Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 78 Old 10-24-09, 02:41 AM
Banned!

Re: Star Trek 2009

This was so well done that I really did not expect it to be as good as it is, most certainly ordering this on BD...Fantastic film and look forward to sequels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 10-24-09, 05:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
Prof. I hope I am haven't built this movie up too much for you now!
Not a chance!..I'd be buying this movie anyway, to add to my collection of Star Trek movies..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #33 of 78 Old 10-26-09, 01:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Prof, since you are a Star Trek fan, I would just caution you a bit, though. J.J. Abrams takes some creative liberties with parts of the Star Trek legacy and deviates a tad (or maybe quite a bit), or so I've heard. If you can overlook some of the things, then I think you will enjoy it thoroughly.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #34 of 78 Old 10-26-09, 07:50 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I have not spoken to a Star Trek fan yet that thought the "creative liberties" taken were a big problem with the film. I thought it was the best one yet other than maybe Wrath of Khan. It is fiction, after all.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #35 of 78 Old 10-26-09, 12:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Yeah, several of my "Trekker" friends said basically the same thing. The changes were enough to make mention, but not enough for them to prevent them from enjoying the movie.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #36 of 78 Old 10-26-09, 05:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
Prof, since you are a Star Trek fan, I would just caution you a bit, though. J.J. Abrams takes some creative liberties with parts of the Star Trek legacy and deviates a tad (or maybe quite a bit), or so I've heard. If you can overlook some of the things, then I think you will enjoy it thoroughly.
Yes, thanks Jon..
I had heard some time ago that there would be some deviations, so I'm ready for that..

At the moment I'm changing all my Star Trek DVD's to Blu-ray..
The transfer quality on the re-mastered disc's is excellent..It gives new life to the old movies..
I highly recommend them for all the ST fans out there..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #37 of 78 Old 10-27-09, 12:27 PM
Banned!
andy summers

Pre-ordered my copy of Star Trek region 2 DVD thou I don’t expect to see it selling out like hot cakes from HMV within 24 hours on the day of its release this November.

Saw Star Trek at Empire Leicester Square (JBL 56KW THX Dolby digital cinema) on May 7th twice that day, once front row and centre and second showing in the circle sweet spot centred.

Image was like blindingly bright sharp robust solid colours and (the flare camera effects) nice.

SPL db was rocking loud punchy full of reference glory, I mean I had to dry up all the drool off the floor after I left. It was that good!
post #38 of 78 Old 11-16-09, 09:02 AM
Banned!
andy summers

The Bluray B region looks marginal fair on my LCD video at 1080i on temporary bed sheet at 80 diagonal in 10 foot room width.

Colours look spot on
Brightness spot on
Contrast spot on

The six-track Dolby stereo Ture sounded nice and punchy right down to the impressive Foley work from footsteps to body punches to warp speed cracking the vacuum space barrier to Vulcan collapsing into black hole.

No issues came up. Iím fully pleased with this transfer it reflects closely to what I experienced at the Empire Leicester Square on May 7th via Dolby digital cinema and the 56KW JBL THX sound system.

My system is only small 1.5KW and itís plentiful enough.

Iím presently listening to the audio commentary session while typing. The director and crew keep making references to DVD so I guess they must be watching a DVD and not Bluray?

The crew sounds cheery while relieving details of each scene of the filming.

post #39 of 78 Old 11-16-09, 09:46 AM
Banned!
andy summers

My ViviCam 3785 doesnít capture too well under artificial or low light conditions due to the lens. The image as tint of green due to low light level, what do you expect for £50.00 camera?
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review-star-trek-bluray2.jpg  

Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review-star-trek-bluray1.jpg  

Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review-star-trek-bluray3.jpg  

Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review-star-trek-bluay4.jpg  

post #40 of 78 Old 11-16-09, 11:36 AM
Banned!
andy summers

Did this quick video taken from second Bluray disc extras

Ben Burtt and the sounds of Star Trek

Photon Torpedo

I’m curios about it myself, for the mixing techniques, for the original TV show. Would original mixers have used multi-track tape mixed down for monaural sound for the show.

If that’s the case then maybe the photon torpedo is made up of several sounds mixed down to one sound?

I like the ososlator sound generator it sounded like Forbidden Planet