Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 78 Old 11-27-09, 01:27 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
Re: Star Trek 2009

I did the same thing Leonard did,.... just kicked back and enjoyed it!

Really can't say much more than what has already been said, good or bad. Aside from the aforementioned flippant attitude during the Kobayashi Maru, the only thing that REALLY bugged me was Kirk's promotion at the end. A battlefield promotion...Ok, but once they returned? There is no way he would have retained the rank of Captain.

Otherwise,... I thought it was a hoot. One of the most enjoyable films I have seen in the last couple years.

Oh, and I was a Trekkie before Trekker became PC

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 Old 11-27-09, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I think the reasoning behind him retaining the rank was because he 'saved' Earth.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #73 of 78 Old 11-27-09, 08:49 AM
Banned!

Bob

That'll do it.
post #74 of 78 Old 12-05-10, 11:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Star Trek 2009 - In Theaters - Box Office Review

As usual, I'm about a year behind everyone else when it comes to seeing a movie. Just watched this one tonight.

As reboots go I guess this was as good as any, but I still didn't like it as a whole. I didn't mind Scotty being the comic relief since he came across that way often in the series, but I do think they over did it a bit. My real problem is with the new Kirk. Maybe it's just me, but I never saw the original Kirk as being such a skirt-chaser; maybe this is part of the reinvention of the franchise. No matter what it is I don't like it.

Spock and Uhura getting busy? I just didn't need that mental image... There is also no way Spock would have done that, and it isn't a race thing. Shipboard romances usually end badly and Spock would know that.

Many of the SFX were overdone and really had no meaning other than to wow the audience. I wasn't wowed. Don't get me wrong, the SFX were top-notch, it's just that many didn't add to the story telling.

Maybe I was seeing things, but I could have sworn that when Kirk and Spock were firing their phasers I detected recoil like they were firing a projectile weapon such as a modern day handgun. That doesn't work on any level.

The acting was very good imo, but some of it was a bit overdone.

In the end I see this as an excuse to continue the franchise into the 21st century which means it must cater to people that grew up playing video games and have a short attention span. No offense meant - it is what it is.
post #75 of 78 Old 12-06-10, 11:26 AM
Senior Shackster
usrsld

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I never saw the original Kirk as being such a skirt-chaser; maybe this is part of the reinvention of the franchise. No matter what it is I don't like it.
Must just be you... I seem to remember Kirk hooking up with a female alien every other episode in the original series.
post #76 of 78 Old 12-06-10, 05:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
My real problem is with the new Kirk. Maybe it's just me, but I never saw the original Kirk as being such a skirt-chaser; maybe this is part of the reinvention of the franchise. No matter what it is I don't like it.
Hahaha, you're being funny? Right? You may need to revisit the original series Don.
I do agree with you about Spock and Uhura, that was just silly.

Mark
post #77 of 78 Old 12-06-10, 09:45 PM
Senior Shackster
paints

Allright. Revisiting the devils (JJ Abrahms) version of Star Trek and after re-viewing the movie on blu-ray. I have come to this conclusion. There is no need for the Enterprise anymore. The genius that is Abrahms can now transport people from planets to moving starships. Can't believe that little tidbit didn't make my original beef list.

God I hate that movie. Wish Ron Moore would have done the reboot.
post #78 of 78 Old 12-07-10, 01:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

OK, I'll admit I perhaps remember ST-TOS as being more "innocent" than others perceive it (after all, it did push the censors to the limit and had a number of "firsts" to it's credit like the first interracial kiss and the first naked female belly-button), but I see a difference between flirting, and even dating, to hopping in bed at the drop of a hat (I'm trying to remain "family friendly" here). I guess they updated that to today's needs as well.

Something that stuck in my mind all these years (I'm 55) is at the end (I think) of the episode The Naked Time Kirk introspectively and sadly mutters to himself "No beach to walk on" meaning he knows that his responsibilities as a starship captain may well prevent him from having a real long-term relationship with a woman.

I guess I'm just not as world-wise as the rest of y'all.