Prometheus - Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 65 Old 10-22-12, 02:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Thumbs up Re: Prometheus - Blu-ray Review

I watched this on BR with my wife on Saturday. She used to love the Alien movies but that was before we had kids. Me, not so much. In fact, I don't think I've even seen them all.

Prometheus found us in a complete role reversal. I loved it and my wife hated it! We both agree that the plot was good but she just can't handle the gruesome stuff any more while I was loving every second of it. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it so much had she not been clinging to me throughout.

I agree completely Peter's 5 star video rating. We watched it with an Epson 8500UB hitting a 137" BoC screen and it was simply amazing. And that was with the lights on low (see above).

Unfortunately, (or fortunately) we were unable to turn it up the sound much while the kids were asleep and I think we missed out on a lot of detail as a result. I can attest to the dialog being clear though... when watching movies and TV we frequently have to re-watch parts over and over to understand what was said. In Prometheus we didn't do that even once.

Overall I'm glad I watched this. I kinda wish I would have rented it instead of buying it, but then again... I've already had a number of requests from friends to come over and watch it on our screen.

Theatre Build: Portland Place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 10-22-12, 08:18 PM
Shackster

John

My System
Re: Prometheus - Blu-ray Review

Great review Peter. Saw this in the theater and couldn't wait to own it and watch it on my system. Still haven't watched it at home yet because I painted the living room/home theater this past week and just finished hooking everything up yesterday. Plan on watching this weekend with some friends.
post #33 of 65 Old 10-23-12, 12:40 PM
Shackster

Tim

Awesome movie if you are into the sci-fi genre.

Onkyo TX-NR809
Crown Audio XLS-1500:
-1 Bridged-mono Center
-1 Stereo L/R Font
Sony BDP-S550
Polk Audio TSi 500 - L/R
Polk Audio TSi CS20 - C
Polk Audio Monitor50 - SR/SL
JBL J2080 - SBR/SBL
2 x SVS PB13-ULTRA
post #34 of 65 Old 10-24-12, 10:49 AM
exm
Shackster

I loved this movie in the theater. Can't wait to pick up the BR!
post #35 of 65 Old 10-24-12, 12:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

Prometheus is quite the flick. After I got past the hype - and the first-day glitches pertaining to copy protection keys and firmware/software updates - I found it to be a thoroughly entertaining, slightly cheesy sci-fi romp. This is no 2001: Space Odyssey and it's likely no sci-fi will ever be as faithful to 'reality' as Kubrick's masterpiece... but it's one of the comparisons that was made with Prometheus and it's a burden this fine movie will have to carry.

The primary pleasure of Alien is the same as it is in Prometheus - an H.R. Giger set that looks fantastic and sets the stage for the action that follows. In 3D Giger's work really stands out - I feel he's one of the great artists/painters of the late 20'th century and Prometheus showed me what I always wanted to see. So I'm happy with what it ended up being - a bit popcorn with just enough philosophy thrown in to make it real sci-fi and not just space fantasy.

From a technical point of view the movie looked and sounded tremendous - good enough for a home theater demo.

Last edited by Dub King; 10-24-12 at 01:43 PM.
post #36 of 65 Old 10-24-12, 03:23 PM
Shackster

Jay (aka:the Weasel)

I have been holding off on watching any movies since I just built my new mains and surrounds a few weeks ago. This week I finished my sub and I'm almost finished with my new center.
I have a new receiver about a week out. Once everything is all setup and ready to go I think Prometheous will be what I watch.

- The RSS390HO End Table Build -

~ I may be a noob, but I'm a noob with a casue.
post #37 of 65 Old 10-24-12, 03:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

That's awesome because Prometheus served the same purpose for me, literally I wrapped up calibrating my newly-constructed mains (with REW of course) a few weeks ago, just in time for my 41'st bday and for the release of Prometheus on 3D Blu Ray. I was not let down, and since I had already watched the iTunes version it was quite clear how much the 3D Blu Ray improved the viewing experience. Prometheus really deserves the full HiFi HD treament.

Quote:
WoodHammer wrote: View Post
I have been holding off on watching any movies since I just built my new mains and surrounds a few weeks ago. This week I finished my sub and I'm almost finished with my new center.
I have a new receiver about a week out. Once everything is all setup and ready to go I think Prometheous will be what I watch.
post #38 of 65 Old 10-31-12, 07:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Loved Prometheus!! I'm a fan!!!
post #39 of 65 Old 11-06-12, 01:29 PM
Shackster

Tried watching Prometheus the W/E to see how my new SB13-Ultra sounds. No -go!

Both my Pioneer players failed with playing this Blu-ray. I may have to run upstairs to the bedroom system to unplug my old Sony (where it seems to work) to use it on my HT.

I called Pioneer this morning and they told me they are working on a fix, but no ETA on the software up-date.
post #40 of 65 Old 11-06-12, 02:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

My wife and I enjoyed cranking up the home theater and watching this. There are some serious LFE in this movie that my sub loved.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~