What movie did you watch last night? - Page 253 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 35Likes
 
Thread Tools
post #2521 of 4220 Old 06-18-14, 11:18 PM
Elite Shackster
 
JBrax's Avatar
Jeff
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,228
My System
Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
Monument Men and Joe. Monument Men was ok, not exciting really. Joe was good but a weak plot overall, it really didn't go anywhere or explain what was up with Joe.
Joe was on my watch list due to the good reviews on Flixster. Not a big Cage fan (recent movies anyway) but it was recommended. Haven't liked much from him since 8mm and The Rock.
JBrax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2522 of 4220 Old 06-18-14, 11:29 PM
Elite Shackster
 
phillihp23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,124
My System
Re: What movie did you watch last night?

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Joe was on my watch list due to the good reviews on Flixster. Not a big Cage fan (recent movies anyway) but it was recommended. Haven't liked much from him since 8mm and The Rock.
Don't get me wrong, I thought cage did good acting in Joe. I just find there seems to be a trend in movie scripts lately in which it comes off as an unfinished story.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
phillihp23 is offline  
post #2523 of 4220 Old 06-19-14, 12:04 AM
Elite Shackster
 
JBrax's Avatar
Jeff
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,228
My System
Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong, I thought cage did good acting in Joe. I just find there seems to be a trend in movie scripts lately in which it comes off as an unfinished story.
Yes, I understand but I'll still watch it just based on the overall positive reviews it received.
JBrax is offline  
post #2524 of 4220 Old 06-19-14, 12:04 AM
Elite Shackster
 
JBrax's Avatar
Jeff
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,228
My System
Watching Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit right now. Very good so far.
JBrax is offline  
post #2525 of 4220 Old 06-19-14, 12:53 AM
Elite Shackster
 
JBrax's Avatar
Jeff
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,228
My System
Just finished Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and it was very good. I'm not a reader of the Tom Clancy books so there wasn't any preconceived expectations based off the books. Outstanding audio as Mike eluded to in his review and a must watch and personally a buy for those fans of action films. Not original as this movie has been done a hundred times over but that didn't lessen the entertainment value in my opinion.
JBrax is offline  
post #2526 of 4220 Old 06-19-14, 05:01 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
Mike Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,221
My System
Re: What movie did you watch last night?

Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
Monument Men and Joe.
Monument Men was ok, not exciting really. Joe was good but a weak plot overall, it really didn't go anywhere or explain what was up with Joe.
Joe wasn't the main character really. the story wasn't about having an overarching plot, but rather it's a "slice of life" story where we're focused more on Tye Sheridan's character during this point and time in his life. and the impact Joe had on his life rather than finding out every little detail. more of a "coming of age" story so to speak
Mike Edwards is online now  
post #2527 of 4220 Old 06-20-14, 12:06 AM
Elite Shackster
 
phillihp23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,124
My System
Re: What movie did you watch last night?

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
Joe wasn't the main character really. the story wasn't about having an overarching plot, but rather it's a "slice of life" story where we're focused more on Tye Sheridan's character during this point and time in his life. and the impact Joe had on his life rather than finding out every little detail. more of a "coming of age" story so to speak
I guess i'm just not a fan of this style of film "slice of life". Probably due to my personality, I tend to like to start a project and see it through to the end. Not much of a jump into the middle of something, and then just walk away and feel content kind of person.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
phillihp23 is offline  
post #2528 of 4220 Old 06-20-14, 12:08 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
Mike Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,221
My System
Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post

I guess i'm just not a fan of this style of film "slice of life". Probably due to my personality, I tend to like to start a project and see it through to the end. Not much of a jump into the middle of something, and then just walk away and feel content kind of person.
Lol. Definitely a concrete sequential personality. My wife is the same way
Mike Edwards is online now  
post #2529 of 4220 Old 06-21-14, 12:43 AM
Elite Shackster
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,652
My System
El Gringo was decent. It resembled El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico with the over the top storyline and flashbacks.
Most have seen this movie since it's about two years old but if you haven't seen it I recommend it as a rental only.
asere is online now  
post #2530 of 4220 Old 06-21-14, 12:47 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
Mike Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,221
My System
Re: What movie did you watch last night?

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
El Gringo was decent. It resembled El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico with the over the top storyline and flashbacks.
Most have seen this movie since it's about two years old but if you haven't seen it I recommend it as a rental only.
do you mean "Get the Gringo" with Mel Gibson?
Mike Edwards is online now  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
movie , night , watch

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome