The Karate Kid - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 10-22-10, 01:05 AM
Shackster
John Rock

Re: The Karate Kid - Blu-ray Review

This remake may have garnered good reviews from the original poster but I don't need to see it when the original was already perfect. Why does hollywood have to do remakes of already classic and successful films? I can understand if someone wanted to try and improve on the original especially if the special effects required it like Clash of the Titans but Karate Kid needed to be left alone. I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan too but this movie won't be watched by me. What's next, a remake of Back to the Future, Say Anything or Goonies? I grew up with these movies and they don't need to be ruined with new versions. If you want your kids to watch something good just show them the classics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 10-22-10, 12:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

It's all about money. The studios want to know that a movie will make them money. Previously successful movies remade or sequels to blockbusters tend to make a buck. The scripts are easier to manufacture also since a lot of the originality needed to make an interesting screenplay have already been tackled. Throw in a few few big name actors, a good director and crew and you're setting up a formula for success (financially).

It's like playing roulette and being able to cover more numbers with less chips. There is still a chance it could flop but the odds are less.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-02-10, 07:21 AM
Senior Shackster
Jason

I couldn't watch the whole thing. I fell asleep on my sofa watching it and woke up with the ending credits running. It bored me. pick up your jacket drop it. now put it on. blah blah blah. It's not as good as the older ones. the older ones had him wax car then do other work around the house. this one just had him do the one thing then show him the moves. and they showed him picking up the jacket over and over for many days. I was getting very bord. I would rate this about a 1 star movie.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-02-10, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Steffen

Keep in mind, I gave it a 5-star rating because it is a family movie. On a 5-star scale, it's hard to really separate movies and rate them because of there genre. Compared to Braveheart or Gladiator, I agree, this is a 2 star movie at best. But watching it as a family movie, I thought for a family with younger kids (lets remember the lead role is a 12-year old), this was a spectacular movie.

I agree, the original is better. But honestly, I don't know too many younger kids that are going to want to sit through a movie made in the 80s. The music, the picture, quality, who the actors are, this movie will appeal to families far more than the original. Also, I don't know too many American boys that fantasize about doing kung fu anymore, so I think the original will lose kids that way as well. lol At least this takes place in a culture where kung-fu is very much alive.

But yes, I do agree with you that this isn't the greatest of movies when compared, but in my opinion for a family film which it was intended, I thought it was great!

Steffen Harris
www.steffenharris.com
"A photograph is like the recipe - a memory the finished dish"