atmos 3D. I quite enjoyed it; in fact I would say it's better than the original 300. It fills in the events that occurred before, during and after the original 300. Eva Green's Artemisia character really steals the show and I hope this helps to reinvigorate her career. As you would expect this is quite the CGI fest with many action scenes peppered with slow-mo and excessive amounts of digitized blood. The 3D was good but not distracting and the Atmos surrounds were used effectively with liberal use of LFE when called upon which should translate well to the BR release.
awesome! Nice quick review. ...can't wait to see this.
post #1965 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 06:35 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
BeeMan458 wrote: View Post
Watched R.I.P.D. which is a MIB knockoff but there was something wrong with the sound track and it kept cutting out. I checked the blu-ray and blew canned air into the blu-ray player and that seemed to tame the problem but it was still there and even though DTS-HD MA, it was a terrible sound track and distracted from the movie.

(after the sound track in "Flyboys" I became terminally spoiled)

The last two movie sound tracks since "Flyboys," "Olympus Has Fallen" and the "R.I.P.D," were terrible by comparison.

(i guess i've turned into a sound track snob)

Try switching to PCM - I seem to recall a couple other movies that had this occur (Total Recall pops into my head) and switching to PCM from Bitstream corrected that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #1966 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 06:44 PM
Banned!

My System

Thanks for the thought. My fault. I thought I had done a passing job of making sure the disk was clean and when I recleaned it this afternoon, not a single skip.

The sound track is still flat (lacking dynamics), with little depth to it but, no skipping and that was my main comment. I'll amend my original comments.

For future reference, just to be sure I understand what you're sharing, currently we have bitstream out of the blu-ray player and the AVR does the LPCM decoding. And what you're suggesting, if I do get this sort of cut-out, I should let the blu-ray player do the PCM decoding?

Last edited by BeeMan458; 03-12-14 at 07:03 PM.
post #1967 of 4220 Old 03-12-14, 06:51 PM
Shackster

Caddyshack! I knew it was some sort of classic 80's comedy, and could recognize some scenes from it, but had never actually watched the whole thing. Done! It was cute and entertaining.
post #1968 of 4220 Old 03-13-14, 10:46 AM
Banned!

My System

(Whine!)

I can't afford blu-ray viewing.

What do you guys do? The commercial programming, provided by Comcast has become unbearable. Last night, all we could watch was "Cops", "Cops Reloaded" and "Alaskan State Troopers" as everything else was garbage.....well, except for a couple of shows that put my wife immediately to sleep.

In the form of blu-ray disk, how does one afford a nightly stream of uninterrupted, uncompressed movie viewing?

If we watch a blu-ray a night, we're looking at about $360.00 USD a month. If we were rich, which we're not, who cares........what's a person to do who's sick of twenty minuets of commercials, every hour of viewing?

(we have about eleven blu-rays in the queue for our viewing pleasure so I don't want to be quick and burn them up)

(please don't say, lower our standards and go with streaming)

(TIA as this is a serious question)

Last edited by BeeMan458; 03-13-14 at 11:01 AM.
post #1969 of 4220 Old 03-13-14, 11:14 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Hey Beeman, I get your frustration. I know some others with comcast, and have nothing good to say either. This is only a suggestion, but you might want to look at a dish setup wth a hopper. (Read: happah, New England accent!) it's a whole house DVR, plus it does auto skip when recording broadcast tv. And you can set it up to auto record all(?) regular channels for up to 7 days, or something. ...can't come up with all that right now. If you can live with the performance ( same as cable to my estimation), you might be ok. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's "cheapah"! We have a single DVR right now, and it works "ok". Plus it makes blu-ray viewing just a little extra special, when time comes. ...just an idea, not necessarily a be all, end all.
post #1970 of 4220 Old 03-13-14, 12:54 PM
Banned!

My System

Thanks for the reply. On this matter, I have much to learn.

Checking out the Dish packages.

Last edited by BeeMan458; 03-13-14 at 01:41 PM.