Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Movies | TV Shows | Hollywood (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/movies-tv-shows-hollywood/)
-   -   It doesn't matter who wins the format war... HD media will eventually turn to downloads... (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/movies-tv-shows-hollywood/8596-doesnt-matter-who-wins-format-war-hd-media-will-eventually-turn-downloads.html)

majorloser 01-11-08 09:16 PM

Think Outside the Box or It Doesn't Matter Who Wins the Format War

I think the real point is, "Who cares who wins!"

Until you can go to the neighborhood rental place or on-line renter and readily get any of the formats, it doesn't matter :rant:

Mr and Mrs. Joe Sixpack are looking for convienence. The downloaded formats will eventually win just because they're the easiest way to get the material into the home. No warehouse, no postage, minimal staffing.........in other words CHEAPER.

Sonnie 01-11-08 09:16 PM

It doesn't matter who wins the format war... HD media will eventually turn to downloads...

Quote:

I think the real point is, "Who cares who wins!"

Until you can go to the neighborhood rental place or on-line renter and readily get any of the formats, it doesn't matter

Mr and Mrs. Joe Sixpack are looking for convienence. The downloaded formats will eventually win just because they're the easiest way to get the material into the home. No warehouse, no postage, minimal staffing.........in other words CHEAPER.
That's very possible, but someone will need to figure out a way to squeeze all those GB's into a really tiny package for downloading.

SteveCallas 01-11-08 11:34 PM

Re: Toshiba Defiant After HD DVD Setback

I don't think download formats will ever take off. What percentage of America has high speed internet, maybe 40%? I have 6 meg cable, which is decent, and I shudder at the thought of how long it would take to download a ~50gig HD movie. And when I do download it, it disappers as soon as I'm done watching it, right? So then I'd have to download it all over again if I ever wanted to watch it again.

Nah, a physical piece of media with a movie on it is here to stay for a LONG time.

wbassett 01-12-08 12:48 AM

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 72851)
I don't think download formats will ever take off. What percentage of America has high speed internet, maybe 40%? I have 6 meg cable, which is decent, and I shudder at the thought of how long it would take to download a ~50gig HD movie. And when I do download it, it disappers as soon as I'm done watching it, right? So then I'd have to download it all over again if I ever wanted to watch it again.

Nah, a physical piece of media with a movie on it is here to stay for a LONG time.

Plus until everyone has FIOS (and even then if everyone has it, it will be traffice clogged) DL of HD is unrealistic. Add to that downloaded movies, even HD is inferior than disc based content this is something I personally am not looking for as the 'next best thing'.

MrPorterhouse 01-12-08 08:17 AM

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 72851)

I agree that physical media will be around, but did you listen to the Comcast Keynote at CES 2008? This was a highlight of the show in the what Comcast has planned to roll-out in 2008, and beyond. With they way they are going to "open the pipe" for high speed capacity, you'll be able to download a full High Rez movie in 3 min. 56 sec. That's pretty amazing, really. The future is changing faster than even us techies can imagine, let alone what your average mass consumer can understand.

majorloser 01-12-08 09:25 AM

How many DAYS do you wait for Blockbuster or Netflix to get you the movie you want? There are more ways than just wired internet connections to get media into your home. There's lots of unused cell phone bandwidth available at night. Pick you movie and it's available for you to watch the next day. Still faster than any Snail Mail service.

You guys really need to start thinking outside the box. Physical media will always become obsolete.

Sonnie 01-12-08 11:32 AM

Quote:

majorloser wrote: (Post 72908)
Physical media will always become obsolete.

I'm not sure that will become true in our lifetime or anytime in the foreseeable future. There are too many people in the world that don't have Internet access, much less a computer.

majorloser 01-12-08 12:03 PM

Re: It doesn't matter who wins the format war... HD media will eventually turn to downloads...

Every form of physical media becomes obsolete. With the rapid changes in technology the end comes soon after the introduction.

For all you guys that still spin albums........:thud:

There is so much available bandwidth out there that's not being used efficiently. Bandwidth distribution and sales will be the ultimate war.

muzz 01-12-08 12:05 PM

Re: It doesn't matter who wins the format war... HD media will eventually turn to downloads...

I don't DL coming anytime soon.

I have the same as steve, and although it's pretty quick, it still takes awhile to DL a PC Game demo, never mind a full blown 30 gigs or something like that.

Not only that, but it's been discussed that Comcast sees that kinda activity, and puts a clamp on it.. don't know if it's true, but it's been discussed like it is.

majorloser 01-12-08 12:09 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 72936)
I'm not sure that will become true in our lifetime or anytime in the foreseeable future. There are too many people in the world that don't have Internet access, much less a computer.

But are willing to buy a device that will play discs. The rent or buy these discs. Oh and let's not forget, they go "on-line" to rent discs.

What about a device that receives it's material from other sources? Radio? Satelite? Telephone?

You don't think the telephone companies are trying to reinvent themselves? The cable companies? How about the power companies? Every one of those utilities has a direct line into your life.