I don't get 3D - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-13, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
I don't get 3D

So the wife and I went to see "The Hobbit" the other day at the local theater, after buying our tickets the young man reaches under the counter and hands us 3D glasses. I had never seen a movie in 3D and have been avoiding them. They did not have the standard version playing so we went ahead on in. Well we were the first people in the theater so had our choice of seats. I chose about 2/3 the way back in the middle of the row. Let me say that I have been wearing glasses for almost 50 years and have had "no line" bi-focals for more than 10. The movie starts and after the first 10 minuets I wanted my money back. It was the worst movie experience I think I have ever had. The movie was dark, I spent most of my time moving my head around trying to find a focus point. There was a massive amount of white light pouring out from the projector room. And the sound! Well it was thin and unimpressive. More like a cheap transistor radio piped thru a high school PA system.

That said, am I missing something? Or has Hollywood foisted this 3D thing upon us as the "latest and greatest" of the emperors new clothes?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-13, 02:09 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
I'm not a huge fan of 3d myself after about 15minutes I get a headache.. I've never been to a theater to watch a 3D movie I feel it's more a distraction waiting to see what is coming at you then to actually watch the movie. My daughter on the other hand(3) thinks its the coolest thing ever and runs back and forth behind the tv to see where it's coming from
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-13, 05:30 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
While I do prefer the 2D version most of the time I must also say when done right the 3D experience is great. Check out Avatar, Tron, or Hugo and then if you still don't enjoy it then it's just not for you.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-11-13, 04:45 AM
HTS Moderator
Wayne Myers
Re: I don't get 3D

My first 3-D movie experience was Jaws 3-D back in the stone age. It was an awful movie, poorly filmed, and poorly aligned at the theater. A chameleon's independent eye control was called for. I was not impressed.

It has gotten a lot better, I have seen a few 3-D movies where it added something and wasn't too distracting.

For what it is worth, different people prioritize the use of the senses differently. For those who are highly visual by nature, 3-D may be more important (or they may be far more picky visually and may dislike it for that). I personally am more auditory, so the sound has to be great for me and I am not quite as particular about the visuals. This is an interesting Nero Linguistic Programming topic,.

To each her/his own, for now I will sit through 3-D, perhaps even enjoy it, but don't miss it when it is not there.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-11-13, 06:47 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Todd Anderson
My System
I'm in the "don't like" camp on this one. It makes me feel sick after about 20 minutes. I saw Up and How To Train Your Dragon in the theaters w my kids. There were moments that I thought looked neat. But in general the reduction in brightness and color vibrancy along with feeling lousy are detractors that outweigh the benefits.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-13, 02:42 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

It is hard to say based on one experience in one theater but if the audio was that bad on a movie that is widely regarded as having excellent audio there is a chance that the video was not all it should of been either.
I am not saying to rush out and try to see another 3D movie but if you find yourself in a similar situation (at a different theater) you might want to give it another shot.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-13, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

when they do 3d that looks like a star trek holodeck im in.till then i can say im not a big fan either.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-13, 11:55 AM
Senior Shackster

I, for one, and in the LIKE camp. I have a Sony HW30 projector and love watching 3D movies. I don't get eye strain though some people might experience it. It's true some 3D movies are better then others. When it comes to 'live' movies the ones that look the best were filmed using 3D cameras (The Hobbit is one of them). I have not seen it in 3D yet - I'm going to wait for the extended version later this year. As a prior post suggests: Avatar, Hugo, Pi, Tangled, Despicable Me, Toy Story 3, and others look great in 3D.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-13, 05:42 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

I'm in the "like camp."

When done correctly it is very nice. During Avatar I completely fogot it was 3D & from time to time would focus on it & go...yep, it's still 3d. You have to read the label like any product. I refuse to go see any offering that is "3D post processing." This is where they take a 2D movie & with computers, convert it into 3D. I have never seen one done well. But shot with a 3D camera & done well, they are enjoyable.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-13, 02:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Tonto wrote: View Post
During Avatar I completely fogot it was 3D & from time to time would focus on it & go...yep, it's still 3d. You have to read the label like any product. I refuse to go see any offering that is "3D post processing." This is where they take a 2D movie & with computers, convert it into 3D. I have never seen one done well.
If you've seen Avatar, then you've seen several 2D to 3D conversion shots "done well". One of the opening shots, where you see a close up of the main character's eye, was shot 2D and post-converted to 3D. No one can tell.

Another movie "shot in 3D" was Transformers 3, which many people said was the best 3D since Titanic. Except about half the film was shot 2D and post-converted to 3D. Again, no one could tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page