Battle: Los Angeles - Blu-Ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 01:44 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

Re: Battle: Los Angeles - Blu-Ray Review

Everyones a critic in their own way.

I loved this movie. From the intial confrontation, right down to the way it ends. Its one of the best alien action movies bar none. I didn't really give it justice, i did watch it on a 720p tv, with a 2 channel audio system. It wasn't lacking in bass, but from what i'm hearing, you need a sub, and a true surround setup to really enjoy this movie. I'm definitely willing to watch it again. So i will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 03:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
Critics spend too much time taking movies apart based on what they learned at film school and often forget to sit back and try to enjoy a movie. I liken Battle: L.A.'s bad reviews to the same kind of negative reviews The Expendables got. Check the brain and enjoy the ride!
I just finished watching this movie 5 minutes and figured I should post my thoughts on it. it is absolutely the best alien movie I have ever seen. Dale you are spot on. As much I enjoyed the movie TRON and specifically the audio, Battle LA is superior IMHO. My surrounds got a workout and the LFE is first rate. I will watch it again at next weeks movie night I am hosting.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #13 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Thanks Dwight! I couldn't agree more, I've seen it four times due to requests from friends and neighbors and could still watch it again. Loved it!!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
post #14 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 04:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I don't understand what the critics had to complain about and quite frankly don't care. I rented the BD. I will buy this tomorrow.

Cheers

Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
post #15 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 04:43 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Okay... you guys are making me buy this as well.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #16 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 04:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

You won't regret it Sonnie

post #17 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

It's definitely an HT staple moving forward.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
post #18 of 38 Old 06-14-11, 06:05 PM
Senior Shackster
SGA

Great review. I know what I'm doing this weekend (if I can wait that long).

On a side note... you really make a good point about the suspension of disbelief issue with fantasy movies. Most Hollywood storytellers can't maintain a consistent frame of reference because they are either uncreative in solving the situation they established for their protagonist, or they are simply ignoring its importance. The Independence Day example is a great one. Unfortunately, many people have this "it's already make believe so why is THAT so hard to swallow" mentality so the filmmakers are not likely to change anytime soon. That, to me, is a big difference between The Matrix (which I love) and Matrix Revolutions (which I find barely watchable). They just ran out of ideas and had to go full-ridiculous to wrap everything up.

Regards,
sga2
post #19 of 38 Old 06-17-11, 10:17 AM
Senior Shackster
Adam

I just re-watched this will the full surround sound system and a couple of the guys over. Not television speakers this time.

One word.

WOW!

When the coast gets attacked and the helicopter is being shot at in the sky, i felt the room move with the AA fire. The couch lifted as if the impact of the shot was so close it felt like my room was the chopper. It was like a wave of pure pressure. This is definitely a new reference Low bass movie for myself and my friends. Another thing i noted was careful details in the sound, such as 3 bullets shot, 3 shells fall. No canned explosion sounds or gunshots. The surrounds got a really nice workout too, very fluid in the firefights, when the camera shifts, the sound shifts, it puts you right into the action.

Having seen the movie before, I was able to focus on all the nitty-gritty details. There were a couple of speech errors. like when the tech sergeant gets called staff sergeant, and when one of the soldiers says "extra-territorial" <- seriously??

Video: A
Sound: A+
Overall: A

Once again, I love this movie.
post #20 of 38 Old 06-19-11, 12:08 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Another one that I really wanted to like much more than I did.
As a popcorn flick it was fun and entertaining, though as a Marine I could pick nits all day. As a way to showcase your home theater it was great. I don't have a problem with the fantasy or suspension of disbelief... my biggest issue with the film is that I just don't care about the people in it. Pretty much my same complaint with True Grit, there was just nothing in either film to get me engaged with any of the characters.

Mark