Thor - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 29 Old 09-14-11, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Re: Thor - Blu-Ray Review

Normally I would use the PS3 but I moved it downstairs temporarily and am using the Panasonic for now. I'll check it out though and see what my results are.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 09-14-11, 09:39 PM
Shackster

My System
Great review,Dale --- I didn't know this was released already ...now back again to 'best buy'. ( new dream theater yesterday)
post #13 of 29 Old 09-14-11, 09:41 PM
Shackster
CTrain

I would appreciate that. The only difference I am aware of between my two players is, my PS3 is doing PCM, while my bluray player is bit streaming.
post #14 of 29 Old 09-14-11, 10:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Man, I thought I would be able to get to the store to pick this one up today, but that didn't happen. Ah well, I'll have to pick this one up tomorrow then...

As far as the PCM through PS3, I have never been fond of it. I don't want to start an argument, but bitstreaming and letting my Pre/Pro handle the processing it sounds much better than PCM from a PS3. Just my 2 cents.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #15 of 29 Old 09-15-11, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Quote:
Trizzly wrote: View Post
I would appreciate that. The only difference I am aware of between my two players is, my PS3 is doing PCM, while my bluray player is bit streaming.
I did check it out and my PS3 sounds as good as the Bluray, but I am also bitstreaming to the 3007. Is your PS3 one of the older ones that can't bitstream the HD codecs?

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Shiva 12" Build
post #16 of 29 Old 09-15-11, 01:18 PM
Shackster
CTrain

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote:

I did check it out and my PS3 sounds as good as the Bluray, but I am also bitstreaming to the 3007. Is your PS3 one of the older ones that can't bitstream the HD codecs?
No, it's the slim version. I guess I will try making it bistream and see what happens.
post #17 of 29 Old 09-16-11, 08:18 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Rented it last night and really enjoyed it. THOR was much better then expected. The audio and LFE was ridiculous and I agree with Dales 5 star score. I have to watch it again as I missed the video glitch that Dale referred to. This is a definite buy for me. Great review Dale.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #18 of 29 Old 09-16-11, 04:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

I watched this last night and definitely enjoyed it thoroughly, however I think I enjoyed X-Men: First Class just a tad bit more. Different kind of comic book movies, both are very good for what they are. Thunderous sound mix that will be a demo disc for sure!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #19 of 29 Old 09-16-11, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
I watched this last night and definitely enjoyed it thoroughly, however I think I enjoyed X-Men: First Class just a tad bit more. Different kind of comic book movies, both are very good for what they are. Thunderous sound mix that will be a demo disc for sure!!
Agreed Jon, I enjoyed X-Men as a movie a little more as well and I thought the PQ was a little better as well... But the sound was all Thor!!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

Shiva 12" Build
post #20 of 29 Old 09-17-11, 09:29 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Dwight Angus wrote: View Post
Rented it last night and really enjoyed it. THOR was much better then expected. The audio and LFE was ridiculous and I agree with Dales 5 star score. I have to watch it again as I missed the video glitch that Dale referred to. This is a definite buy for me. Great review Dale.
Exactly! This movie is very enjoyable to watch, both in terms of BD video quality and story. There were two things that kind of struck myself and my wife: The first was when Thor and his friends head off to do battle; there seemed like there was not enough drama at that moment, no seriousness to the actions. I realize that's part of what made him who he is (not quite grown up yet); but just felt like it could have used a bit more drama.

The second, which is in no way directed to the movie, was that these guys travel thru space on a beam of light but uses axes and bladed weapons. What happens if they were ever shot with a bullet - which never really happens...? It's a story and we left it at that, but did not take away from the movie in any way.

The audio was all the way.

In the end, both myself and my wife enjoyed this movie.