The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-10, 12:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) - Blu-Ray Review

Thanks for the review.
I'll have to decide if I should terminate my Amazon pre-order.
As you said, a slightly better video (despite problems) and great audio may still make it worth it.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-27-10, 07:20 AM
Shackster
Mark

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) - Blu-Ray Review

Appreciate the great review. Like the rest of us, I too am disappointed with the PQ transfer. Uggh.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-27-10, 07:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Lester

My System

Disappointing after the long wait. Waiting for the extended release but I don't expect they will put any additional effort into that one to fix these issues.
But being a big fan of LOTR, I'm going to have to get it anyway.
Appreciate the detailed and thorough review...one of the better reviews I have ever read.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-27-10, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

It really is unfortunate that we are all reduced to hoping that it will work out for the best with the EE's. As you said though - there isn't much likelihood of that.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-28-10, 02:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Ive been waiting for these to be released for so long now. Ive not watched them since they were originally released, and now I''m going to wait longer still. I never was a huge fan of the softer look of the films, although I understand its part of the effect of fantasy, but I was hoping there wouldnt be anything that would let this down. The real kicker is, now I've read this review, I'd spend the entire time looking for the issues, which I just wont subject myself too.

Shame this one, but it seem my wait on these will continue a little longer

Great review, and thanks for taking the sheer amount of time youve invested in backing up what you have said about the picture quality , here's hoping they take note.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-28-10, 07:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Not too much I can add to the comments already made which reflect how I feel. This thrilogy is the pinnacle of my favorite movies and I'm really dissapointed in how Warner Brothers has dealt with this thrilogy from the very beginning. Apparently decent business practices has gone the way of penny candy.

Maybe if enough people complain they'll reissue it as was done with the Fifth Element.

In any case, I'll repeat what the others have said, great review and thank you for putting the time into it.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #17 of 19 Old 01-01-11, 04:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Danny

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) - Blu-ray Review

Dave,

Very well written review, thanks!

I sadly agree that the extended realease will not show any video improvements, they probably will just add the deleted scenes and be done with it once and for all. As a huge LOTR fan, I bought the DVD trilogy TWICE, but religiously boycoted the theatrical BD version... I still don't know whether or not to purchase the extended edition, what Warner is doing is way below average. If most businesses treated their customers this way they would go under in no time. For some reason, the movie industry feels exempt and has no problem walking all over their customers. I hope eventually this will come back to bite them in the rear end.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-13-11, 05:35 PM
Shackster
jason

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) - Blu-ray Review

Thanks for the review I was going to pick this up today. Will probably stick with the dvd like the others.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-21-11, 07:34 PM
Shackster

It is only a matter of time before they are re-mastered and re-released in the Extended Versions. Hopefully that will usher in a better transfer.