Dredd - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 06:33 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Dredd - Blu-ray Review

I wasn't a fan of the Sly Stallone JD. So, in my mind this was a pass. But I must say.... just hearing you guys talk about the sound has me fired up!

Looking forward to giving this a spin... BUT, it's going to have to be when the wife and kids are out of the house. Unfortunately none of them appreciate great LFE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 10:57 AM
Shackster
Gil

Guess I'm going to be a wet blanket but.... First, I enjoyed the original Judge Dredd it was corny but lots of action and just a plain fun popcorn movie. The new Dredd on the other hand was dark, gruesome, and over the top with guts and gore. Why are all the new "science fiction" moves shot in the slums of Chicago with all the inhabitants living hand to mouth and fighting like a pack of dogs over a scrap of food? It’s a pretty sad commentary on the future of our world. Is this really what Hollywood thinks the future is going to be like? Are they so fixated on evil that they can’t see any good in our society? It seems that the lighter more fun and morally responsible movies of the past have evolved into a steady diet of showcasing the worst elements of society while each producer tries to outdo and shock the audience more than the last one. Small wonder there are “dark knights” out there turning fantasy into reality at the cost of people’s lives. Sorry, guess I got a little carried away. I do think great sound should be coupled with good quality material and content. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it….
post #13 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 12:05 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
gewiz44 wrote: View Post
Guess I'm going to be a wet blanket but.... First, I enjoyed the original Judge Dredd it was corny but lots of action and just a plain fun popcorn movie. The new Dredd on the other hand was dark, gruesome, and over the top with guts and gore. Why are all the new "science fiction" moves shot in the slums of Chicago with all the inhabitants living hand to mouth and fighting like a pack of dogs over a scrap of food? It’s a pretty sad commentary on the future of our world. Is this really what Hollywood thinks the future is going to be like? Are they so fixated on evil that they can’t see any good in our society? It seems that the lighter more fun and morally responsible movies of the past have evolved into a steady diet of showcasing the worst elements of society while each producer tries to outdo and shock the audience more than the last one. Small wonder there are “dark knights” out there turning fantasy into reality at the cost of people’s lives. Sorry, guess I got a little carried away. I do think great sound should be coupled with good quality material and content. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it….
Realize Gil that the movie is based on a comic book. The Sylvester Stallone version deviated quite heavily from the comic book while the newer version stays truer to it. In this specific case, it really is not Hollywood that tells this dark tale.

However, I do agree to a point. The advancements in technology have made it such that most films fail to do what the older movies did - tell a story. Most movies of today try to wow us with special effects and rely less on telling a good story.

This is why it is so amazing when one comes out that gives us both - like LOTR.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 12:18 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Once I saw this movie was only an 1.5 hours long... I made a little time in my schedule to see it this morning.

First the bad: I had two gripes with this movie. It was obvious this movie was about one thing: Action. In cases such as this, like Dredd, I say leave it at that. When these kind of movies briefly force technical dialog - whether it be about the future or future technologies - it comes across as cheap and a veiled attempt by the writers to make appear as if the movie is more than it is. In other words, don't cheapen my action movie experience by trying to make more out of what you have.

Secondly, I have to agree with the above poster. To some degree this movie just pushed the violence to the absolute maximum. Very graphic. I'm going to have to let this percolate for a while, but I definitely found myself a bit turned off by it.

Now the good (and I mean GOOD): The audio is of totally off the charts. Definitely need to start off by addressing the LFE. This movie is basically pulsating and throbbing with all sorts of unique and dynamic bass from start to finish. Fantastic. And... bass-heads unite(!) - there is definitely some material digging down below 20Hz. Right around the 51:40 mark in the movie there is a scene where Dredd and the Rookie have re-entered the building with their detainee. Dredd throws him across the classroom and begins getting angry. Right about that time the woofers on my subs went absolutely NUTS . I could feel the entire room being pressurized as my eardrums felt like they were fluxing in and out... it lasts roughly a minute... this LFE was hitting down LOW and HARD... and my subs loved every single second of it (as did I).

What I absolutely want (and look for) when comes to movies that throw tons of LFE around is: Dynamic Bass. The worst case scenario is a bass heavy movie that applies the same rumble over, and over, and over, and over... What I want is unique, and varied, bass. This movie has TONS of. A+++++

As Mike notes, the use of surround channels is also excellent. And dialog is perfect. Never had a moment where dialog was harsh or hard to understand.

I also found the soundtrack to the movie to be very unique. One thing I noted early on is a lot of the instrumental parts to the sound track were very left-sided in their presentation. In other words... heavy on the left sound stage. Tie that in with constant dynamic bass, great use of surrounds, and spot-on dialog... and I think think this movie is majorly demo worthy and one of the better sound presentations I've heard in a long time.

Thanks for the review, Mike Edwards... definitely got me to watch something that I would have passed on if left to my own!

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 01-12-13 at 06:19 AM.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 12:46 PM
Shackster

I thought my set was broken the noise on this was so bad.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
Once I saw this movie was only an 1.5 hours long... I made a little time in my schedule to see it this morning.

First the bad: I had two gripes with this movie. It was obvious this movie was about one thing: Action. In cases such as this, like Dredd, I say leave it at that. When these kind of movies briefly force technical dialog - whether it be about the future or future technologies - it comes across as cheap and a veiled attempt by the writers to make appear as if the movie is more than it is. In other words, don't cheapen my action movie experience by trying to make more out of what you have.

Secondly, I have to agree with the above poster. To some degree this movie just pushed the violence to the absolute maximum. Very graphic. I'm going to have to let this percolate for a while, but I definitely found myself a bit turned off by it.

Now the good (and I mean GOOD): The audio is of totally off the charts. Definitely need to start off by addressing the LFE. This movie is basically pulsating and throbbing with all sorts of unique and dynamic bass from start to finish. I absolutely loved it. And... bass-heads unite(!) - there is definitely some material digging down below 20Hz. Right around the 51:40 mark in the movie there is a scene where Dredd and the Rookie have re-entered the building with their detainee. Dredd throws him across the classroom and begins getting angry. Right about that time the woofers on my subs went absolutely NUTS . I could feel the entire room being pressurized as my eardrums felt like they were fluxing in and out... it lasts roughly a minute... this LFE was hitting down LOW and HARD... and my subs loved every single second of it (as did I).

What I absolutely love (and look for) when comes to movies that throw tons of LFE around is: Dynamic Bass. The worst case scenario is a bass heavy movie that applies the same rumble over, and over, and over, and over... What I want is unique, and varied, bass. This movie has TONS of. A+++++

As Mike notes, the use of surround channels is also excellent. And dialog is perfect. Never had a moment where dialog was harsh or hard to understand.

I also found the soundtrack to the movie to be very unique. One thing I noted early on is a lot of the instrumental parts to the sound track were very left-sided in their presentation. In other words... heavy on the left sound stage. Tie that in with constant dynamic bass, great use of surrounds, and spot-on dialog... and I think think this movie is majorly demo worthy and one of the better sound presentations I've heard in a long time.

Thanks for the review, Mike Edwards... definitely got me to watch something that I would have passed on if left to my own!
ooooo, according to some graphs being thrown around on some other forums there's some sub TEN HZ LFE too .... I'm only disappointed I can only hit about 22 hz on my subs... THT's give out MONSTROUS output but only to about 22-24 hz (depending on room gain)....
post #17 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
gewiz44 wrote: View Post
the reason behind Judge Dredd being so different from "Dredd" is the source material and what the Stallone version DID with said source material. the 95 Stallone movie was a "Stallone" vehicle so to speak. A fun, corny action movie with the NAME Judge Dredd. "Dredd" on the other hand takes a fairly accurate representation of the comics. Like "The Watchmen" the Judge Dredd comics were very very very bleak and black. It was a British comic series that was basically a social study on governments who get out of control (ala V For Vendetta). Dredd is NOT a hero, the law he represents is not good either. their point was that in a dystopian society where the govt is allowed too much power it will self destruct and become a dictatorship. The "law" in the "Judge Dredd" universe is a fascist ruling power with an iron fist and Dredd himself is the monster they unleash to keep order among the ruins they have created. Like "the watchmen" there are no good guys, they are all bad guys, even the ones who fight for "law and order". long story short. it's a bleak look at oppression and what happens to BOTH sides in a society balance is thrown out of whack and people are oppressed.
post #18 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 02:51 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
ooooo, according to some graphs being thrown around on some other forums there's some sub TEN HZ LFE too .... I'm only disappointed I can only hit about 22 hz on my subs... THT's give out MONSTROUS output but only to about 22-24 hz (depending on room gain)....
My sealed subs hit down to about 9Hz before a significant drop off... if you say people are reporting 10Hz and below material, I absolutely believe it. Especially in that scene I noted. It began with a slightly uncomfortable pressure... there was a slow build in intensity, then all of a sudden, I could feel the pressure fluctuating which then led to it absolutely hammering away. It was intense... almost a bit distracting... but - WOW! Pretty cool that they added it into the mix - big thumbs up. I've heard that the pressurization sensation of those really low frequencies can trigger the "flight or fight" response (probably because it's an uncomfortable/unusual sensation)...

I wish I knew how to take measurements during a movie --- to see what frequencies are being hit... do you know of any links?
post #19 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
My sealed subs hit down to about 9Hz before a significant drop off... if you say people are reporting 10Hz and below material, I absolutely believe it. Especially in that scene I noted. It began with a slightly uncomfortable pressure... there was a slow build in intensity, then all of a sudden, I could feel the pressure fluctuating which then led to it absolutely hammering away. It was intense... almost a bit distracting... but - WOW! Pretty cool that they added it into the mix - big thumbs up. I've heard that the pressurization sensation of those really low frequencies can trigger the "flight or fight" response (probably because it's an uncomfortable/unusual sensation)...

I wish I knew how to take measurements during a movie --- to see what frequencies are being hit... do you know of any links?
for something like that you'd want a computer and run REW during the movie, it will run the sweeps and list the curves for you.

and yeah, "pressurization" is the best way to describe it... that thick heavy pulsation coming from the really low frequencies. one of these days I wanna finish building my addition so I can have a set of 8 sealed subs (2 in each corner).
post #20 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 02:56 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
the reason behind Judge Dredd being so different from "Dredd" is the source material and what the Stallone version DID with said source material. the 95 Stallone movie was a "Stallone" vehicle so to speak. A fun, corny action movie with the NAME Judge Dredd. "Dredd" on the other hand takes a fairly accurate representation of the comics. Like "The Watchmen" the Judge Dredd comics were very very very bleak and black. It was a British comic series that was basically a social study on governments who get out of control (ala V For Vendetta). Dredd is NOT a hero, the law he represents is not good either. their point was that in a dystopian society where the govt is allowed too much power it will self destruct and become a dictatorship. The "law" in the "Judge Dredd" universe is a fascist ruling power with an iron fist and Dredd himself is the monster they unleash to keep order among the ruins they have created. Like "the watchmen" there are no good guys, they are all bad guys, even the ones who fight for "law and order". long story short. it's a bleak look at oppression and what happens to BOTH sides in a society balance is thrown out of whack and people are oppressed.
This is interesting... I like the back ground info. Helps to frame the violence. I'm definitely torn about how extreme it was in Dredd... maybe better stated as how it was depicted. But, if they were being true to the source, then I'm more ok with it.

I heard Tarantino interviewed at length about his new Django Unchained flick. He talked at length about the history of Django in european film in the 60's... and the history of Spaghetti Westerns. Made me feel as if he is a steward of the past... and helped me to understand/more at ease with the violence depicted in his Django movie.