Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - Blu-ray Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 12-09-15, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
My System
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - Blu-ray Review

Title: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

HTS Overall Score:90

The “Mission Impossible” theme song brings instant excitement as the energetic tempo prepares you for just that…the impossible. Tom Cruise may not have been the original face of “Mission Impossible”, but with his help Paramount revitalized a franchise that had lain dormant for decades. Now after almost 20 years, Tom Cruise is still in the saddle and amping up the excitement with each film he does. In fact, if it wasn’t for Cruise pushing the studio hard, the last two films would never have been made (the movies make a profit, but not the gigantic profit that Comic Book movies make, or other giant blockbusters). His passion for the role and his insistence on doing all of his own stunts have given fans everywhere more films than we ever could have hoped for after the crash and burn of “Mission Impossible II”.

“Rogue Nation” takes place shortly after “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol”, sending Ethan Hunt after another impossible mission. This time he may have met his match. After completing a routine assignment, Hunt (Tom Cruise) comes face to face with his most deadly foe yet. He’s been tracking the existence of a shadow organization known as The Syndicate for months, only to run into dead ends at every turn. However, the mysterious leader of this Syndicate shows his face, only to taunt Ethan with his failure and vanish into the night. To make matters worse, the IMF has been completely disbanded by CIA Director Alan Hunley (Alec Baldwin) due to the IMF’s unorthodox methods, and has completely absorbed their resources in the CIA’s repertoire of tricks. This leaves Hunt with the option to either come in and face the music, or strike out on his own and take down the Syndicate without support.

Well, we know for a fact that the IMF never lets their friends down, and that means that Benjie (Simon Pegg), Luther (Ving Rhames) and William Brandt (Jeremy Renner) use their own unique skills to give a little behind the scenes help when they can. Hunt’s mission is made a lot easier when he recognizes that the Syndicate has a weak spot in the form of Isla Faust (Rebecca Ferguson), a double agent for MI6 intelligence. Working for the Syndicate has given her a cover that’s nearly impenetrable, but after helping Ethan escape from their clutches, Hunt knows that he can use her to get to the top. However, things aren’t always as they seem, and Ethan finds out that those dead ends that he kept running into were not an accident. The mysterious mastermind behind this all really IS all that and a box of chocolates too. Every plan is already anticipated. Every movement and betrayal was created on purpose and every avenue of escape is blocked off before Hunt can even think it up. Now he has to come up with a way to get out of a truly impossible situation and hopefully still take down the Syndicate…even if it kills him.

As I mentioned earlier, “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation” was almost never made. “Ghost Protocol” was a decent hit (and one of the best of the series), but Tom Cruise just isn’t the financial draw that he once was. Sure they made a profit, but it was a meager one and the series was to be shelved. However, Cruise has a love affair with the franchise and pushed HARD for the series to continue. So hard in fact that Paramount caved and finally went along with the idea, and thankfully for us, it payed off well. Amping up the action to new heights, “Rogue Nation” is only a hair breadth of a lesser film than the excellent “Ghost Protocol”. That alone is a feat as most franchises usually stumble after a while. However, the stumbling really came early on when John Woo did his thing with “Mission Impossible II” (which actually wasn’t a bad MOVIE, it was just a bad “Mission Impossible” movie). However Brad Bird saved the series with the 3rd outing and the movies have just gone up in production value and entertainment as they progress.

“Rogue Nation” is good, but not perfect. The fun is there, the action is there, but sometimes the movie mistakes action for plot and we have a times where I feel the action overshadows actual story. With that being said, I have to really give props to the movie as it was everything you could have wanted in a summer blockbuster. Guns, knives, explosions, good one liners, and Tom Cruise having a complete blast as a superhero spy. I may not enjoy EVERY movie he’s ever been in, and he’s not the greatest actor to grace the silver screen, but I will fully admit that he gives it his all in every movie he’s ever in, and being in his early 50s the man shows some dedication to the role as he jumps onto moving planes and dives through windows without the aid of a stunt double. While Cruise is the main star as Ethan Hunt I was really excited with what they did with Rebecca Ferguson. Here role as Ilsa was the perfect foil for Hunt. She’s a spy, a gorgeous woman and just as intelligent as our hero, giving him a partner who is truly his equal. The sizzling chemistry between the two is felt in the very air and their growing attraction is never overstated to force a romantic subplot. It’s there, just under the surface, but you could almost miss it if you aren’t paying attention. Hunt has fallen in love with thieves, a simple nurse, and lost them all as a result of his job, but now, he has the opportunity to pair up with someone who can actually hang with him. Thanks to the success of “Rouge Nation” we may actually see this pairing come to fruition as “Mission Impossible VI” has been greenlit and already in the planning stages.

Rated PG-13 for sequences of action and violence, and brief partial nudity

Yummy yummy yumny. “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation” leaps onto Blu-ray with a simply gorgeous looking scope transfer. Filmed on actual FILM, “Rogue Nation” shows a nice layer of grain and looks very organic in texture. Colors are warm and fantastically saturated. Reds, blues and yellows shine through with incredible brightness, while the film is softened with a touch of gold (especially during the Middle East robbery sequence). Every detail is captured with a single problem, every bit of stubble on Cruise’s face, every line and wrinkle on Rebecca’s yellow dress, every piece of dirty or dust on clothing. Long shoots look equally amazing, with strong focus and great detail, even in the most sweeping of shot. Black levels look good (although noticed a teensy tiny bit of crush in a few scenes) and shadow detail is superb. Digital artifacting is nonexistent to my eye besides the above mentioned few seconds of crush, leaving us with a wonderfully rich and textured image to enjoy in our home theaters.

While the video is amazing, the Dolby Atmos track that “Rogue Nation” is privy to just simply ROCKS in all ways. Atmos has been picking up steam to the point where I’m doing at least on a week almost anymore and they have been a treat to listen to. This little jewel is an action track to the core and just revels in all of the fun little eccentricities and over the top robustness that they tend to give for summer blockbusters. Dialog is never a problem, and I was well balanced with the rest of the track, but I get giddy at the sheer ferocity of the surrounds and LFE system. There is great panning effects up front and to the rear, but the surrounds are pinpoint accurate with the constantly shifting sound scape. Especially when the action kicks into high gear and the roar of a plane is thundering throughout your house as Ethan Hunt attempts to hijack it. The LFE is just crushing and powerful, but also wonderfully restrained when necessary. Instead of being a nonstop assault on the sense the bass can be very reserved when needed, but then just rock your socks off when the guns and action blast off. HOWEVER, I noticed that the LFE can run the whole gambit. Sometimes it’s soft, sometimes it’s ripping the doors off, but sometimes it can travel in that in-between stage, adding a soft and dull hum of a rotor that doesn’t really stand out, but isn’t so soft that you have to TRY and detect. It’s those little nuances and changes in pitch and loudness that really make “Rogue Nation’s” Atmos experience a truly stellar one.

• Audio Commentary by
• Lighting the Fuse
• Cruise Control
• Heroes
• Cruising Altitude
• Mission Immersible
• Sand Theft Auto
• The Missions Continue

“Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation” manages to be my third favorite “Mission Impossible” film, ranking JUUUUUUUUUUUUST barely under “MI:4” (yes I still rank the first as my favorite). The action is bigger, the guns louder, and it was really nice to see a female agent who was able to be Hunt’s match, both physically and intellectually. Sometimes I felt as if the action got in the way of some of the character development with Rebecca Ferguson’s character, but the sheer goofy fun of the movie more than made up for that little flaw. Audio and video are off the charts and paramount certainly did not disappoint with the extras. I tend to be a bit critical of summer blockbusters due to becoming so generic, but Tom Cruise never fails to entertain and the production values leave nothing to be desired. Highly recommended.

Additional Information:

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Ving Rhames, Rebecca Ferguson
Directed by: Christopher McQuarrie
Written by: Christopher McQuarrie
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 AVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), Spanish, French, Portuguese DD 5.1
Studio: Paramount
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 132 minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: December 15th 2015

Buy Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation On Blu-ray at Amazon

Recommendation: Highly Recommended

More about Mike
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 21 Old 12-09-15, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
My System
Re: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - Blu-ray Review

a few glitches in the scoring stars sorted out... no it wasn't actually that bad
post #3 of 21 Old 12-09-15, 08:45 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Todd Anderson
My System

Patiently awaiting this one in the mail... ;-)
post #4 of 21 Old 12-09-15, 11:08 AM
Elite Shackster
My System
Thanks for the review Mike. Can't wait to get my hands on this one!
post #5 of 21 Old 12-10-15, 03:12 PM
My System
Unhappy Re: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - Blu-ray Review

I'm in the (likely) minority that enjoyed 'Ghost Protocol' (substantially) more ...
post #6 of 21 Old 12-10-15, 11:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Patiently awaiting this one in the mail... ;-)
After Mike's review, ditto for me

post #7 of 21 Old 12-11-15, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
My System
post #8 of 21 Old 12-15-15, 06:46 AM
My System

Didn't watch it in cinema but watched Blu-Ray version last night in 5.1 settings and it was good. Found myself reaching for AVR remote to tame audio volume too often. On average audio volume between -30dB to - 35dB is suitable for comfortable listening of BD content (depends on BD manufacturer) but this one was blasting at -35dB. On audio side I will play it again on my own (and try to hide remote) to enjoy what is on offer for hearing senses. Agreed about "Ghost Protocol" and this one is not far behind.

Thank you for your review.
Cheers from Australia
post #9 of 21 Old 12-16-15, 11:30 AM
Senior Shackster

I will be watching this on Friday evening, and have been looking forward to it. I of course saw Ghost Protocol when it hit blu ray, but don't remember the details as it was a few years ago. Would it be important to review Ghost Protocol before watching this one, or are the events of Ghost Protocol not important to understanding the plot in Rogue Nation?
post #10 of 21 Old 12-16-15, 01:25 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

I watched part of it last night... I wish it didn't have as much grain as it did (I think I am spoiled by movies that are crystal clear, and grain free).

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread

bluray , impossible , mission , nation , review , rogue

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page