Star Trek 2009 - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 12-06-09, 03:52 AM
Banned!

Re: Star Trek 2009 Bluray Review

I really hope they do another with the same people as I do feel they did original Star Trek justice with this film...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 12-06-09, 04:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Interestingly though they filmed the engineering of the Kelvin in an old run down factory and it seems to fit. The only thing I laughed at during the Kelvin battle scene/abandon ship sequence were the guys in the background repelling from ropes! I don't know, that just totally cracked me up and does every time I see it. It was almost like a spoof or something. I have no idea what Abrams was thinking when he said 'Hey... you know what would look really cool and super high tech and futuristic? Let's have some guys sliding down ropes for no apparent reason!"
LOL!!..Yeah I had forgotten that bit of ridiculousness!!

Watching the extras on the movie, it did show me that JJ Abrams is a brilliant guy..but maybe balancing on the edge of sanity!!.. as a lot of brilliant people quite often are!!..and because of this, they can sometimes go from the sublime to the ridiculous..
I think that's what must have happened to him while making this film..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #13 of 30 Old 12-06-09, 07:55 PM
Banned!

Bob

Thanks Bill for the review. I already saw this one few times already, and it is a must have title to add in my Blu-ray collection.
Highly recommended for sure.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-06-09, 08:00 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Lordoftherings wrote: View Post
Thanks Bill for the review. I already saw this one few times already, and it is a must have title to add in my Blu-ray collection.
Highly recommended for sure.
Agreed Bob. This is a fun film.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-06-09, 08:10 PM
Banned!

Bob

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
Agreed Bob. This is a fun film.
Hey, that's nice of you lsiberian.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-07-09, 05:14 PM
Banned!
andy summers

Re: Star Trek 2009 Blu-ray Review

Iím really pleased with the transfer of the region B edition. Its image is transparent to what I saw at the Empire Leicester Square colours are richly bold in depth and saturation that has me, drooling and looking at my, own skin tone colour, truly a remarkable transfer.

Artefacts of green smearing I was fearing as this commonly crops up on most poorly supervised transfers, but not Star Trek, its free and has lot of flare effects that tests the image clarity to maximum warp factor.

The DolbyTure slams on the opening punches on the warp speed and glows down low when Vulcan collapses into back hole, (truly out of order in changing the timeline events). But itís done now.

Extras, extras, seems like Mr. Scott has managed to push those warp factor extras to the limit.

Bonus digital copy included and all for under £20.00 which is the cost coach ticket to London, plus £5.00 on the tube, plus £10.00 to get in the Empire, now then, this is one of good deal.

One of the best 2D Dolby cinema digital films Iíve seen at the Empire this year, and now on Bluray, good one Paramount, just keep the standards as high as this one.

Picture 10/10
Sound 10/10
Extras 10/10
post #17 of 30 Old 12-09-09, 12:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Quote:
Andysu wrote: View Post
I’m really pleased with the transfer of the region B edition. Its image is transparent to what I saw at the Empire Leicester Square colours are richly bold in depth and saturation that has me, drooling and looking at my, own skin tone colour, truly a remarkable transfer.

Artefacts of green smearing I was fearing as this commonly crops up on most poorly supervised transfers, but not Star Trek, its free and has lot of flare effects that tests the image clarity to maximum warp factor.

The DolbyTure slams on the opening punches on the warp speed and glows down low when Vulcan collapses into back hole, (truly out of order in changing the timeline events). But it’s done now.

Extras, extras, seems like Mr. Scott has managed to push those warp factor extras to the limit.

Bonus digital copy included and all for under £20.00 which is the cost coach ticket to London, plus £5.00 on the tube, plus £10.00 to get in the Empire, now then, this is one of good deal.

One of the best 2D Dolby cinema digital films I’ve seen at the Empire this year, and now on Bluray, good one Paramount, just keep the standards as high as this one.

Picture 10/10
Sound 10/10
Extras 10/10
I found that there were quite a few scenes that had lighting artifacts. Maybe not a result of the transfer, but a result of poor cemera work and post production. There are a few scenes where the bridge controls seem to be super imposed and there are a few annoying sunbursts. Overall I'd give the video only a 4.5 because I've seen better and wouldn't say to someone that this movie is the best demo material you could show on your 10' screen. The audio is pretty good, but again it's not earth shattering. There are many other movies I'd rather demo over this one. I'd give it a 4.5 though, just not a 5.

The movie itself is just OK. Leonard Nimoy seriously looks like he needs a walker and the romantic involvement of Spock and Uhura is just plain ridiculous. The actors playing the original favorites did a very good job, although the portrayal of Checkov was a little bit over done.

Comparing this to all of the other Star Trek, including TNG, movies I would say it rounds out the top 5, bust mostly because it's more modern and the special effects are nice. The thing that the other movies have over the newest edition is the depth of the characters. Even though we have Kirk, Spock, Bones, Sulu, Scotty, Uhura and Checkov who have so much built up character in the original series and the movies their new counterparts lack a lot of that just because it's a different actor playing them. Other than Spock and Kirk they really didn't develop the other main characters either. I was impressed by the portrayal of Kirk, Spock and Bones.

I do hope there is a sequel because I feel they could do a much better job and make a decent movie similar to the best of the best Star Treks like The Wrath of Khan or First Contact. I guess the first installment usually isn't as stellar like the original Motion Picture or Generations were.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-09-09, 12:35 AM
Banned!

Bob

Hi Zip,

The light's reflections were voluntary.

And yes there will be a sequel.

* If you watch the movie again, but this time with the main commentary, they talk about all of this and more.
...Very entertaining and educational commentary indeed.

Cheers,
Bob
post #19 of 30 Old 12-09-09, 06:46 AM
Elite Shackster

I really enjoyed this movie (I own it now) and cant disagree with the excellent review anywhere. I can only bring myself to give it 4 stars though over a few minor gripes of my own that arent worth sharing, but it mostly has to do with the fact I grew up a Trekie, loved all the original films (even ST4 and 5 ) and TNG pretty much dominated all my TV watching from the age of about 8.

Fantastic BR, excellent film and a quality SciFi flick for anyone. Its the shortest 2 hour + film I have watched in a very long time
post #20 of 30 Old 12-09-09, 05:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Its the shortest 2 hour + film I have watched in a very long time
I could not agree more!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx