The Expendables 2 - Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 27 Old 11-23-12, 02:22 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: The Expendables 2 - Blu-ray Review

I enjoyed the movie also but you really have to be in the mood for a cheeseball movie. There are also only two people in the movie who could deliver a line (Statham and Nan Yu). If it wasn't for the good audio and some chuckle worthy lines I would've thrown it out the window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 11-24-12, 03:09 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Finally got a chance to roll this one. Loads of guns and explosions. Great audio. Dialog is loud and crisp. Some great, dynamic, LFE in the score. A+ in the sound department.

I must say, the unevenness of the picture shot to shot (one minute VERY grainy, one minute crystal clear, one minute overly processed and waxy) detracted from the movie. Visually it was below average.

Story-wise, a good watch for action fans... Especially those of us old enough to have the 80's firmly in our back pocket ;-), but I don't think this sequel was as good as the first. I don't think I'll be keeping my copy. That being said, a fun watch and I encourage all fans of this genre to fire your system up and let it play with the Expendables 2!
post #23 of 27 Old 11-24-12, 08:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I had a slightly different reaction to this disc. I had a blast watching the movie, that much we can get out of the way, although, I think I liked the first one better.

Sonically it was good but something must be wrong in my room, the LFE was not in a league with many similar action movies released of late. I never had to try to figure out what was being said or where the boom boom was but it just seemed a bit reticent on the bottom end. Again, probably my system.

Visually, it was just all over the place. Yes it had the cool look of an action movie but going between the Doris Day look when zoomed in on Sly to the gritty clarity of a good BR on Dolph was quite brutal. I imagine there was more facial reconstruction surgery on the stars in this film than Phyllis Diller and Wayne Newton combined. The upside was everything was viewable, dark scenes as well as the well lit ones.

I had fun watching this movie, it just did not seem up to what we have come to expect from BR. Having said that my opinion may have been tainted a bit after having just seen Lawrence of Arabia the day before.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #24 of 27 Old 12-03-12, 10:38 AM
Shackster

Great pop-corn flick of an action movie. Just don't expect Oscar-caliber performances and storyline and you're good. Great exercise for the A/V system and a great adrenaline ride. Recommended.
post #25 of 27 Old 12-03-12, 11:09 AM
Shackster
CTrain

@ Savjac

Did you watch a rental or retail disc? I watched a rental from redbox, and it doesn't have the HD audio track. The LFE is almost non-existent for me on this rental. Sounds like we had a similar experience.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-03-12, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
Trizzly wrote: View Post
@ Savjac

Did you watch a rental or retail disc? I watched a rental from redbox, and it doesn't have the HD audio track. The LFE is almost non-existent for me on this rental. Sounds like we had a similar experience.
yeah, the rental discs being gimped is a BIG frustration for me lately. Lionsgate and Summit are the big offenders here. they don't just gimp the special features but gimp the audio as well. Universal has begun gimping the discs if they had an extended cut by having you only be able to choose the theatrical cut and have a little blurb that says "if you want to view the extended cut you must purchase the retail version" after you click on the "go to extended cut" button in the menu.

I make it a very special point to NEVER review a rental copy due to the gimping in a desire to make sure you guys are given the most accurate review I can
post #27 of 27 Old 12-05-12, 06:18 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I just got the time to finally read this review. You're a very talented writer, that was excellent.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite