What movie did you watch last night? - Page 414 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

35Likes

post #4131 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 09:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Re-watched Ex Machina. Love that movie...one of my favorites from the last few years.
So did I and one of the few out with the DTS:X soundtrack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4132 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 09:57 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: What movie did you watch last night?

Quote:
Re-watched Ex Machina. Love that movie...one of my favorites from the last few years.
I really loved Ex Machina easily one of my favorite movies from last year and definitely one of the better Sci-fi movies in a long time... I really need to watch it again!
post #4133 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 11:10 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
So did I and one of the few out with the DTS:X soundtrack.
It's sound is top notch... this is the first time I've watched it with DTS:X activated on my AVR. Image quality is weirdly soft though... but the movie is so go that I can over look it. ;-)
post #4134 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 01:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
It's sound is top notch... this is the first time I've watched it with DTS:X activated on my AVR. Image quality is weirdly soft though... but the movie is so go that I can over look it. ;-)
I found it to also be on the soft side. I had to turn it up much higher than we normally do. Regardless, I was just excited to see DTS:X lit up on my Marantz.
post #4135 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 02:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

^^ I think he was referring to the image being soft, not the sound. As in, the image was not as razor sharp as he has come to expect from today's blockbusters on blu ray. Although there have been a couple titles I've played lately that have required higher master volume settings to achieve the level I expect. What happened to standards?
post #4136 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 02:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System

Yes, looks like he was talking image quality. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the audio. Mostly dialogue driven but I found the audio mix to be on the tame side. Maybe I'll spin it again to see if I still feel the same. I did some reassigning of my speakers after watching it.
post #4137 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 02:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Yes, looks like he was talking image quality. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the audio. Mostly dialogue driven but I found the audio mix to be on the tame side. Maybe I'll spin it again to see if I still feel the same. I did some reassigning of my speakers after watching it.
There were a few moments in there movie that were "dynamic" but for the most part it was fairly tame as to be expected in a mostly dialog driven movie. Interesting that it was chosen as the first blu-ray title to feature DTS-X
post #4138 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 02:15 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Yup, I was talking about the video transfer.

Jeff, I know it's not a crazy action oriented surround experience... but the audio is highly nuanced. It has a ton of height...and when the power shuts down....
post #4139 of 4225 Old 07-20-16, 02:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Yup, I was talking about the video transfer.

Jeff, I know it's not a crazy action oriented surround experience... but the audio is highly nuanced. It has a ton of height...and when the power shuts down....
Now I do remember some serious LFE during the power scenes. You've got me wanting to spin it again.
post #4140 of 4225 Old 07-28-16, 06:04 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I watched The Peanuts Movie with the kids last night. I thought it was a great throwback to the past. It was simple and charming and thankfully didn't feel the need to reinvent itself to appeal to today's kids. My kids (from 2 to 10 years old) all enjoyed it a lot. The video was pristine, of course. The audio is very subdued in general, which I thought was appropriate. However, when the airplane scenes come along, there is great directionality throughout the soundfield, including one or two examples of audio that seemed to come from overhead (no Atmos or DSU/DTS:X Neural upmixing here). A very enjoyable watch.