The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Editions) - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 07-08-11, 07:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Editions) - Blu-ray Review

Thank you for the compliment on my room, it's been a slow process and I'm always lookin to make changes. The jeff vader comment is actually a joke based on an Eddie izzard routine. If you get a chance, go to YouTube and search jeff vader death star cantina.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 07-08-11, 08:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Derek

My System
Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Editions) - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
Thank you for the compliment on my room, it's been a slow process and I'm always lookin to make changes. The jeff vader comment is actually a joke based on an Eddie izzard routine. If you get a chance, go to YouTube and search jeff vader death star cantina.
Sorry... I can be kinda slow sometimes... I will look it up!...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

The Overlook Theater - Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-22-11, 10:34 AM
Shackster
kstich

My System

Great review. I have always loved the films and books, but never saw the extended versions before. Guess it's time to buy the trilogy and start my marathon.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-24-11, 04:18 PM
Shackster

The color timing in FOTR bothered enough to post here. I loved the EE story but couldn't get past how "dull" it looked compared to theatrical release.

I hope the other 2 are better.

Edit: the other 2 where very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed them

Last edited by tonydp; 08-04-11 at 01:08 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-01-11, 06:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Apologies for being late to the party, but excellent review and thanks for taking the time to do it well. This series is without question the seed that started my desire for a home theater. I finally got my copy and look forward to putting in some marathon watching.

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #16 of 22 Old 09-06-11, 02:21 AM
Shackster
AV37

Quote:
tonydp wrote: View Post
The color timing in FOTR bothered enough to post here. I loved the EE story but couldn't get past how "dull" it looked compared to theatrical release.

I hope the other 2 are better.

Edit: the other 2 where very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed them
So, the only one that they did try to remaster with 2K original is worse than the rest (TTT and RTK) that wasn't coming from 2k original? I originally want to get that, but now have to rethink if I should wait for the "final" release..
post #17 of 22 Old 09-06-11, 05:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Though not mentioned in the review: I was disappointed that Jackson and company did not manage to fit these into a single Bluray-per-movie. I understood the space constraints on the DVDs relative to picture quality; but even with the higher needs of HD, the BD's would have seemed large enough.

I think I must, to some extent, disagree with the Weta praise. Not that I don't believe Weta deserves praise: just not as much as it gets. Even watching the movie in the theater at first release: there were many FX issues that stood out; particularly in regards to CGI textures. (note, for example, the massive improvement in Oliphant textures between TT and RotK. This is because a FX company in Canada saw TT, said "we can do better" and phoned up Jackson (this is detailed in the behind-the-sceens). The false-light effects (such as Gandalf's staff when the fellowship is first enombed in Moria) is another bit that reminds me it's a (less than ideally done) SFX shot and brings me out of the movie.

Then there's some of the model work and the hit-or-miss integration of model and CGI (love Treebeard, hate Fangorn).

But I fear I digress into a critique, not of the BD, but of the movie itself; though in fairness responding to a comment in the review. Futher: what Weta pulled off with their mass-army software, and their work with Gollum, and their general work at dealing with the size-difference in the characters (occasionally bad, such as during Pippin and Merry's escape from the Orcs, but usually excellent)(though often done with practical effects and so not Weta) is outstanding.

I agree with the compliments to picture and sound quality. Honestly: the only thing I miss from the DVD releases is the cool box.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-07-11, 12:45 PM
Shackster

Johnny

The best Movie trilogy ever....IMO....read the books as child and never looked back....been a fan ever since...
post #19 of 22 Old 10-10-11, 08:08 AM
Shackster

By far this series is in my top two ever (behind Star Wars). I loved how the story seemed to make even more sense by adding all the cut footage, it just seemed to flow so much better. I thought the visuals were amazing and the audio was awesome (that may have been because I just upgraded my system). This extended edition Blu-Ray version is a must have for all LOTR fans.

Pioneer Elite SC-35 * Polk Audio CS-20 Center * Polk Audio RC-85s for FL and FR * Polk Audio RC-80s for RL and RR * PS3 * Xbox 360 * Sony Blu-Ray Player * Nintendo Wii * Directv HD DVR * Samsung TV Link Stick * Apple Ipod
post #20 of 22 Old 03-30-12, 07:22 AM
Senior Shackster

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended version) is probably my favorite series of movies ever, but I especially connected with Fellowship of the Ring. I've probably watched these movies at least a couple dozen times, so I purchased this latest blu-ray edition for under $50 and don't regret buying it at all, even with that bit of green tint that many are complaining about on the first movie.

Thanks for the review, Dave!

oz