Bad Moms - Blu-ray Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Edwards

post #1 of 1 Old 10-31-16, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System
Bad Moms - Blu-ray Review

Title: Bad Moms

Movie:
Video:
Audio:
Extras:

HTS Overall Score:69

Summary
I’ve noticed that there is a cycle that happens in a person’s life. First we love our mom’s to death as young children, but once we get to our teenage year’s mommy doesn’t seem to know much anymore. It’s not until we’re in our 20s that we learn to respect them once more, and it’s not till we become parents ourselves that we almost worship them. Being a parent is a tough job, but being a mother has to be one of the hardest jobs of all. In many cases it seems almost thankless as our moms feed, clean, clothe and pretty much raise us from the ground up only to feel left out, unappreciated and just downright TIRED at the end of the day. “Bad Moms” was the summer hit that made over $180 million dollars on a $20 budget that had a little fun for all those exhausted moms out there. However, it also seems to mirror the guys night out type of movie where mature language and dirty jokes makes up for lack of wit and real humor.

Amy Mitchell (Mila Kunis) is a mother of two who is just about at the end of her rope. Sure, she loves being a mom, but she drives herself crazy trying to get everything done for her two kids, Dylan (Emjay Anthony) and Jane (Oona Laurence). There’s soccer practice, homework, overdoing the whole helicopter parent thing, working a part time job where she’s undervalued, and then of course there’s the PTA conferences. Things go from bad to worse when she finds out her husband is having a cyber affair and has to boot his tail to the curb. Then to top it all off, Gwendolyn, the evil head of the PTA (her and her cronies, played by Jada Pinkett Smith and Annie Mumolo, remind me of the evil trio from “Mean Girls”) tries to humiliate her in front of the latest PTA meeting. Enough is ENOUGH! Going to a bar for an end of the day night cap turns into a wild girl’s night after accidentally meeting frazzled, but meek, mom Kiki (Kristen Bell) and the sluttiest mom on campus, Carla (Kathryn Hahn) at the bar. One thing leads to another and the girls decide that being “good” moms is nearly killing them, and it’s about time they let their hair down and became “bad” moms for a while.

Letting their wild side and their true personalities show, Kiki, Amy and Carla raise a little cain, and just have FUN for the first time in years. The only thing is that this garners the attention of Gwendolyn and her cadre of parroting minions, leading to Amy’s daughter Jane being sidelined on the soccer team. Furious at the concept of “perfect Gwendolyn” terrorizing her and the rest of the moms, Amy decides to run against her for PTA president. A decision that will turn into an all-out war between the “good” moms and the newly formed “Bad” moms for supremacy. Along the way will be hot widowers, ticked off kids, and lots of foul language and stupidity.

With “Bad Moms” making an epic summer haul and with some critical acclaim I went into the film with good expectations. We have a stellar cast with Mila Kunis, Kathryn Hahn, Kristen Bell (I adore her), Jada Pinkett Smith (who’s relegated to a few minute cameos), Christina Applegate, and Annie Mumolo, but what ended up happening is an over the top comedy that just borrows from so many other stupid comedies at the end of the day. The premise is admirable, and DEFINITELY something that could have been lampooned well. Being a mom is tough work and well worth celebrating, but what happens next is an unrealistic look at life and how things turn out. Instead of becoming darker and more satirical in nature, the film is content to just recycle clichés and “happy endings” that really make one shake their head at the end of the day. Instead of allowing the moms to go truly overboard and experience some darker humor, everything turns out like a perfect world fantasy with Amy winning the PTA meeting, becoming friends with the wicked witch of the west, and her career goals turning out like magic and meeting a hunky new friend scant weeks after she kicks her husband to the curb. It just leaves a sour taste in your mouth with the whole ridiculousness of the situation.

Kind of like “Bridesmaids”, “Bad Moms” focuses directly on the three moms here with just about everyone else acting as supplementary fodder for the trio. Amy actually is well done here, with a lot of energy put into the role by Mila Kunis. The first quarter of the film does a great job of setting up the frustration and exhaustion felt by the character with her over stressed life, but the real scene stealer is Kiki (Kristen Bell). She plays the over meek and mild house mom who just wants out of the house to a T. I was pretty much giggling the entire time she was on screen. The odd man out was Kathryn Hahn. She’s usually a funny comedian, but her brand of brash and overly sexed humor just didn’t play out so well here. She felt shoe horned in and just an excuse to say every foul word in the book just for shock humor. Sure this was an R-rated comedy with the girls more than capable of slapping in some mature language, but it felt heavily weighted in Kathryn’s side of the dialog for her to just run wild at the mouth. It wasn’t so much offensive (I’m almost impossible to offend) as much as it seemed excessive for no apparent reason. The same way with her trying to be the “slut” of the group. It just felt excessive and so over the top that it ended up being unfunny.

Now the girls really did put a lot of heart and soul into their work. The film would have been a complete train wreck had it not been for the three leads and Christina Applegate (who does a fantastic job at being the queen bee). The energy is palpable and most of the humor comes from Mila, Kristen and Kathryn feeding off of each other’s frustrated chemistry. The movie luckily isn’t a train wreck, but the humorous bits are often offset by many scenes of excess and ridiculous fairy tale endings that just sapped the film of the real potential it had.

Rating:

Rated R for sexual material, full frontal nudity, language throughout, and drug and alcohol content

Video
“Bad Moms” comes to Blu-ray with a rather pedestrian, but more than capable digital shoot. The movie itself is a comedy and thus isn’t eye candy, but I was surprised at how rather “huh” it was in general. Colors are natural, but the contrast and whites are a boosted a bit high to give a sort of unnatural “glow” to the film’s look. Detail is solid enough, showing off plenty of facial details and intimate detailing on clothes, the white Range Rover that Gwendolyn drives and simple things like the texture on a white picket fence. I did notice that the image looked like it had a layer of glossiness put over the top of the film, giving it a slightly soft look. Most likely trying to making some of the older stars look like they’re in their mid 30’s when they’re actually about 10-15 years older. Black levels are stable, but fairly middle of the road with some crush here and there. Overall a solid enough transfer, just not one that is going to knock your socks off and use as the next demo for your home theater system.

Audio
Wow! I have to say that I’m really surprised with this audio track. Most comedies are very stereotypical in nature and feature front heavy mixes that really focus on dialog. “Bad Moms” happens to sport a VERY nice 7.1 DTS-HD MA track that takes advantage of ALL 8 channels with ease. Dialog is always strong and clean, locked up front in the center channel, but the surrounds and LFE channel don’t get shafted this time around. There’s ample opportunity for the surrounds to get use with all sorts of pop songs flowing throughout the film, as well as sports cars revving engines on the city streets, the cheering of PTA moms and other sundry activities. Talking about sports cars revving up engines. I was amazed at the sheer power and depth that the LFE channel was used in this film. The first time Amy fired up her husband’s car I was taken aback as it comes in loud and DEEP, with good support for the music as well as differing supporting noises throughout the film. Top notch 7.1 track, comedy or not.

Extras

• Gag Reel
• Deleted Scenes
• Cast and Mom Interviews

Overall:

“Bad Moms” isn’t exactly the bastion of creativity and humor, but it works as a decent enough rental if you like dirty comedies that are geared towards the female cast. I wouldn’t rate it up there with the wit and humor of “Bridesmaids”, but it works decently enough, and that is mainly because of the cast’s enthusiasm for the subject matter at hand. Kathryn Hahn is always funny (albeit not as much this time around) and it’s nice to see Christina Applegate back in the comedy saddle. Audio is fantastic and video encode is solid enough, leaving me to recommend it as a decent enough rental when you’re in the mood.

Additional Information:

Starring: Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Kathryn Hahn
Directed by: Jon Lucas, Scott Moore
Written by: Jon Lucas, Scott Moore
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 7.1
Studio: Universal
Rated: R
Runtime: 101 minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: November 1st, 2016

Buy Bad Moms On Blu-ray at Amazon

Recommendation: Rental