Iron Man - DVD Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Tony Stark vs Bruce Wayne

I think it is interesting how much in common these two have yet they are still totally different characters. It's undeniable that Stan Lee borrowed some of the traits and character profile from Batman, but he took it in a different direction. I thought it would be fun to do a comparison between these two power houses since right now they are unarguably the two top super heroes in Hollywood.

Bruce Wayne- Billionaire tycoon who inherited his company from his father.
Tony Stark- Billionaire tycoon who inherited his company from his father.

Both have company divisions that develop and sell military weapons.

Both have a playboy persona- Bruce's though is more of an act, mentally he is Batman and has to pretend he's Bruce Wayne in order to fit in. This is part of the brilliance of the character and finally the Christopher Nolan versions showed this conflict. Bruce for all practical intents is insane. Stark on the other hand really is a spoiled rich playboy that is itching for people to know he's Iron Man. Even after his epiphany he still craves attention whereas Bruce would rather be left alone.

Bruce Wayne has a multi-million dollar mansion with all the decor and trappings of 'old money'
Tony Stark has a multi-million dollar ultra modern house with all the latest tech and toys.

Bruce Wayne was trained in martial arts and studied law enforcement and detective work (DC Comics stands for Detective Comics)
Tony Stark has his own gym and personal trainer and if he has a black belt in any of the arts he most likely 'bought' it.

Bruce Wayne is motivated and driven by the death of his parents.
Tony Stark is motivated by the realization of all the death and destruction he has caused.

Bruce Wayne isn't totally tech savvy and has to outsource his gear or get unused military surplus his company developed.
Tony Stark keeps everything in house and is a technical genius who builds all his own gear.

Bruce Wayne has a wicked cool car, the Batmobile converted Tumbler.
Tony Stark- Who needs a car when you can fly Mach 2?

Both have a private collection of ultra cool sports cars though.

Batman is bullet resistant to anything but a dead on straight shot.
Iron Man is bullet proof.

Batman can get around like Spidey with his grappling hook gear.
Iron Man can fly like Superman!

Stan Lee also infuses his characters with more wit and sarcasm, which is why I always loved Spidey, but Iron Man and Stark are pretty sarcastic too. Batman is pretty much just intense and dark.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new Batman movies and how Nolan breathed new life into a dead franchise. There was a question about whether Iron Man is suitable for a younger child, and I would say it's no worse than what they already see on network TV, but still there are some suggestive scenes, the issue of alcohol, and yes violence. As I mentioned though this could be an excellent reason to discuss those issues. I probably would watch the movie first though just to make sure it is okay for your child to see.

Batman Begins and Batman Dark Knight however are not movies I would allow my kids to see if they were still young. These movies are not only dark and violent, but scary too. Even though the new Batman movies are also rated PG13, in my opinion they are border line and much more violent and dark.

So who wins in this shoot out versus comparison? The box office clearly shows that the Bat is worth Billions, but bad guys wouldn't want to be facing either of them in person I'm sure!

Keep in mind, this was all in fun and good spirits and like I said, I am also a huge Batman fan so I certainly was not picking one over the other... but you have to admit they do have a lot more in common than probably any other two super heroes.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 10-07-08, 08:35 AM
Senior Shackster

Wayde

Re: Tony Stark vs Bruce Wayne

There are significant differences between the characters.

Lee created Stark specifically to be unlikable in the early 1960s when it probably wasn’t so fashionable to be a wealthy, cocktail swigging industrialist with an arrogant swagger. But that’s what lee was going for.

At the time I’m sure Batman had evolved quite a bit but he was originally an FBI agent.

Stark, like Wayne is a troubled individual but modern day portrayals of Batman have Wayne escaping through his own neurotic behavior, this probably started with Frank Miller’s Legends of the Dark Knight in the 80s that took Batman away from the campiness of the TV series and made him darker. Tim Burton would lightly explore the darker side of a Batman but his 89 Batman would only be superficially dark. Burton explored the dark knight through gloomy city scapes and a timeless epoch that seems to be a mish-mash of every decade of Batman comics.

Stark on the other hand is a weak human being with neurotic behavior of his own. Tony Stark is an alcoholic and as a member of the Avengers super hero group, which Iron Man was best known for, he’s proven a bit of a dark horse.

Both Iron Man and Batman had secret identities. The movie version blows Stark’s secret identity away. In fact, the queue cards Stark was handed that instructed him to say Iron man was a sort of Body-guard to Stark was the long-standing story for years through the comics.

A storyline that started around 1979 and went through the 80s had Stark actually went to rehab for his alcoholism. During that time his partner, portrayed by Terrance Howard as Col. Rhodes, actually donned Iron Man armor. For a long time in the comics Iron Man was black, there was even a comic where part of Rhodes body had been exposed, I believe after a battle that destroyed some of his armor. It quelled suspicions that Stark was really Iron Man because it was showed Iron Man was really a black man.

What ended up happening in later years when Stark returned Rhodes had his own custom armor created that was designed more for pure combat than Iron Man. This super-hero became known as War Machine and the armor was pure black. In an interesting scene, Howard’s Rhodes looks at a suit of unpainted armor in Stark’s lab and says something like… not yet… or … someday…Perhaps it foreshadows something to come.

Certainly a movie franchise consisting of the original Avengers IS being foreshadowed in Iron Man.

Don’t touch that remote

Be sure to keep watching after the credits roll in the Iron Man film to see a character called Nick Fury.

Interesting thing about Fury. Marvel comics has lately been steeped in this re-inventing of many of its popular titles in this thing called the Ultimate Universe. The super-group simply called Ultimates (a lame name IMHO) is modern interpretation of the Avengers. It’s darker and more adult than the old Avengers and quite interesting.

Legend has it that the artist for the original Ultimates series actually sought out the permission of Samuel L. Jackson to use his likeness to be Nick Fury. Fury in the original Marvel comics was white but new interpretations wanted a Jackson-looking figure with Fury’s trademark eye-patch. Permission was granted and the new Nick Fury is one of the coolest comic characters in a long time.

Not to spoil anything but I’ll give you a hint – there’s a cameo by Samuel L. Jackson about an Avengers initiative.

The original Avengers consisted of:

Hulk
Iron Man
Capt. America
Thor

We already have a Hulk movie with a similar Jackson interlude about an Avengers initiative started by the secret org called SHEILD, also represented in the Iron Man movie.

btw keep an eye out in Stark's workshop, apparently Captain America's shield can be seen somewhere, although I haven't seen this myself, yet.

The Hulk movie actually alluded to plot devices that are likely to appear in Capt. America. I have no inside information nor do I go out and research this stuff. But, the Hulk movie (due out on BD soon) involved a super-serum. The character (Blonsky) played by Tim Roth took the serum and for the first part of the movie became … effectively… a rendition of Captain America. Later it became apparent that he wouldn’t really become Cap himself but I’m sure the same serum will be employed in an upcoming Cap movie that will be interconnected with the Hulk and Iron Man films.

The one thing I did hear on the Internet is that a Thor movie is coming. I am almost certain that it too will have that Samuel L. Jackson part referencing the Avengers initiative.

Boy – that’s a huge and long build-up for a film franchise in the future isn’t it? If they start making Avengers movies with all the characters and actors intact I may just poop myself.

Wayde
post #13 of 24 Old 10-07-08, 11:20 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
Re: Iron Man

Not to pick nits, but I do not believe Bob Kane and Bill Finger's Batman was ever an FBI agent. He has always been a vigilante. The FBI stuff came about in the 40's and were due to serial regulations of the time. Not sure exactly what they were, maybe Richard H. knows and will chime in.

Could be due to the original Batman's violence.... originally he carried a holstered gun, and had used guns to kill criminals with no remorse, even the Batplane had machine guns. This may have been a bit much for the serials of the day

Mark
post #14 of 24 Old 10-07-08, 12:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Wayde

You could be right, I haven't followed the B-man nearly as much as the Avengers during the course my misspent youth.

Wayde
post #15 of 24 Old 10-07-08, 01:54 PM
Shackster
TLC

I saw this in the theatre and concur with most thoughts about the movie above. I really enjoyed it. Probably even more than Batman which I loved. Batman is so dark and tormented the villans so derranged that sometimes it becomes slightly depressing. Batman's big hook is that heis a crature of darkness. You aren't supposed to SEE what he's doing..he's a nija!

Everything Iron Man does is very visible. I mean he's a frakn 7 foot flying Arour suit that blows up stuff. Its much more uplifting when you see him lift off than Batman jumping out from a shadow. In a way Iron Man actually stikes me as more realistic. Yes Bruce Wayne has bruises etc from the fights. But then the next scene he's jumping around like he's fine. Batman is constantly involved with battles with automatic toting thugs but rearley gets shot.

Iron Man is able to do what he does because he's in the suit. The power source may be far feteched but if you could design a suit like that the guy inside it would be invunreable, able to fly etc. More than I can say for Batman's constant good luck so to speak.

Iron Man wants me want to cheer. He wants you to say now that was cool. Batman (and in particuklar the Joker) wants you do say man that's messed up. I like both but Batman is more of a thinker's movie with action thrown in. Iron Man is an action movie with thinking thrown in.

I would love to own this and watch it on BR on my 92 inch screen when my new Sub arrives. But until they stop sticking it to us with 30$ plus prices I'll have to wait.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-08-08, 08:54 AM
Senior Shackster

dradius

Good reviews everyone. I just watched Iron Man the other day and it is interesting to see everyone else's takes on it.

I never got too serious about comic books, and watched this just to see a good action movie and shake my house, not because I like Iron Man in particular. With that said, I think it is a decent movie and give it a B+. Special effects and LFE were great. It was the first movie I watched with my new video card and HDMI going to my receiver, and it didn't disappoint. There was that short scene of him flying over to the desert and saving the guys about to be executed. But I kept thinking he was going to go back to the Middle East and really raise some racket. Instead, he just fought his old friend who was in a suit like his, just bigger. It was a good fight, but not what I was expecting for the big finale. Combine that with what he says at the press conference at the very end, and it just seemed to me like they are going to crank out another couple Iron Man movies, and just wanted to get the first one knocked out.

I also agree about the $30 prices for Blu-Rays. That is totally ridiculous. I thought $20 for DVDs was crazy, but they've outdone themselves with the HD stuff. And they wonder why so many people pirate stuff.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-08-08, 10:35 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Quote:
dradius wrote: View Post
I also agree about the $30 prices for Blu-Rays. That is totally ridiculous. I thought $20 for DVDs was crazy, but they've outdone themselves with the HD stuff. And they wonder why so many people pirate stuff.
I dunno,... I think we all just got spoiled. I remember when $89 was a pretty good price for a movie on VHS

Mark
post #18 of 24 Old 10-08-08, 04:26 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Also, maybe we could have spoiler tags or something in these posts? I haven't seen the film yet, and don't want to have any twists spoiled before the event.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-09-08, 07:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Wayde

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
I dunno,... I think we all just got spoiled. I remember when $89 was a pretty good price for a movie on VHS
I remember those days in the early 80s when you rented a movie on VHS the thing was worth like $75 bucks. I remember being told not to leave your VHS rentals visible in your car because they're an easy target for theft.

Nowadays you may have trouble giving away VHS tapes.

Wayde
post #20 of 24 Old 10-09-08, 09:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Wayde wrote: View Post
I remember those days in the early 80s when you rented a movie on VHS the thing was worth like $75 bucks. I remember being told not to leave your VHS rentals visible in your car because they're an easy target for theft.

Nowadays you may have trouble giving away VHS tapes.
When CDs first came out in the mid 80s they were anywhere between $30 and $40 now you can find them for a little as $5
I was just thinking about VHS and noticed that you cant even buy movies on them in most stores any more.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900