Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 78 Old 06-15-09, 06:41 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Star Trek 2009

Quote:
Wayde wrote: View Post
Although I was slow to adopt Next Gen I grew to love it too and look back fondly on the characters.
Likewise for me also..

I think Patrick Stewart was an excellent choice for Picard, along with the rest of the crew..Data being the standout..

It's funny..When I look back at some of the Kirk series and films, they seem a bit corny now compared to Next Generation..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 Old 06-15-09, 10:38 PM
Senior Shackster
paints

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Likewise for me also..

I think Patrick Stewart was an excellent choice for Picard, along with the rest of the crew..Data being the standout..

It's funny..When I look back at some of the Kirk series and films, they seem a bit corny now compared to Next Generation..
That's pretty understandable. Shoot! It was made in the 60's. What made it unique for it's time is that it tried to be serious. Remember most Sci-Fi on tv back then was basically monster of the week and kill it. Shows like Voyage to the Bottom of the sea or Lost in Space (another horrible remake I might add) were the norm.

I'm pretty lucky. I grew up watching what my dad did. So I can slip in and out of those decades pretty easy and appreciate films/tv for their times. And yeah...I know there was a ton of corny stuff from the original series. It's a shame Rodenberry moved out of the creative side in season 2 and the slide began. The fans saved the show with a letter campaign for a third season. But by then the whole creative element was going into the crapper.

Whatever anyone thinks of the original series...They changed the perception of sci-fi and helped legitimize the genre a bit.
post #23 of 78 Old 06-16-09, 06:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Getting off the track for a moment..I used to love those old black and white sci-fi movies, back in the 50's and 60's..infact that's when my love of sci-fi began..
My favourite at the time was 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'..and whadya you know..it's back again!!

Prof..

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #24 of 78 Old 06-17-09, 04:34 PM
Shackster

Tex

Excellent review! I went and saw it with my wife. I'm not a devotee to the original series (though I do like a lot of the episodes), however I am a big fan of the movies (with V being a noted exception).

I was very impressed with the overall storyline and how it was pulled together. I would tend to disagree on the importance of Leonard Nimoy's part (at least the part in the middle), as it served to explain what was happening and to set the stage for this cast to boldly go forward and not squelch the fun of the old series and films.

I certainly agree that Karl Urban IS Dr. McCoy (and Abrams does a pretty good job of explaining why he ended up in Starfleet the same time as Kirk).

Quinto did a good job, though he was a bit more out of control than I would have imagined Spock to be.

I completely agree that they shortchanged the Kobayashi Maru. Pegg as Scotty was respectable, especially since Scotty was almost a self parody in the movies.

The rest were pretty adequate (with my agreement that Pine's Kirk did do a good job of showing the "I don't believe in no-win situations" persona), and I thought that the Kirk/Spock chemistry did meld as the movie progressed. I would really like to see the same cast come back for another movie to see if the overall chemistry can continue to grow.

Overall, I would be excited about a second film.

Last edited by texfrazer; 06-18-09 at 09:36 AM.
post #25 of 78 Old 10-22-09, 12:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Derek

My System

Well, against my better judgment (not specific to this movie, but just blind buying anything that I have reservations about), I just ordered this film . Every person I have talked to has said that it is a fantastic movie, even in spite of it being called "Star Trek". We will see next month if I made the right decision... (I'm hopeful that it will shine as a stand-alone action/adventure film)

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

The Overlook Theater - Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.

Last edited by Vader; 10-22-09 at 01:05 PM.
post #26 of 78 Old 10-22-09, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

I loved this film when I saw it in theaters. Even my wife agreed. We are no "Trekkers" that's for certain and it had enough substance to keep us both entertained thoroughly.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #27 of 78 Old 10-22-09, 05:47 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

That sounds like a good recommendation..when you hear a report like that from a non Trekky!

Prof..

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #28 of 78 Old 10-23-09, 11:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

In all honesty, I will even go as far as to say that this was one of my favorite movies of 2009.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #29 of 78 Old 10-23-09, 05:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

WOW!!..that is saying something!!
I'll be ordering this one shortly..

Prof..

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #30 of 78 Old 10-23-09, 09:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Prof. I hope I am haven't built this movie up too much for you now!