Iron Man - DVD Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 10-01-08, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Iron Man - DVD Review

Tony Stark
Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?

Actors: Jeff Bridges, Jr. Robert Downey, Clark Gregg, Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow
Directors: Jon Favreau
Format: AC-3, Closed-captioned, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
Language: English
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Number of discs: 2
Rating:
Studio: Paramount
DVD Release Date: September 30, 2008
Run Time: 125 minutes

Christine Everheart
You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?

Tony Stark
Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint.

Christine Everheart
And what do you say to your other nickname, the Merchant of Death?

Tony Stark
That's not bad.

Look out Bruce Wayne, there's another billionare playboy super hero in the game.

I missed this one at the theater. In fact my work schedule has been so hectic I missed everything at the theater for the past ten months.

Where to start? Robert Downey Jr. seems like the right place.

When it was first announced that Robert Downey Jr. would play Iron Man many people were up in arms and said it was a monumental mistake. Let's ponder that for a moment though. Stark is a very flawed human being... he's the rich son of a weapons tycoon, a playboy and womanizer with a problem with alcohol abuse. Downey is a an enormously talented acter, but he is also a spoiled rich kid and a womanizer with a history of substance abuse. This is a role Downey seems to have inadvertently been improvising for his entire life. Downey didn't have to act... rather just recall his own experiences and play himself but at an even higher level.

The other difference between Wayne and Stark is Wayne was born into money and pays people to create his alter ego whereas Stark actually develops the tech himself. Wayne outsources while Stark keeps it close to home.

Also there is a big difference in physiques. Downey's Stark is definitely fit and actually looks like a rich playboy with a private gym and personal trainer... someone we all can relate too as a real person, not too ripped and muscle bound, but just a guy in good shape with a cynical sharp tongue sense of humor.

Virginia 'Pepper' Potts [walking in on Stark's robots trying to get him out of the Iron Man suit]
What is going on here?

Tony Stark
Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing.

The movie that really started the super hero craze was the original Superman the Movie. Then came Batman with Michael Keaton... but since then DC has been eclipsed by Marvel. Batman Begins was fantastic, and I am waiting for Batman Dark Knight to come out on DVD, but the fact is the genre was dying until Spiderman came out. Iron Man trumps Spidey and with Spades.

The acting is top notch and the story is beyond quality. Iron Man is everything that they forgot about in the Spiderman sequels. It out does The Fantastic Four movies, and the dreadful Hulks. This is top notch acting, non-stop action, and just plain fun. It's everything a super hero movie should be.

The other thing that sets this apart from other super hero movies, aside from the late Heath Ledger's spectacular performance as the Joker is this had a real bad guy- someone that we see in everyday corporate America... a greedy letch that will stop at nothing to ensure he stays on top. Whereas the Joker was just a psychotic, Jeff Bridges Obidiah Stane was the calculating greedy CEO we all know and have come to hate... the guy that doesn't care about the people rather just his own bank account.

Iron Man bested the Spiderman sequels on many levels, and even topped the first one, which is too often heralded as the ultimate super hero movie. It was very good, but this was better.

Now for the movie transfer.
I opted not to buy the Bluray version. Mainly because I watch movies upstairs on my 27" LCD HDTV just as much if not more than I do down stairs on my main system. Mainly because I work from home and often when I am working evenings or weekends, I am waiting for others to finish thier work so I can do mine. I don't just sit here waiting, I usually watch a movie. Since I don't have a Blue Ray player upstairs (but do have a second HD DVD player in my office) I tend to get the SDVD version so I can watch it anywhere in my house.

The transfer and upconversion is very good. Anyone would be pleased with the quality.

5.1 surround is also exceptional. My wife was out for the night which allowed me to crank the system up some. The surround channels are very active and the bass gets a good workout. During the desert scenes the bullets are flying from everywhere!

The Special Features are also fun to watch.
Overall I give this for a super hero flick

I couldn't find many stock pictures other than what everyone has already seen so I'll do some screen shots from my 106" screen and post them soon... which this movie definitely deserves the big screen treatment, and for me that's saying a lot. I only fire up the projector and big screen for big epic movies and don't use it for regular TV or run of the mill movies... and this was definitely a big screen movie! If you have a great sound system but only a 55" to 60" HDTV you're definitely missing out on the 'big picture'!

Jim Rhodes [whispering]
Just stick to the cards, sir.

Tony Stark [holds up his notes and pauses, then puts them down]
The truth is... I am Iron Man.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

Last edited by wbassett; 03-27-09 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-01-08, 11:10 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Iron Man

Excellent review!

This movie has really done well and I have it lying on my table to watch this weekend. I was not looking forward to it when it first came out, but am getting more excited about it now that it's here.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #3 of 24 Old 10-01-08, 11:14 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Great review! I would also give this movie 5 stars for acting and plot. I'd also add the exceptional use of special effects. As with the latest Batman movies the effects served the plot, not the other way around, and were fantastic.

I would give the sound 5+ stars and put it up with the last Die Hard for constant surround action, and LFE that never stopped! A great movie for monster subs, monster screens and tons of fun.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-02-08, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I totally agree that the FX supported the movie and didn't over power it. Lucas used to say that FX should only suppliment the story... somewhere along the way he totally forgot about that, same as Cameron did in T2. Before anyone goes nuts on me about T2, honestly evaluate that flick. When you take out all the special effects you have 30 minutes of movie and plot. That's not what FX should be used for.

Iron Man had the right mix of special effects, action, drama, and humor. Add in top notch actors and that is a recipie that Hollywood really needs to follow more often.

I haven't seen the new Batman flick yet, but I fully expect it to be a winner in it's own regards, but also I feel it is a totally different style than Iron Man. This was a fun romp without the angst and heavieness that the orginal Batman had. As good as it was, what made it great was more the fact it was back on track and not the cartoonish versions that the franchise had digressed into.

As far as the last Die Hard flick, I'd say a work out of the surround channels can be a lot like doing FX just for the sake of having FX. If it supports the story and action then sure, go with it, but if it's just there to try and wow people then they missed the boat. The last Die Hard had a good surround but bad story. Iron Man was solid and fun all the way around.

I'll have some big screen images up by this weekend. This is definitely one to grab a bag of popcorn... get some ju ju bees and sit back and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by wbassett; 03-27-09 at 06:28 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 09:26 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I watched this last night and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nothing like what I thought it was going to be. It did seem to have a few plot holes... I suppose they had to keep it within the proper time frame for it to be marketable.

I am not a big Robert Downey Jr fan, but he did a good job in this movie, although I was not crazy about his business character being such a renowned idol and somewhat of a god.

I will give it

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #6 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

My wife and I watched it as well (on Blu) and it played fine by the way with no issues at all.
I never like the fact that it seems more and more movies that come out always seem to have way to much sexual undertones and its totally unnecessary. Other than that the special effects and audio was fantastic.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 03:25 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post

... seem to have way to much sexual undertones and its totally unnecessary...
Can you tell me a little more about it??? ... I have a 12yr old boy (daughter is 15), and I always try to go with the rating on the movies (this is PG13 I think) ... Do you think it will be okay or is there to much sex content??? ...I'm planning on buying this weekend
post #8 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 03:29 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

I think it would be fine for them. There is some making out but that's it for graphic sexuality.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 03:37 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
thxgoon wrote: View Post
I think it would be fine for them. There is some making out but that's it for graphic sexuality.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-04-08, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

It is PG13 rated but there are some suggestive scenes but no nudity, mainly heavy making out for a few seconds and then Tony and Christine Everheart fall off the bed on the far side and you can no longer see them. Then it cuts to the next day.

It is more suggestive than the comic book and cartoon, but is how Stan Lee defined this character... he's a rich egomaniac womanizer that is also prone to substance abuse. Probably what could be worse than some of the suggestive scenes and dialog is that Stark has a drink in his hand almost every other scene the first half of the movie. I can see where to some impressionable kid they can equate that with 'being cool', so I would use that as a good time to discuss the topic and how it is the total opposite of cool. I've heard in future movies they may delve more into this aspect of Stark's character, and no, they do not plan on making it 'cool' but rather from what I read they intend to show it as a major flaw of his and a demon he has to overcome.

Sonnie mentioned:
Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
I am not a big Robert Downey Jr fan, but he did a good job in this movie, although I was not crazy about his business character being such a renowned idol and somewhat of a god.
I guess the Jerico demonstration scene could come across that way but I took him as more of a techno-geek rock star persona. (Think Bill Gates with a Mick Jagger personality) He has billions of dollars and all his life has gotten his own way and frankly did anything he wanted any time he wanted to. In that respect I think he was definitely arrogant and extremely cocky and full of himself, but he also had an epiphany and as he said it "Opened his eyes".

Once Stark saw how his weapons were actually being used and more importantly misused by the very people he 'thought' they were being used against, he realized what he had done. That was the defining moment of when he became a super hero, the suit was just how he carried out his new found mission in life.

I actually saw him as a very flawed person. Everyone around him saw it too but with Tony's wealth and power nobody dared to speak up.

As far as plot holes, I feel it had fewer than other movies of this genre. It was so fast paced that like a Bond movie, we are swept along so quickly that they are easy to overlook.

We definitely will see at least one more Iron Man movie, but I don't know if they plan on continuing the individual stories or if they will just spin things off into the Avenger movies which are also planned. Those in my opinion are tricky ground and they have to be very careful. Anytime they start adding multiple villians or several super heros the plot always takes a back seat to the FX and glam of all the 'heros'. It will be interesting to see how they pull it off.