Prometheus - Blu-ray Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

piotrmb

My System
Prometheus - Blu-ray Review

Title: Prometheus
Starring: Noomi Rapace, Logan Marshall Green, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Guy Pierce, Charlize Theron
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Written by: Jon Spaihts, Damon Lindelof
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 AVC
Main Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HD MA
Studio: Twentieth 20th Century Fox
Rated: R
Runtime: 124 min
Blu-ray Release Date: October 9 2012

Movie
Video
Audio
Extras
HTS Overall Score:

Movie:

I am fascinated with movies that delve into and explore the origin of humanity and the trailer for Prometheus teased me with notions of the genesis of the human species and left me feeling giddy and with goose bumps. For those wondering the story in Prometheus takes place before the events in Ridley Scott’s classis and chilling masterpiece Alien (1979), but the movie isn’t directly linked to the Alien Quadrilogy.

The opening sequence in Prometheus shows an alien being (looking like a living buff sculpture from the Renaissance) walking to the edge of a thundering waterfall, disrobing, and ingesting a small cup of black goo as a disc shaped craft hovers above. Moments after the alien being or “Engineer”, as his species will later come to be called, starts to disintegrate eventually falling over into the water where the body completely dissolves. The genetic material is spread downstream with its purpose (we assume) to seed what we presume to be Earth. It’s an immensely captivating scene that immediately poses questions that are sure to start riveting and heated discussions.

Fast-forward an untold amount of time to 2089 to the Isle of Skye, Scotland where two anthropologists/scientists, Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Marshall Green) are excavating. Shaw uncovers the entrance to a cave where on the wall a rudimentary image is painted of a being, possibly an Engineer, pointing upward to what could be planets. The image as it happens has turned up all over the world dated to different civilizations, but none of the civilizations were ever in contact with one another. Shaw believes the paintings are an “invitation” of sorts and that whoever put them there wants company. The arrangement of planets or stars is deciphered as a location in space, or rather a planet and soon backed by billionaire Peter Weyland (Pierce) a group of scientists from pertinent fields, including Shaw and Holloway are all aboard the Scientific Exploratory Vessel “Prometheus” traveling to where they hope to get answers.

Captained by Janek (Elba), but with the real leader of the expedition being a Weyland Corp. employee named Meredith Vickers (Theron), it takes Prometheus two years to travel to the outskirts of the suspect planet, during which time the crew has been in suspended sleep and the ship partly manned by the robot David (Fassbender). After David wakes them up, Janek lands the ship onto the surface and the scientists waste no time in suiting up and in special vehicles drive to what looks like a manmade structure.

Their exploration of the numerous curved hallways leads to different finds, all of which are a mystery in their purpose. David on the other hand seems to know a bit more about what they’ve discovered, but has his own agenda, one he plans to keep to himself.

The ultimate goal of the mission for the scientists, in particular Shaw, is to delve into the origins of man and how it was that humans were created. Prometheus questions Creationism and suggests that humans were designed by a higher physical intelligence and Shaw thinks that if that’s the case, who created the creators?

It’s a slow burn for a while as the movie sets up the new mythology, but I was glued to the screen the entire time; I knew the wait would be worth it. The visuals are fantastic and this movie deserves to be watched on the biggest screen you can muster up. The planet they land on is so curious, breathtaking and begs to be explored. The imagery is creepy and really engrossing and the alien technology isn’t over the top science fiction, but actually beautiful; I just wanted more and more explained.

The chosen cast does a great job with the script and like in other films Fassbender just kills it as the robot David. Rapace is tough and rugged as a dedicated inquisitive scientist. My only quibble on a whole is that some of the characters didn’t express enough emotion and awe pertaining to their situation. They’re on another world, which is amazing in itself, but they’re also making discoveries that could possibly and dramatically change humanity’s view on how it came to exist.

Prometheus is a movie that poses deep existential questions and takes a little time and patience to get into, but even the slower aspects are (to me) just as interesting and captivating. Once the movie picks up it sort of switches gears and the storyline slightly goes off tangent and there are some annoying plot holes, but overall I was really impressed by everything; I would have happily sat through a three hour cut.

Rated:

R for sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.

Audio

From the opening credits and the first establishing scene Prometheus is an aural delight. As the camera pans over the majestic landscape the beautiful score swells evoking emotions. The rapid movement of the water as it falls over the cliff is immersive and loud. The sub-woofer even at this early stage is already making itself known. As the ship Prometheus moves through space its huge engines make the room rumble. The inner workings of the ship like the sliding doors, the computerized announcements, the numerous bleeps are all incorporated nicely and prioritized. The directional effects are plenty; the mapping “pups” move from left to right with a noticeable presence, same goes for the holographic recordings David replays for the crew. The characters sound different within the safe confines of the ship and the unknown terrain within the lengthy seemingly human bored tunnels. As the incoming static and silica storm looms the low end bass incrementally loudens and fills the room with a sweeping sensation. Once the storm hits the cloud of danger sounds awesome. Prometheus pays attention to ever single sound on the soundtrack irrespective of the size and location on the priority scale. Monumental scenes are highlighted with loads of bass and a captivating score and even the lesser simpler scenes sound perfect.

Video

From the opening sequence of the loud imposing waterfall that simply pops out of the screen, Prometheus
is visually stunning. The reflections off of the vessel Prometheus look beautiful amidst the stellar sky. The lighting for the holographic maps used to gather information on the bridge has just the right amount of brightness and translucency. The seemingly endless caverns and tunnels the crew walk through are finely detailed on every instance. The suits the crew wears look great, especially the globe-like helmets and the glowing orange-lime light being emitted from within. Facial and clothing detail is superb. There are plenty of shades of black and all of them look natural and never devolve the picture. An approaching metallic dust storm looks awesome. The contrast between objects and flashlights and revolving indicator lights is perfect; the lighting in general and how it is used to enhance the moment is impressive. The overall clarity in Prometheus throughout is gorgeous; it has been a while since I have seen objects want to jump off the screen, almost 3D-like.

Extras

-Deleted and Alternate Scenes
-The Peter Weyland Files
-Commentary by Director/Producer Ridley Scott
-Commentary by Writer Jon Spaihts and Writer/Executive Producer Damon Lindelof
-Prometheus Mobile App

Overall:

Watching Prometheus is an experience on a grand scale. There haven’t been too many science fiction movies lately that offer up such a pleasantly overwhelming scope and jaw-dropping distinct style. I know the internet buzz after trailers became available was that Prometheus was going to be a terrifying xenomorph and facehugger filled direct prequel to Alien, and when the result wasn’t quite that haters dissed the movie, but believe me Prometheus is an absolute marvel of audio and video and worth a buy. I read that the 4-Disc Collector’s Edition has hours of documentary footage that answers many questions.

Buy Prometheus on Blu-ray at Amazon

Recommendation: Watch!
Watch the Official Trailer

Last edited by Mike Edwards; 02-01-13 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 08:22 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Prometheus - Blu-ray review

Sweet review. I missed this one on the big screen... they were showing it at the Uptown in Washington, DC. Been kicking myself for not seeing it there. Sounds like, though, I'm in for a real treat in my own house.

Thanks for the thoughtful review!
post #3 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 08:30 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Thanks for the review. The previews had me somewhat intrigued, but I just wasn't 100% sure. After reading your review, I think I might want to see it now.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #4 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 08:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I watched the 3D version of this movie last night at home and it is a home theater owners dream come true. Visually and aurally it is stunning.
I did not like the movie so much due to some holes in the plot and lapses in certain details, but I think I am one of the few. At the very least, this should be a MUST rent movie and most will like it a good deal better than I did.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #5 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 08:45 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Thanks for the review peter. I agree with the above poster. I had a LOT of problems with the script but the blu-ray itself is almost reference in all portions. one of the best releases feature wise in a LONG time
post #6 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 09:15 PM
Senior Shackster

I will be ordering this blu ray very soon. I am happy to hear this movie is reference material! Does anyone know if this movie is 5.1 or 7.1?
post #7 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 10:07 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Thanks for the review Peter! I ordered this one yesterday and hope to have it waiting for me when I get home!
post #8 of 65 Old 10-15-12, 10:19 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

7.1 DTS-HD MA
post #9 of 65 Old 10-16-12, 12:46 AM
Senior Shackster

Jim

My System

Thanks for the review Peter,I saw this in theatre and I'm sold on owning it
post #10 of 65 Old 10-16-12, 12:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Thanks for the review Peter. I would agree that the audio/video was absolutely stunning and while I enjoyed the movie the ending left me thinking they could have done better. I will be purchasing this one soon for the collection. Definitely worth another viewing.