Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 78 Old 11-16-09, 07:50 PM
Senior Shackster

Derek

My System
Re: Star Trek 2009

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I have not spoken to a Star Trek fan yet that thought the "creative liberties" taken were a big problem with the film.
You have now... I just watched it, and while it was a very well produced action film, it was (IMO) definitely not Star Trek (though I would like to know in what universe a third class midshipman fresh out of the academy is handed the keys to the most advanced starship ever built at the time: Going from ensign directly to captain with no rank advancement... impressive). Given what Abrams wanted to do with Superman, it is no surprise that he showed little to no concern for what has been established over the last 40 years...

That being said, I am glad I own it, and it will get repeat viewings due to the fact that I like popcorn movies. In my mind, it is like the 1998 Godzilla (GINO vs STINO? ). It is a guilty pleasure, but disrespects the source material to the extreme by poor writing (see my rank advancement comment above).

As for all of the Trek fans that liked it as a Trek film, I am glad that the franchise has found new life, and any further films in the series (c'mon... you know there will be) will provide more topics of debate between myself and my fellow pro-Abrams Trekkies . Then again, that in and of itself, will provide a lot of fun...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

The Overlook Theater - Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.

Last edited by Vader; 11-16-09 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 78 Old 11-16-09, 09:31 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I get my BD copy tomorrow... can't wait for the mail to run. I may have to take off early and come home and watch it. Ahhh... I'll probably end up waiting til the weekend... something really look forward to all week.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #43 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 12:49 AM
Banned!
andy summers

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I get my BD copy tomorrow... can't wait for the mail to run. I may have to take off early and come home and watch it. Ahhh... I'll probably end up waiting til the weekend... something really look forward to all week.
Sounds too me like your postal service is running on impulse power. They need more warp speed.
post #44 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 04:12 AM
Banned!

Picked up a copy of this film on BD yesterday, superb movie and certainly gives your sound system a good work out
post #45 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 07:18 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
Vader wrote: View Post
You have now... I just watched it, and while it was a very well produced action film, it was (IMO) definitely not Star Trek (though I would like to know in what universe a third class midshipman fresh out of the academy is handed the keys to the most advanced starship ever built at the time: Going from ensign directly to captain with no rank advancement... impressive). Given what Abrams wanted to do with Superman, it is no surprise that he showed little to no concern for what has been established over the last 40 years...

That being said, I am glad I own it, and it will get repeat viewings due to the fact that I like popcorn movies. In my mind, it is like the 1998 Godzilla (GINO vs STINO? ). It is a guilty pleasure, but disrespects the source material to the extreme by poor writing (see my rank advancement comment above).

As for all of the Trek fans that liked it as a Trek film, I am glad that the franchise has found new life, and any further films in the series (c'mon... you know there will be) will provide more topics of debate between myself and my fellow pro-Abrams Trekkies . Then again, that in and of itself, will provide a lot of fun...
There is always one...a first time for everything.

Since when did Kirk ever follow rules?

I can understand your concern with departure from tradition, Bones. Star Trek, after all is about a centuries old social structure that certainly can't tolerate deviants like that.

My initial thought was, HEY!, what are they doing, but then I just kicked back and took the ride. After all, the big picture was the same, and details are just that. It is fiction, and the movie was sort of like a rememberance of youth...and memory is such that from any particular perspective, the story could be very different. Or, as your question suggests, it could just be an alternative reality or universe. That was the theme of more than one OE.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #46 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I'll be picking it up Wednesday (wife is in school all day Tuesday).

I've seen this twice in the theater, now I am wondering how well it will do with the test of time.

When it first came out there was an excitement about it because it had been awhile since a Trek movie, and after the poor box office showing of the last several attempts everyone was resigned to thinking the movie franchise was over. In that sense this was a very good thing. It revived the movie franchise and also brought in a whole new set of fans.

Now though I am starting to wonder at what cost.

The new Trek has lots of action and is a great Sci-Fi popcorn flick, but the more I look at it the less it looks like Star Trek to me.

As I mentioned earlier, I really didn't like them all being at the academy at the same time and Abram's excuse of this being an alternate timeline isn't standing up well after repeat viewings and over time. Then there is the engineering level, and the bridge.

One thing that Rodenberry always said about Star Trek was that as much as the cast and crew were important to the show, the Enterprise was the real star of the series. The bridge is an iconic Sci-Fi image, however this new Enterprise is just about as generic looking as you can get. Can anyone really describe what the bridge looks like? Or any part of the interior of the ship for that matter.

Also there is something strange about the nacelles and warp drive engines. I read where Abrams was going for more of a 'hot rod' or 'muscle car' look over a sleek design of the newer series ships. I know this part is minor, but something really looks out of place with the engines.

It's still a fun movie, but it totally rips apart Trek at the core. I know they explain it away as being different because it's an alternate timeline... When it comes to alternate timelines... I guess I like Mirror/Mirror better! Spock with a goatee! Now that was cool!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #47 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 04:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post

The new Trek has lots of action and is a great Sci-Fi popcorn flick, but the more I look at it the less it looks like Star Trek to me.
Same for me!..I've watched it twice now on Blu-ray and it's a great sci-fi movie..but I can't relate it as a Star Trek movie..

Quote:
excuse of this being an alternate timeline isn't standing up well after repeat viewings and over time.
I think this was the biggest disappointment for me..The timeline thing just doesn't gel and you come away thinking..Is this Star Trek!!
Quote:
Then there is the engineering level, and the bridge.
The engineering was huge, but totally out of date and too "nuts and bolts"..
Even the original "Enterprise" series had a more futuristic looking engineering section..
It's not surprising really when you see where they filmed the engineering system for this movie!!
I wonder whether any of you guys in the US recognise the engineering section!!?

Quote:
The bridge is an iconic Sci-Fi image, however this new Enterprise is just about as generic looking as you can get. Can anyone really describe what the bridge looks like? Or any part of the interior of the ship for that matter.
The bridge was more in keeping with the period, but I agree, we never really saw what the whole bridge looks like..just bits and pieces..and if anybody asked me what the interior looked like..I couldn't tell you!!

One thing I did like that JJ Abrams included was the little bits of dialogue or references to other Star Trek movies...
That was about the only thing that you could relate to this being a part of the Star Trek saga..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #48 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
One thing I did like that JJ Abrams included was the little bits of dialogue or references to other Star Trek movies...
That was about the only thing that you could relate to this being a part of the Star Trek saga..
Except... this is an 'alternate timeline' and none of the other movies even happened!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #49 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 05:17 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Good point..I hadn't considered that!
That just makes it more out of context!!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #50 of 78 Old 11-17-09, 06:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Wow, I just came back from our local big box store and they were already sold out of the "tin box" BluRay. I had to go with the 3 disc special addition regular case. There were three tills open and a line up at all of them everyone but two people that I could see had a copy of the movie.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900