Puss In Boots - Blu-ray Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 31 Old 02-28-12, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System
Puss In Boots - Blu-ray Review

Title: Puss In Boots
Starring: Antonio Banderas, Selma Hayek, Zach Galifianakis, Billy Bob Thorton, Amy Sedaris, Constance Marie
Directed by: Chris Miller
Written by: Charles Perrault, William Davies, Bryan Lynch, David Steinberg, Tom Wheeler, Jon Zack
Studio: Dreamworks SKG
Rated: PG
Runtime: 90 Minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: February 24, 2012

Movie:
Video:
Audio:
Extras:

HTS Overall Score:86

***** See note at the bottom of this review for your chance to win a Blu-ray copy of this movie.

Summary:

‘Puss in Boots’ is a spinoff from the ‘Shrek’ franchise that takes a lovable cat introduced in ‘Shrek 2’ and attempts to make its own movie. How does this cat fair on its own? Surprisingly well. While it is not quite as good as maybe the first ‘Shrek’, I enjoyed this one as much as I enjoyed the 2nd and 4th installments. In fact, there were a handful of times during this movie that I found myself laughing out loud. What’s not to love from an adorable sword-wielding cat who wears tiny boots and hat? Well, if they only banked on the cat and omitted a plausible story, this film would’ve failed miserably.

Keeping with the fairytale theme in the ‘Shrek’ movies, ‘Puss in Boots’ intertwines multiple fairy tales into an unexpected story that follows Humpty Dumpty (Galifianakis) and Puss (Banderas) in their adventure to find the magical bean from the story Jack and the Beanstalk. The two unlikely friends dream of one day climbing the beanstalk to find the goose that lays the golden eggs. During their search for the legendary beans, Puss and Humpty come across Jack (Thorton) and Jill (Sedaris), who happen to be in possession of these beans. Jack and Jill are not the ordinary simpletons who simply went to fetch a pail of water, rather they more appropriately represent a tyrannous duo in this movie, not unlike Bonnie and Clyde. Puss also crosses paths with another cat, named Kitty Softpaws (Hayek) who aids the two in their adventure to obtain the magic beans.

As I followed this trio's adventure I was taken for a thrill ride that really put me through a range of emotions that connected with each of the characters in their own individual ways. Though the story is somewhat predicable, I did not find myself minding much and still enjoyed the experience thoroughly. When it came time for the ending credits to roll, I was left feeling thoroughly satisfied by this film.

Rating: PG for some adventure action and mild rude humor

Video:

'Puss in Boots' comes to blu-ray with a direct-to-digital video transfer that is stunning to look at. As with all the latest computer animations, detail is impeccable. There is nary a flaw to this print and there are sequences in this film that will surely impress enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike. Contrast is perfect and color reproduction is flawless as well. There are plenty of dark sequences that show off every minute detail scattered through each scene that would be otherwise hidden by a less-than-perfect black level.

So, why is it not a perfect score? It looks well enough to be a reference title by any account, however I cannot in good conscience give it a perfect score. I might be harder on this grading than I would normally, but I have been spoiled by 'Rango'. Ever since that released on blu-ray, I have crowned that as my go-to reference CG film. If there ever was a perfect example of computer animation at its finest, 'Rango' is it. Back to 'Puss in Boots' it is perfect, but it just lacks the same overall jaw-dropping experience.

Audio:

The audio portion is fantastic as well. It’s not a constant aural assault on the listener, but it has a solid amount of surround activity. There is plenty of discrete surround usage throughout the length of the film, as well as a constant active array of ambiance. One of the more impressive portions of the sound is the musical score. The upbeat Spanish-influenced music really provides a sense of excitement to the overall sound. The clarity and expansiveness of the music also adds to the intensity and urgency of the sound. Dialog is crystal clear throughout the film even during many of the heightened action sequences. Low frequency activity is also used a surprising amount, especially as the action ramps up in the 2nd half of the movie. Overall, this is one solid audio mix that will satisfy all sorts of audio enthusiasts. Dolby has also has an interesting interview regarding the audio in this movie:

Extras:

• ‘Puss in Boots: The Three Diablos’ - animated short
• Purr-fect Pairing: The Voice Behind The Legend - featurette
• 3 Deleted Scenes
• Kitten to Cat - featurette
• Glitter Box Dance Off! - dance video tutorial
• Klepto Kitty - featurette
• Kitty Keyboard - featurette
• Fairytale Pop-Up Book - interactive pop-up book
• Kitty Strikes Again - interactive games
• Puss’ Paw Pouncing Challenge - game

Overall:

I was pleasantly surprised by ‘Puss in Boots’. The story was engaging and all the characters were thoroughly entertaining. I didn’t have high expectations because most spin-off movies don’t fare very well, overall. This movie, however, has proven itself to be a worthwhile standalone franchise and I am curious to see if they continue to make anymore of these movies. The video transfer is nothing short of perfection, although not quite what I would consider reference. The audio mix, as well as the immersive music, is a delight to listen to. Overall, I think this is a great addition to Dreamwork’s line of computer animated movies and I’m actually looking forward to watching this again.

Recommendation: Watch this movie!

Official Blu-Ray Reviews Scoring

***** Want to win a Blu-ray copy of Puss In Boots? Simply post in this thread and you are automatically entered in a drawing that will be held at the end of March 2012.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Last edited by Jon Liu; 02-29-12 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-29-12, 11:02 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
re: Puss In Boots - Blu-ray Review (Win a copy of this Blu-ray Movie!)

Thanks Jon for the review!

Spot on - not quite Shrek 1 but definitely as good as 2 & 4 (3 was quite bad IMO).
post #3 of 31 Old 02-29-12, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Thanks. I'm really not sure what went wrong with Shrek the Third...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #4 of 31 Old 02-29-12, 01:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Nice review! I actually just watched it last night.

Not a bad movie overall.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-03-12, 12:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System
Re: Puss In Boots - Blu-ray Review (Win a copy of this Blu-ray Movie!)

Haven't seen it, count me in.

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-03-12, 01:45 PM
Shackster
Weed

My System

Guess I'll have to watch it after reading the review.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-03-12, 02:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
The wife and I watched this a few nights ago and enjoyed it. It had its moments for sure. Definately worth a rental though not sure if it's worthy of ownership.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-03-12, 04:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System

It's a movie that I haven't seen.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-06-12, 06:51 PM
Shackster

The trailer looked funny.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-06-12, 09:54 PM
Shackster
Chad

My System

My wife would love this