The Dark Knight - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 33 Old 12-13-08, 12:42 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Dark Knight Blu-ray Review

Yep... that's why I am getting on with building my sub... I am tired of waiting to see movies. There are several I want to see right now and this one is on the very top of the list.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 12-13-08, 08:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Derek

My System

Wayde,

Great review! I loved this film, and had my pre-order up at Amazon within an hour of it being available for order on their site. The variable aspect ratio was also a complete non-issue (I rarely noticed I was so in to the film), and my wife did not notice at all. The only thing I thought Ledger's Joker lacked was the sense that he would stab you and turn the knife because he genuinely thought it was funny (My wife went in expecting Nicholson's Joker... boy, was SHE surprised...). Still, an awesome performance, and a talent that will be missed (God rest his soul).

And, for the record, I loved Batman Returns... Basically, I really like all of the Burton/Nolan takes (don't get me started on the Schumacher disasters....), and coming from me that is saying a lot; I really don't care all that much for the rest of Burton's stuff...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

The Overlook Theater - Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.

Last edited by Vader; 12-13-08 at 11:26 PM.
post #13 of 33 Old 12-14-08, 10:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Great review Wayde.

The first time I saw Batman Begins I was in awe over the movie. The Dark Knight commanded that same sense of awe from me. I think it must be that touch of realism they add to the Batman character. Sure he does do some stunts that are technically impossible or improbable but it's a touch less comic bookish. I say comic bookish to mean the Comic Book Authority censored style book.
post #14 of 33 Old 12-17-08, 10:06 AM
Banned!
andy summers

I rather enjoyed Heath Ledger performance the character was well prepared and its sad that he passed away so young in his acting carrier. Defiantly an Oscar nod for supporting role in my books that’s daring and eerie the Joker was one and all fruity and loony in creepy way, bumping off his own men in the first act, now that is low.

The films image looks splendid for region 2 DVD crisp transfer nothing to distract me from the viewing. Sound plays an important element in the action and softer dialogue moments (I’m going to make this pencil disrepair) grabbing a hood and slamming his face down onto an upright pencil ouch! (ta da, now its gone). LOL

I like those specifications Wayde on the sound in different languages as well as English this is a better overview than I’ve seen over on the AVS site, I guess you go the distance?

One thing that I think is minis is no audio commentary with cast and crew. I thought that was what laserdisc was all about and then DVD only few now then have audio commentary and now bluray but that’s not the point, lack of audio commentary, hmm, I like to settle down afterwards and listen to their views on the films success how this and that was achieved in the technical making of the film which was astonishing and the building that was demolished in that explosion etc.

Last edited by Andysu; 12-17-08 at 10:18 AM.
post #15 of 33 Old 12-17-08, 11:58 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I loved it and boy it gave my new sub a workout not to mention the buttkickers......
post #16 of 33 Old 12-19-08, 09:12 AM
Shackster

weeZ

Thoroughly enjoyed this viewing!!

Watched Batman begins prior to refresh my memory, it's rare that a sequel holds up compared to the 1st outing.

Keith

Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK, calibrated using Milori Colorfacts
Pioneer Elite sc-05
Oppo BDP-83
Toshiba HD-A1
Sony PS3
Artison Portrait LCR
Artison Portrait LRS surrounds
SV Sound Dual PB13 Ultras
post #17 of 33 Old 12-25-08, 03:21 AM
Chris

I agree it was a pretty good movie. I stayed awake for the whole thing(please understand, most movies can't even keep me awake the entire time, literally). I did like the 1st movie a bit better. In this movie, Bale was definitely playing 2nd fiddle. Ledger owned this movie, IMO. His acting was incredible. 1st rate. I think it even upstaged the Joker as played by Jack Nichalson by a substantial margin. As for the replacement actress for Bale's love interest: I'm not going to discuss acting of the two different actresses. I will just say that I could not in any way accept the replacement as 'the' character they were supposed to be. They should have simply left that character out of the movie if unable to secure the original actress to play the part again. It was like, to me, when they used another actress for the Silence of the Lambs sequel. I can't accept even for the purposes of a movie, that it's the same character. The specific actor/actress when used in a particular universe of a story(and I see Batman Return/Dark Knight movies as a universe, seperate from say the prior Batman Movie universes) brings too much of their own personality/specific mannerism(s) to be simply 'replaced' by another actor/actress. My memory of the prior person in the role won't let me accept the replacement in the particular universe and I can't stop thinking about it. But maybe this is just a problem for me. It may not bother many people?

-Chris
post #18 of 33 Old 12-25-08, 06:09 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

The ridiculous edge enhancement and noise reduction ruined the image for me. The movie was all right, I guess. Typical superhero movie, really. The audio was very nice. All in all I was more impressed with 'Begins' than 'Knight'.
post #19 of 33 Old 12-25-08, 10:05 AM
Senior Shackster

Derek

My System

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
The ridiculous edge enhancement and noise reduction ruined the image for me.
The EE is a side effect of using the IMAX print for the BD master (meaning it was not done for the BD... it was already there). From the IMAX site:

Quote:
HOW DO YOU MAKE 35MM MEET THE IMAX STANDARD?
The image on a 35MM film frame is comprised of a fine grain structure like that of all photographic images. This grain when projected on to the IMAX screen looks like a TV channel with bad reception. IMAX DMR removes this grain while preserving the quality of the underlying image making what you see on the screen crystal clear.

DIGITALLY RE-MASTERED, REFINED, AND RESIZED!
To create the brightness and clarity that audiences have come to expect from The IMAX Experience®, IMAX uses a proprietary computer program to make the images sharper than they were originally...
Sadly, this means that the chances of a re-issue using the 35mm print for the mastering, is basically nil (because there is nothing wrong with the mastering, just the source). While I definitely prefer the look of "Batman Begins" or "The Prestige" as opposed to the overly "harsh" look of TDK, I still find the film to be one of the finest crime dramas I have ever seen; I would even put it into the ranks of "The Godfather" or "The Departed" (minus all of the pointless profanity). That Batman and The Joker are in it is almost inconsequential.

http://www.theasc.com/magazine_dynam...ight/page1.php

Oh, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

The Overlook Theater - Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.

Last edited by Vader; 12-25-08 at 05:00 PM.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-25-08, 12:11 PM
Chris

Even though they don't straight up to say it in regards to that IMAX excerpt, I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's fair to compare motion picture 35mm with photographic 35mm directly in terms of resolution and grain. From the control tests I have seen, the specific film and transfers required for motion picture 35mm film have a difficult time resolving even 720P. Where as photographic film process, using low ISO still capture film, can easily resolve in excess of 2x what 1080P can display, based on controlled image analysis of 35mm print film scanned with the appropriate drum or equivalent quality scanner(which, there are non drum scanners that can match drum scans today, even if they are not common).

I am not sure what primary difference separates motion picture 35mm from still photography type. Does the motion picture type have a high ISO compared to still picture ISO 50 or 100 type, to allow for sufficient exposures that obviously have to be created sufficiently fast to be captured in the 24 fps rate and have a wide flexibility so far as lighting and have an wide range of stops available for changing the field of view's relative focus of items in the plane? Of course, high ISO has larger grain structure proportionately to the ISO, and can have a far less effective resolution as a result.

Does anyone know what equivalent ISO to still film you would compare typical motion picture 35mm?

-Chris

Last edited by WmAx; 12-25-08 at 12:20 PM.