Battle: Los Angeles - Blu-Ray Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 38 Old 06-19-11, 10:31 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Battle: Los Angeles - Blu-Ray Review

I am right there with you Mark... I just did not connect to the characters. Aaron Eckhart is not one of my favorite actors and they wrote him in to be a bit too "obviously" humble. Other than Michelle Rodriguez, I did not recognize anyone else... and no one impressed me with their acting. The movie itself... ehhh... it was okay. The video was okay... the sound was better, although nothing nearly as good as Cloverfield. It was better than Monsters, better than District 9... on par with Skyline, but still lacking as an all out "aliens attack the earth" movie. I give it 2.5... maybe 3 stars.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 06-19-11, 11:27 AM
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I am right there with you Mark... I just did not connect to the characters. Aaron Eckhart is not one of my favorite actors and they wrote him in to be a bit too "obviously" humble. Other than Michelle Rodriguez, I did not recognize anyone else... and no one impressed me with their acting. The movie itself... ehhh... it was okay. The video was okay... the sound was better, although nothing nearly as good as Cloverfield. It was better than Monsters, better than District 9... on par with Skyline, but still lacking as an all out "aliens attack the earth" movie. I give it 2.5... maybe 3 stars.

I think it's interesting how everyone has a different take on the acting, I personally found it a bit trite at times, but overall very enjoyable.

That said Sonnie, I strongly disagree with your comparison to Cloverfield. There is absolutely no comparison between the PQ on this and Cloverfield, Battle: LA is superior in almost every way: better fine detail, better clarity, better shadow detail, and certainly much better razor sharp focus. Cloverfield's PQ is middling at best, I'd give the PQ on Cloverfield , maybe .

Sound wise, Cloverfield does have "more" LFE content, but the mix quality and positioning in Battle: LA is just better IMO. Cloverfield has a lot of ridiculous ultra-low bass that really makes your subs show off, but if you have subs capable of being articulate, Battle LA is really just in another league. Cloverfield would get a for bass content and really demo-like content, but for quality of the bass and atmospheric sound design, Battle LA would get a for quantity but a for quality. All IMHO of course.

Edit: I should clarify that I've watched Battle: LA in an IMAX, with Paradigm Studio series speakers (and a SUB15) at home here, and in a regular commercial auditorium - I think that a sealed, highly articulate sub really makes the case for the LFE content in this one, if you can't detect just how awesome those distant explosions and artillery shell impacts are, you can't appreciate the fidelity of this mix.

Res non sententia.

Last edited by Dave Upton; 06-19-11 at 11:32 AM.
post #23 of 38 Old 06-19-11, 01:24 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

To clarify my comments... I was not comparing PQ to Cloverfield. PQ on Cloverfield would be horrendous in my book. Sound wise... I was referring more to the LFE, and based on comments about how good the LFE was. Cloverfield is my reference for LFE movies... there is none better. If want to show off the bass in my system... I would certainly not entertain inserting this movie. There are too many that are much better IMO.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #24 of 38 Old 06-19-11, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Funny how we all have so much in common yet our opinions are so different. Being a fan of Japanese Godzilla movies, I loved Cloverfield and think the LFE is off the chart however; it's never been one that I use to show off my system. I usually use War of the Worlds for that, but I am growing tired of the emergence scene from WotW so maybe I'll throw in Cloverfield and find a good scene to replace it with.

I Really enjoyed Battle Los Angeles and thought that the overall sound was magnificent and will definitely insert the freeway battle and/or the final battle into my lineup to show off my system. As for the movie itself, I stand behind what I said in the review. It is, IMO, the best action oriented alien invasion movie I have ever seen and light years ahead of Skyline, which I personally thought was absolutely wretched. There is actually an interesting story behind Skyline; Google (Skyline Battle Los Angeles Lawsuit) and read what comes back. Apparently the brothers that made Skyline were doing the effects for Battle Los Angeles while shooting their movie secretly. Sony had a real issue with the brothers releasing Skyline with Universal only months before Battle LA.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
post #25 of 38 Old 06-20-11, 07:11 AM
Senior Shackster

I liked the movie for what is was flaws and all. The quip was great yet the Blu-ray video did not stand out as expected. From a 20 year military veteran aspect the platoon sgt. Was too mild. I would have expected him to retire as an E7, Gunnery Sgt.
post #26 of 38 Old 06-29-11, 08:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Steffen

I was super excited about this movie but upon seeing it in Theaters I wasn't really too thrilled. I thought the story was kind of lacking and the visuals weren't really the best. Explosions looked far too fake and aside from Eckhart, the action was not really that great. A friend and I went to see that and we are both fans of Eckhart and Rodriguez, and of course alien movies but we both left the theater saying, "eh, it was all right". I do agree that the critics were a little too harsh on the reviews, but I think they could've done much better with this movie.

Steffen Harris
www.steffenharris.com
"A photograph is like the recipe - a memory the finished dish"
post #27 of 38 Old 07-05-11, 05:57 PM
Shackster
Dave

Dale,

Thanks for the review. I waited to see this until I could get the blue-ray and view it on my system. Sounds like it will be a gas on my M&K system (pre-2007) quite nicely. Time to alert the neighbors!!

Dave
post #28 of 38 Old 07-05-11, 07:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Drumzerbe wrote: View Post
Dale,

Thanks for the review. I waited to see this until I could get the blue-ray and view it on my system. Sounds like it will be a gas on my M&K system (pre-2007) quite nicely. Time to alert the neighbors!!

Dave
Dave,
I rock the neighborhood with my 2006 era Infinity's during the day whenever I play a special movie or concert
post #29 of 38 Old 07-06-11, 10:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Ok Dale, I have put this off long enough, I HAVE to pick up this disc tomorrow and watch it. The gauntlet has been thrown down. In college long ago I took one of Eberts classes and have been a follower of his ever since. I do not always agree with him and I dont care as we are in fact different people. But in film class I did learn that one must go for what pleases oneself and to the dogs with everyone else. Some of my favorite movies are panned regularly and that is cool, I am not offended by that any longer, I guess that is called growing up. The point is, I read Rogers review before Dale's and put this on the back burner. It is now on the buy it tomorrow or die burner. I have wasted more money on bad booze than I will on the disc and if I dont like it, I can give it to someone who does.

Thanks for the review Dale, I do not have the gear you do but I am sure I can approach a good enough approximation until my room is done about this time next year.

Onward and upward as they say. Will report back tomorrow.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #30 of 38 Old 07-07-11, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Well, I haven't had any formal film study/education. I started looking into that type of thing about 6 months ago, but I figured that I might become as jaded as some of the educated critics out there so I decided to stick to my opinions on the film and focus on the technical aspects of the AQ and PQ.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build