Total Recall - Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 48 Old 01-15-13, 11:26 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Total Recall - Blu-ray review

This movie, IMO, is probably the best looking HD movie I've ever watched on my projector. It was crystal clear from start to finish and was a total visual delight. The amount of detail was jaw dropping.

The audio was like a hammer. Tons of LFE. Really a thing of beauty... with the exception of about 30 audio drop-outs. That's the flip-side of the coin. Several times I watched a scene a second time (to see if the audio drops occurred again, and they didn't). Makes zero sense but was highly annoying!

The story was decent. Just about what I'd expect from an action film.

I'd add this to my collection in a heart beat, but the audio issue is a bit of a turn-off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 01-15-13, 01:38 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
well, according to blu-ray.com there IS an exchange program for those of you with affected players.....

just email consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com requesting a pre-paid mailer to send back your affected copy
I wonder how I could go about buying an unaffected copy? (I rented the one I watched from RedBox).

I contacted oppo and this is what they said:

This is a problem with the mastering of this Blu-ray. Sony is beginning to replace these discs with versions which do not contain these audio errors, so you may want to pursue receiving a replacement disc from them. We are also looking into possible software solutions to our players, but we do not know if we can compensate for these authoring errors.
post #33 of 48 Old 01-20-13, 10:16 AM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

Nice review! Looks like a must have.

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

Projector selection basics
Epson TW 2000 review
post #34 of 48 Old 01-27-13, 11:19 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Well... I sent my copy to Sony for their new "re-authored" disc. Just got it yesterday...

Still have audio issues.

That stinks
post #35 of 48 Old 01-27-13, 08:01 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
Well... I sent my copy to Sony for their new "re-authored" disc. Just got it yesterday...

Still have audio issues.

That stinks
I got off the phone with Sony on Friday evening and was told that reissues were also having the identical problem. They told me that Samsung has released a firmware upgrade for their players to handle this disc. I'm contacting Sony tomorrow to find out when I can expect a firmware upgrade from them. I think they told me Oppo did a firmware upgrade as well but I'm not 100% certain on that one.
post #36 of 48 Old 01-28-13, 07:20 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I contacted Oppo a few weeks ago and they told me it was a Sony issue...

DISLIKE
post #37 of 48 Old 01-31-13, 04:44 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Yup... so I contacted Sony, also, to let them no that the re-issue disc they sent me is laced with audio errors (just like my original disc). They basically said, Sorry, you're on your own. They told me that the only solution is for my BD player manufacturer to release a firmware update.

Where is the "Boooo" button. Thanks for releasing an inferior product, Sony.
post #38 of 48 Old 02-04-13, 01:55 PM
Shackster

I saw the movie in the theater and I agree with the OP - very enjoyable (and I am big fan of the '90s movie by Paul Verhoeven). Colin Farrel really takes it to the next level. The visuals are pretty stunning.
post #39 of 48 Old 02-04-13, 02:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
I wonder how I could go about buying an unaffected copy? (I rented the one I watched from RedBox).

I contacted oppo and this is what they said:

This is a problem with the mastering of this Blu-ray. Sony is beginning to replace these discs with versions which do not contain these audio errors, so you may want to pursue receiving a replacement disc from them. We are also looking into possible software solutions to our players, but we do not know if we can compensate for these authoring errors.
I believe them as you can find a lot of info on this online. When I first saw it in my Oppo, I though it was the player, so tried it in our other, non-Oppo players. Same issues with audio dropouts. I did send in a request to Sony, but have not heard yet. I'm not encouraged though from the responses others have received.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #40 of 48 Old 03-05-13, 05:02 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Since I Live in Canada, I thought i would update my experience with this BluRay. Sony Canada send me a Purolator tag via email and I mailed my copy of this BluRay to Sony. They said they tested it on several of their models anmd said it tested out fine. Color me skeptical. They are shipping it back to me and I will bring it to a friends hosue to see if it skips with his Samsung BluRay players and is PS3. I will keep you all posted.