The Avengers - Blu-ray Review - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 85 Old 10-10-12, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
I finally got around to watching this movie and personally I thought it started off extremely slow and about fell asleep but after a little and started to pick up and thought it was good not great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 Old 10-11-12, 08:47 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: The Avengers - Blu-ray Review

Found the movie thoroughly enjoyable. Very entertaining, with the exception of the LFE. The LFE could have been so much better, especially in light of the previous releases in the franchise like Iron Man (IM) and especially The Incredible Hulk (TIH) with Edward Norton. The LFE in those movies is powerful AND deep. Avengers unfortunately, got the Thor treatment with a filter with a fairly steep rolloff below 30Hz. If your system rolls off below 25Hz, you wouldn't notice a thing, if your system will play down into single digits, there's a HUGE difference between the bass in Avengers vs. the bass in movies like TIH, War Of The Worlds (WOTW), How To Train Your Dragon (HTTYD) etc.

Max
post #43 of 85 Old 10-11-12, 09:17 PM
Shackster

Sorry to be stupid, but what is LFE?
post #44 of 85 Old 10-11-12, 09:26 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
mozilla314 wrote: View Post
Sorry to be stupid, but what is LFE?
LFE = Low Frequency Effects aka Bass

Max
post #45 of 85 Old 10-11-12, 11:31 PM
Shackster

Why can't we just say "bass"?
post #46 of 85 Old 10-11-12, 11:45 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
mozilla314 wrote: View Post
Why can't we just say "bass"?
Well, there are several octaves that encompass what folks usually think of as 'bass'.

Max
post #47 of 85 Old 10-12-12, 08:17 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

IMHO, this is by far the best super hero movie out there. Great special effects, good use of surrounds, bass was decent (not stellar), and I loved the comic relief. It was entertaining from the very start.

Last edited by Mike Edwards; 10-12-12 at 09:39 AM.
post #48 of 85 Old 10-13-12, 07:05 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

This is right up there with the Chris Nolan Batman franchise as the best Super Hero movies made. Really fun film that I am going to add to my collection and watch again soon.

As far as the bass is concerned my system will reach single digits with my arsenal of dual opposed subs. Even though this didn't hit the depths like WoW I thought the bass was great. There were a lot of segments in the movie were we said Wow when the bass just hit us hard. As a bass head I was very satisfied and had a good time.

Last edited by sub_crazy; 10-15-12 at 02:25 PM.
post #49 of 85 Old 10-15-12, 02:20 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I finally got around to watching this on DVD since seeing it in the theaters way back when. I love the scenes where they are all together chatting with each other, in fact there was a line or two that I missed the first time I saw it.

This is a kind of universal superhero movie that just about anyone can enjoy, most of the other Marvell movies and The Dark Knight series have a much narrower audience. Marvell deserves a standing O for their work with this film, let’s hope they can duplicate it in 2015 for The Avengers 2.

Now what they don't deserve accolades for is the audio. I'm not saying it was bad, in fact it was pretty good, but they neutered most of the content below 30hz. This could have been reference material, it could have been a demo for many a HT enthusiast, instead it's a great movie with audio that is less enjoyable than any of the other movies in the series.

Why did they do it? Who knows, but at least what they did get right they really got right.
post #50 of 85 Old 10-15-12, 08:26 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Infrasonic wrote: View Post
I finally got around to watching this on DVD since seeing it in the theaters way back when. I love the scenes where they are all together BSing with each other, in fact there was a line or two that I missed the first time I saw it.

This is a kind of universal superhero movie that just about anyone can enjoy, most of the other Marvell movies and The Dark Knight series have a much narrower audience. Marvell deserves a standing O for their work with this film, letís hope they can duplicate it in 2015 for The Avengers 2.

Now what they don't deserve accolades for is the audio. I'm not saying it was bad, in fact it was pretty good, but they neutered most of the content below 30hz. This could have been reference material, it could have been a demo for many a HT enthusiast, instead it's a great movie with audio that is less enjoyable than any of the other movies in the series.

Why did they do it? Who knows, but at least what they did get right they really got right.
Insider info says they blew a few subs in the studio while mixing Avengers. Maybe that's why they put the filter in place. Then again, Thor shows similar filtering below 30Hz.

Max