G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 28 Old 11-20-09, 04:54 PM
Banned!

Bob

Re: G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
I will definitely keep that notion in my mind the next time I watch this film. While I thought about the cartoon correlation being directed towards the younger crowd while I watched the movie, I never really thought about it as a live action movie catered to the "inner kid".

Maybe I'll watch this again this weekend.
After you watched Star Trek with your wife Jon.

* By the way, have any kids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 11-21-09, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Yes, we have a two and a half year old daughter.

I will possibly watch this again tonight or tomorrow night.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #13 of 28 Old 11-21-09, 10:52 PM
Banned!

Bob

Yeah, I already thought that they might be too young, well your daughter.

Anyway, enjoy Star Trek for sure with your wife. And as for G.I. Joe, well, you'll have to reach deep inside your soul for the kid that resides there.

Cheers to you & your lovely family,
Bob
post #14 of 28 Old 11-22-09, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Well, this weekend was out. We ended up going to the movie sporadically last night. Kind of wish we didn't as the movie was not the greatest, but that's another story. Tonight is shot because my wife is not in the mood to watch another movie this weekend. I'll most likely watch it again in the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #15 of 28 Old 11-27-09, 12:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Color reproduction is very good as well, being very natural looking, but never flat. Nothing seems over saturated and the transfer really allows specific instances of bold colors to really pop, i.e. Scarlett’s deep red hair.
Color to me looked very washed out most of the time.
post #16 of 28 Old 11-27-09, 01:46 PM
Banned!
andy summers

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
Great review again Jon and have to say I really liked this film, the special effects are pretty good and yes far fetched but a good popcorn movie all the same, sounds brilliant through my system too...I keep buying too many BD and am running out of storage room for all my discs
I might pick this up for (Dennis Quid of "InnerSpace" and "The Right Stuff") and (Stephen Sommers for "The Mummy" and "Van Helsing") I’d doubt this will disappoint me on Bluray.

It’s out now! I haven’t seen it at HMV or ASDA?

You need to stack the discs as high up in the room, right to the top of the ceiling and yes use a stepladder!

Quote:
thewire wrote: View Post
Color to me looked very washed out most of the time.
What’s up with the colour does it look anything like want the Underworld films looked like as they had the colour purposely muted on them, haven’t seen Underworld 3 so I amuse they are sticking with colour signature for the film series.

If those are screen captures of the Bluray above posted by Jon the colour looks sound to me.

Last edited by Andysu; 11-27-09 at 01:56 PM.
post #17 of 28 Old 11-27-09, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

TheWire,

Colors didn't seemed washed out when I watched the movie. They certainly weren't eye-popping all the time like 'Up' is, but they certainly stood out to me enough and gave plenty of life to the image. I never got the impression that the image was flat-looking, which would've been the most tell-tale sign that the colors were washed out to me. There are better looking discs out there, but G.I. Joe is no slouch, in my opinion.

post #18 of 28 Old 11-27-09, 07:46 PM
Banned!

Bob

I just watched it again last night, and the colors were just fine, actually they were excellent.
post #19 of 28 Old 11-28-09, 01:49 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Andysu wrote: View Post
Whatís up with the colour does it look anything like want the Underworld films looked like as they had the colour purposely muted on them, havenít seen Underworld 3 so I amuse they are sticking with colour signature for the film series.

If those are screen captures of the Bluray above posted by Jon the colour looks sound to me.
It kind of reminded me of the color in aeon flux where some colors looked natural and others looked less impressive.

Quote:
Jon Lui wrote:
TheWire,

Colors didn't seemed washed out when I watched the movie. They certainly weren't eye-popping all the time like 'Up' is, but they certainly stood out to me enough and gave plenty of life to the image. I never got the impression that the image was flat-looking, which would've been the most tell-tale sign that the colors were washed out to me. There are better looking discs out there, but G.I. Joe is no slouch, in my opinion.
Different from UP yes.

Quote:
lordoftherings wrote:
I just watched it again last night, and the colors were just fine, actually they were excellent.
I did not expect such comments for my opinion on colors. Well okay..
post #20 of 28 Old 11-28-09, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Steven, I hope you don't feel we are ganging up on you. I definitely understand your point of view after your explanation of the similarity to Aeon Flux. I still don't necessarily agree, but I understand a bit more!

What did you think of the movie aside from the color/video aspect, though?