2012-Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 03-04-10, 03:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
Re: 2012-BluRay Review

I also checked my brain and ignored a lot of stuff. Eh... I found it mildly entertaining as a popcorn flick and enjoyed the audio/visual splendor

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 03-04-10, 04:18 PM
Senior Shackster
goonstopher

This movie was a very enjoyable first watch.

I say enjoyable and first watch for a reason. It was enjoyable in that the overall experience did interest me. It was over the top and a disappointing in the end but the speculation over what kind of political drama or social comment might be made in the ending as well as the nature of the ending, did in fact make me roll with the movie and be involved. It was fun for the FIRST time watching it. First time is important because going through it again I would only see all the missed potential because the suspense over what things could be done would now be gone and replaced with disappointment. So yes, this missed what it could have been and it would have been amazing if it hadn't, but for a first watch it was enjoyable enough to "waste" 2.5 hours.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-04-10, 09:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

I'll have to check out this movie via Netflix. I am a fan of Roland Emmerich's stuff, but I definitely have to suspend disbelief to enjoy them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #14 of 21 Old 03-05-10, 12:52 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
I'll have to check out this movie via Netflix. I am a fan of Roland Emmerich's stuff, but I definitely have to suspend disbelief to enjoy them.
It's worth a watch Jon for a Friday or Saturday night movie, typical Emmerich OTT special effects but certainly enjoyable.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-05-10, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Thanks John. I love mass destruction movies like these, so I am sure I will get at least some level of enjoyment out of it!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #16 of 21 Old 03-14-10, 12:24 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

It took me a while to see it and it was not before our friends brought it over on Blu-ray tonight that I finally watched it. Long movie, but it was pretty good. Actually better than I expected, however, there was quite a bit that looked very fake... then there were some parts that appeared as though they could have been real. I won't buy it and probably won't watch it again, but glad I at least got to see it once.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #17 of 21 Old 03-14-10, 12:30 AM
Senior Shackster
goonstopher

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
It took me a while to see it and it was not before our friends brought it over on Blu-ray tonight that I finally watched it. Long movie, but it was pretty good. Actually better than I expected, however, there was quite a bit that looked very fake... then there were some parts that appeared as though they could have been real. I won't buy it and probably won't watch it again, but glad I at least got to see it once.
Agree 100%
post #18 of 21 Old 03-20-10, 05:32 PM
Banned!
andy summers

I only read a few words about the plot and my mind was filling in the rest of the details.

Wow looks like it might be a worthy buy on region B hope transfer is of mirror image quality.

Oh, only dtsHDMA no DolbyTrue oh well Iíll get over it if the film mix sounds just as good as the trailer looks I think Iíll enjoy this disaster flick.

Itís out at on March 29th 2012 no just kidding, 2010.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-25-10, 08:58 AM
Shackster
Tui

Terrible movie, totally uninteresting and the FX really looked fake, don't waste your money on this movie.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-31-10, 05:16 PM
Banned!
andy summers

I brought “2012” today for little as £16.00 which is the rough price of common DVD title many, years ago.

What can I say after surviving the ear busting sound!

I thought my projector lamp was acting up?

I noticed while watching the end credits, wow very long…

Panavision Genesis

No I’m not a fan of Panavision Genesis (digital film) the dark scene looked like total yuck. I’m not having jab at the film its not the only, one I have, on DVD/Bluray ware “Panavision Genesis” cameras have been used.

Mimi Vice
Collateral
Public Enemies
The X-files I want to Believe (parts of night time shots)

As for the colour balance it was free of (green smearing).

The visual effects served the film justifiable (too many visual effects in this 158min film).

The long distractive scene showing California sinking into the ocean was just unbelievable scary at times.

It did make me cry a little. I mean this isn’t an uplifting film it’s the end of the world thing.

Sound wise dtsHDMA was just ear bustlingly loud when called for.

The dialogue level was rather soft. I would I have preferred a DolbyTure least I could use the Dolby compressor to suppress louder moments and all I need to do is modify the crossover slopes on DCX2496 LCR LF/HF and bump up the master volume level +6db which would make dialogue sound even richer and involving to follow the story, while retaining my “tinnitus” issue.

Least the dialogue level wasn’t as low as “Public Enemies”… hmm I’ll research into that film at some later point.

The stereo surrounds on “2012” fully surrounded the living room (when called for). I don’t know my cat can catnap though a loud film while he sat on right-side of the sofa.

LFE.1 I noticed on Spectrumlab while peeking at the pc that is to left-side of the sofa. Didn’t go much below 20Hz unless I missed scene or two?

I might re-watch it again this Saturday the very least Sunday. I got to give my ears a rest 90db is loud.

I’m going to be fair, fair and give “2012” okay