The Amazing Spiderman - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 28 Old 11-13-12, 07:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Joe

We watched this over the weekend. The wife and kids all agreed it is far better then the other Spiderman movies. Will definitely be adding to the collection.

Thanks for providing these reviews. I always revert to them before purchasing or adding to my queue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 11-14-12, 06:20 PM
Senior Shackster

piotrmb

My System
Re: The Amazing Spiderman - Blu-ray Review

I'm not a fan of the Sam Raimi movies particularly because of the very weak CGI. Spider-man swinging from skyscraper to skyscraper and it looking good is integral for an enjoyable experience, and I just didn't get that from the trilogy.

I also think this reboot is too similar to the first movie. You could skip the first 45 minutes of The Amazing Spider-man and really not have missed anything.

Raimi directed his trilogy the way he wanted to and with its hits and misses it should have stayed a done deal; go onto a different character.
post #13 of 28 Old 11-14-12, 06:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

I really enjoyed this one and while I agree it had a lot of similarities, I thought there were enough differences to hold my interest. Plus, I really enjoyed Martin Sheen in the role of Uncle Ben as I thought he really added some depth to the relationship between Peter and Uncle Ben.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
post #14 of 28 Old 11-16-12, 09:49 AM
Shackster
Jason

Great review. I will be picking this up on black Friday since this along with some other really good titles are going to be only like 4-9 bucks. That is hard to beat. Thanks again.
post #15 of 28 Old 11-16-12, 12:01 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Anyone know if the rental version of this has DTS-HD? Or just Dolby Digital...??
post #16 of 28 Old 11-16-12, 12:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Joe

I am pretty sure my blockbuster blu-ray was the DTS-HD version. I never had a rental blu-ray that wasnt though.
post #17 of 28 Old 11-16-12, 12:22 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
musikpirate wrote: View Post
I am pretty sure my blockbuster blu-ray was the DTS-HD version. I never had a rental blu-ray that wasnt though.
I only ask because there have been a lot of reports recently (meaning internet fodder)... that movie houses are turning to this
post #18 of 28 Old 11-16-12, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Sony hasn't done that yet, they actually use retail discs, meaning ALL special features and audio tracks. right now only Lionsgate/Summit and Fox are doing the stripped down audio
post #19 of 28 Old 11-16-12, 03:18 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Thx Mike!
post #20 of 28 Old 11-17-12, 02:17 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I reserved this on redbox this morning... then, due to my general ho-hum interest in superhero movies, tried to cancel my reservation (which I couldn't do on my iphone app). So, I picked it up and decided to give it a try.

I am happy to say --- VERY glad I did.

I think Mike's review and the ensuing comments are spot-on -- FANTASTIC MOVIE.

I enjoyed the film's character development and the new spin on the spiderman story. Where most superhero movies lose me is the fantasy-land that some boldly travel into. I thought this movie struck a good balance between movie reality, the unreal that was presented in a way that you could convince yourself it's possible, and fantasy. I had mentioned in my response to the review of The Avengers that the recent Batman Triology held my attention because the story telling was done with fantasy but also with a strong attempt to make it seem possible (does that make sense?). I think this movie had a similar spin, minus the lizard situation.

At any rate, beautiful movie to watch. I liked the fact that it is a borderline movie in terms of violence (and definitely language) so that I can comfortable let my kids watch it... and the sound was spot-on!

Back to the Avengers... I threw-out-there that I was wasn't a huge fan of the LFEs in that movie. Mike, you had mentioned there were parts of this Spiderman Movie that you would have hoped for a little more umph. I can agree with that... but, I also thought it put a lot out there. The LFE associated with the thumping of helicopter blades or the lizard jumping on cars was all very dynamic and really gave the movie a nice flavor. I kind of appreciated that it didn't turn into a thunder-fest!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I just ordered a copy to permanently have in house!!

Mike, great review... and great comments on the movie everyone... this one is definitely a keeper!

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 11-17-12 at 07:00 PM.