Battle: Los Angeles - Blu-Ray Review - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 38 Old 07-07-11, 08:16 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Battle: Los Angeles - Blu-Ray Review

Education does nothing for ones "Personal" tastes. Frankly, I am probably the lease jaded dude around as I am here to have fun and if there is a message to be had, even better.
Film/Movies are a means to another world, one where most of us cannot live and looking into that world is a very personal journey. There seems to be things that most of us like and some things that most of us do not, and yet we will never always agree on so many issues because the experience is so personal. I kind of want to fall into a film, The Princess Bride does that for me, The Adjustment Bureau does that for me in a big way. Imagine it as a love story instead of a Phillip K. Dick mind bender and one is hooked to find The Perfect Love. Something many of us may not find. Look at it from another direction and we can find all sorts of faults. Again, lets just try to have some fun.
Now granted there are films that I think should be burned, Freddie Got Fingered being one, but hey thats me.

This is what makes reading other reviews so cool, is the different takes we have on things.
Today I will buy a copy of this movie, without a side of jade.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-08-11, 06:03 PM
Senior Shackster
SGA

I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable. Probably not something I'll go out of my way to watch again, but it wass a good sci-fi action flick and I did not feel cheated out of the 2 hours I spent watching it.

sga2
post #33 of 38 Old 07-08-11, 11:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I dont know who this Dale guy is but dang he was right on when it came to this movie. What a good silly movie. I had a blast from beginning to end, and for once, there were times when I was actually on the edge of my seat. At first I was thinking a live first person shooter movie but it is much more than that. I cannot imagine more stuff happening in a movie not to mention have more things fly by my head in my own private little room. I am still thinking the next time I watch this film, and I will watch it again, I believe I will wear a kevlar vest. There were times when the machine gun report literally pounded my chest repeatedly. Not always mind you, just the big ones and the sound pretty much fit the weapon being used. I was not prepared to enjoy this movie but in fact I loved it. Highly recommended.

I do have just a bit of a point in that it is my humble belief that the new Tron had a few scenes that easily matched or bettered this film in my room, but overall for audio and video, this movie wins.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #34 of 38 Old 07-13-11, 07:57 AM

Great review Dale!
post #35 of 38 Old 07-15-11, 11:55 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Nice review!

Battle: LA is now going to be used as one of my demo scenes. I can't wait until I get my BenQ 6000 in so I can see the major upgrade to 1080p that I have been postponing.

Overall, I still prefer TRON for demoing my system to non-HT enthusiasts. The incessant bass, the activity in all channels, and the amazing visuals make for amazing demo material for people that don't experience a HT or a great sound system that much.

I thought Battle:LA made AMAZING use of the surrounds. Probably the best I've heard since I started getting into this. The picture quality is right up there with Avatar like you mentioned.

After Tron and Avatar, this is probably the first non-digitized (what am I trying to say here) movie where you seem to have a lot more real scenes where the video quality was phenomenal.

And yes the District 9 ship that apparently made its way into the movie was funny, that is exactly what I was thinking when it started taking off at the end.

Can't wait to watch this in my basement in 1080p, same with TRON and AVATAR.
post #36 of 38 Old 08-31-11, 11:43 PM
Shackster
Steve

Watched it at the theaters and knew I would purchase it when it came out. Great movie! Great weapon action with minimal harsh language.
post #37 of 38 Old 09-05-11, 08:38 AM
Shackster

My wife and I watched this and enjoyed it very much. We just started putting our system together, only have the fronts and center. She thought it sounded great and that's all that matters. If wifey ain't happy nobody happy.
post #38 of 38 Old 10-19-11, 01:29 PM
Shackster
Dave

Hi Dale,

Posted three months ago and finally just watched it today. Watched in a house devoid of family and at reference level on my Denon 5803 and M&K S150 set up with an M&K Mx 350 MKii sub. Finished five minutes ago. Absolutely, as you said!!! This movie was killing and is my new system demo Blue Ray. Thanks again for the review!!

Last edited by Drumzerbe; 10-21-11 at 07:04 AM.