Total Recall - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 48 Old 12-27-12, 10:03 PM
bill

Re: Total Recall - Blu-ray review

That was a great trailer and an even better review! Since there are only a handful of movies to pick from when I go to the Redbox, I started using Blockbuster at Home from DISH. And with over 100,000 different selections, I needed a way to narrow down all the amazing choices, so thanks for the great starting point. I have already seen the original, so the whole “which reality is real” thing is a little wasted on me. But like the action junkie I am, I have to see what they have done with CGI. The guys in my office at DISH said the chase scenes are epic. And from what I have read, so does everyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 12-29-12, 09:43 AM
Senior Shackster
Stew

Watched this last night and while I really enjoyed it, there was one aspect that was very annoying- and not sure if I can explain it.

Every few minutes, they had a "light beam" appear on the screen - usually traveling down the screen. If you've seen the movie you'll know what I mean, but I thought it was distracting.

I did like some of the homages they paid to the original - the three breasted lady, the fat red head going through security, etc.
post #13 of 48 Old 12-29-12, 09:45 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
It's called lens flare and it annoys the you know what out of me.
post #14 of 48 Old 12-31-12, 06:11 PM

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
It's called lens flare and it annoys the you know what out of me.
Yes. Seems like Len Wiseman ( the " Director " ) graduated from the SAME School of Superfluous Lens Flares as J.J. Abrams graduated from. Only non-talented bozos would think that shining a zenon light into a camera lens at acute angles would be creative.

While they made at least some sense in Star Trek, they make NO sense in Total Recall. They can be seen in completely dark rooms and hallways with no apparent light source off-camera.
post #15 of 48 Old 12-31-12, 07:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Not sure I would call JJ Abrams non talented but I don't understand the artistic characteristics they perceive using lens flare. Even Steven Spielberg employs it in his movies.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-02-13, 02:07 AM
Shackster

This will not make sense but I found the background to be dark and busy, somewhat distracting. I did enjoy the film though.
post #17 of 48 Old 01-03-13, 12:28 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I enjoyed the BluRay as well excpet for those annoying audoo drop outs. My BluRay actually froze up many times dueing the play and only a fast forward would cause it to move forward. I've replaced the BluRay but haven't had teh chance to watch it again to see I will experience the same kind of issues. I've never had issues with BluRays before and even the firmware upgrade that I applied to it never solved the problem.
post #18 of 48 Old 01-03-13, 03:11 PM
Shackster

Why does this happen to total recall?

I've played many of the newer Blu rays and none have this issue.
post #19 of 48 Old 01-14-13, 12:30 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I don't think its a new security feature as was mentioned by a previous poster in this thread. My reason for thinking this is I've exchanged the Blu Ray three times and everyone freezes at the exact same place, the beginning of chapter 9.

I believe the rendering of this disc is at fault and someone screwed up royally!! My questions are these, how do I get a good working copy of this Blu Ray? Who do I contact? Where do I go?
post #20 of 48 Old 01-14-13, 04:29 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
3dbinCanada wrote: View Post
I don't think its a new security feature as was mentioned by a previous poster in this thread. My reason for thinking this is I've exchanged the Blu Ray three times and everyone freezes at the exact same place, the beginning of chapter 9.

I believe the rendering of this disc is at fault and someone screwed up royally!! My questions are these, how do I get a good working copy of this Blu Ray? Who do I contact? Where do I go?
hmmm, it might be that your player is having issues with the way it was authored. have you updated your firmware?