Star Trek 2009 - Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 30 Old 12-11-09, 12:42 PM
Shackster
Mike

Re: Star Trek 2009 Blu-ray Review

Have to agree on the engineering scenes. While I understand the desire to create the "bowels of the ship" of the older starthips, it was used a little to often and hence didn't quite work for a believable scenario.

For example, the communications station where Urhura was stationed before going to the bridge just didn't make sense in it's location and layout. The background looked more like a busy subway station with people hand delivering paper requests than the internal workings of s ship, much less a starship. It was the only part of the film that felt "B-Movie" quality to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 12-11-09, 01:51 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I am glad I am not the only one who thought it was short. Weird!

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #23 of 30 Old 12-16-09, 08:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

For the most part I really enjoyed it but have some problems with the alternate time-line theme. It just seems to be a great loophole to allow major differences from the original series. (Like the destruction of Vulcan).

The set sure has come a long way from the one used on the original Enterprise!

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #24 of 30 Old 12-16-09, 08:37 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
For the most part I really enjoyed it but have some problems with the alternate time-line theme. It just seems to be a great loophole to allow major differences from the original series. (Like the destruction of Vulcan).

The set sure has come a long way from the one used on the original Enterprise!

Bob
Couldnt agree more. I wasnt going to do this but I'm interested in what others might say :

Things I didnt like where the done to death (in ST anyway) alternate time line/excuse to do what we want. Bit too Hollywood for a proper trek film. New ship looked a bit to 'new'. Alien mining ships are armed to the teeth why?. Alien ships these days all seem to have ledges all over the place to allow ease of falling to your death . No reason to have scotty teleport into a water pipe, thats just more silly Hollywood IMO. What on earth was the reason for the big overly CGI invent a creature exercise in the middle of the film. Inconsistency check ( not for the first time in ST) with ships warping on top of planets. No explanation as to why men in simple EVA suits didnt burn up in the atmosphere. I'm fairly sure they wouldnt have sat near the gravity well at the end risking dieing , and I didnt really like chekov.

Oh that feels better, sorry if its against the grain.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-19-09, 09:40 AM
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Couldnt agree more. I wasnt going to do this but I'm interested in what others might say :

Things I didnt like where the done to death (in ST anyway) alternate time line/excuse to do what we want. Bit too Hollywood for a proper trek film. New ship looked a bit to 'new'. Alien mining ships are armed to the teeth why?. Alien ships these days all seem to have ledges all over the place to allow ease of falling to your death . No reason to have scotty teleport into a water pipe, thats just more silly Hollywood IMO. What on earth was the reason for the big overly CGI invent a creature exercise in the middle of the film. Inconsistency check ( not for the first time in ST) with ships warping on top of planets. No explanation as to why men in simple EVA suits didnt burn up in the atmosphere. I'm fairly sure they wouldnt have sat near the gravity well at the end risking dieing , and I didnt really like chekov.

Oh that feels better, sorry if its against the grain.
I agree totaly with everything your saying, had the exact same thoughts as I watched it. The whole chekov thing I couldnt decide if the actor was realy good and trying to sound like he was "trying" not to have acccent or if he was simply trying much to hard to sound like young chekov, therefore thicker accent.

I also felt it lacked the science content, aka brianieness, I like from TNG, but I realized that the original series wasnt as briany either.

But overall I loved the movie 4.8/5, I realy liked the new warping sound effect, but as with all "sound" in space, in movies

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #26 of 30 Old 12-19-09, 06:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
funky_waves wrote: View Post
I agree totaly with everything your saying, had the exact same thoughts as I watched it. The whole chekov thing I couldnt decide if the actor was realy good and trying to sound like he was "trying" not to have acccent or if he was simply trying much to hard to sound like young chekov, therefore thicker accent.

I also felt it lacked the science content, aka brianieness, I like from TNG, but I realized that the original series wasnt as briany either.

But overall I loved the movie 4.8/5, I realy liked the new warping sound effect, but as with all "sound" in space, in movies
I think it really says something for the film though, when us TNG Trekkies pull it to bits like that, but still give it 4 or 5 stars
post #27 of 30 Old 12-20-09, 08:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
I think it really says something for the film though, when us TNG Trekkies pull it to bits like that, but still give it 4 or 5 stars
I think that's because the movie on its own is very good and most of the 'minor' issues stem from the fact that it has a history and we can compare it to the original and point out things that don't synchronize. Outside of that even when they bend the rules of physics a bit in a movie, it's not a major issue since it is 'science fiction' and you have to accept a certain amount of that. Some like the science part closer to reality and some like it with more fiction.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #28 of 30 Old 12-20-09, 10:18 AM
Shackster
eric

Send a message via Yahoo to ericld

Nicely done review. This was a fantastic film and gives credit to J.J. Abram's ability to continue a great story. I am anxious to see how the cast and crew mature into their roles, and of course, I hope no one drops out.
The whole time line thing is a little curious, with the loss of Vulcan, the Vulcans may not be able to play the part of the conceited, self absorbed, superior race, but actually might have to humble themselves in their plight to survive. And will Spock be content as first officer, will he be distracted with the Vulcan dilemma, or will he realize that he will be intellectual reasoning behind Kirk's impulsive passions.
Yes, Nero's blunt "Hello" was not what I expected coming from a Romulan. However, it might be playing to him being a "honest working" miner that gave him a less than Romulan etiquette. He sure didnt loose the calculating strategist personality though when he set out for vengeance. Lets see how the rest of the Romulans live up to this.
I agree with the design of the engineering of the new flagship. I dont think there is that much plumbing on a carrier. A little too many pipes to burst when taking a pounding. And the communications area did look more like the floor of the stock market at closing, rather than one of the most important areas of the ship. It would be busy, but in a quiet and orderly fashion. Over all though, it was nicely done. That was a lot of detail to work out, and I am sure the "Treke" community will play a large part in making sure it is kept as realistic and true. Since we all know, most of this technology is in fact theoretically possible at some point in our future. That is the driving force behind Star Treke. Like Jules Vern's epic stories that captivated the imagination, so does JJ Abrams and Gene Rodenberry.
Now Kirk lives up to his reputation as a womanizer and brawler. Always looking for a good fight, and a pretty woman. I think all the crew fit in rather well, especially Bones and Scotty.
Looking forward to the next movie.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-14-10, 10:34 PM
Shackster
tonyrich87

This is one of my favorite.
post #30 of 30 Old 01-22-10, 06:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

I finally got around to watching this a couple days ago. This was one of the better made Star Trek movies that I have seen. The casting in this movie was top shelf. Quinto was an excellent Spock. I thought I may have had some issues with him as up until now I could not imagine him as anything other than Sylar in Heroes.