Dredd - Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 02:58 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Dredd - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
for something like that you'd want a computer and run REW during the movie, it will run the sweeps and list the curves for you.

and yeah, "pressurization" is the best way to describe it... that thick heavy pulsation coming from the really low frequencies. one of these days I wanna finish building my addition so I can have a set of 8 sealed subs (2 in each corner).
Oh, ok. I use REW... sounds like something I could manage. I'll have to check it out.

I can't imagine 8 sealed subs.... would be absolutely awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
Oh, ok. I use REW... sounds like something I could manage. I'll have to check it out.

I can't imagine 8 sealed subs.... would be absolutely awesome.
yes, yes it would be. I'm an spl addict as well as a low freq addict. I have a tendency of running my subs about 8db hotter than my mains (and one of the joys of horn subs like the F-20 or the THT is sheer amount of clean spl those suckers can throw out). my only complaint is I wanna dip into the teens AT LEAST with that same spl.
post #23 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 03:13 PM
Shackster

Although I was disappointed in the PQ , the audio on this was pretty good. I am running 5 sealed HSU subs.
post #24 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
This is interesting... I like the back ground info. Helps to frame the violence. I'm definitely torn about how extreme it was in Dredd... maybe better stated as how it was depicted. But, if they were being true to the source, then I'm more ok with it.

I heard Tarantino interviewed at length about his new Django Unchained flick. He talked at length about the history of Django in european film in the 60's... and the history of Spaghetti Westerns. Made me feel as if he is a steward of the past... and helped me to understand/more at ease with the violence depicted in his Django movie.
funny you should mention Tarantino, I was just thinking about him and the comparison's in violence between the two movies. Sometimes Tarantino can be a bit over the top (I still think resevoir dogs is his roughest and most unrefined of his films), but you do have to admit the man is dedicated to the accuracy of his craft. while watching Django unchained I was surprised at how well he kept the tone of the film to the old spaghetti western's (which both he and I are massive fans of). Even the little things like the complete LACK of sexual overtones in the movie was spot on accurate to the representation of those old Sergio Leone and co films.
post #25 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 03:27 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
funny you should mention Tarantino, I was just thinking about him and the comparison's in violence between the two movies. Sometimes Tarantino can be a bit over the top (I still think resevoir dogs is his roughest and most unrefined of his films), but you do have to admit the man is dedicated to the accuracy of his craft. while watching Django unchained I was surprised at how well he kept the tone of the film to the old spaghetti western's (which both he and I are massive fans of). Even the little things like the complete LACK of sexual overtones in the movie was spot on accurate to the representation of those old Sergio Leone and co films.
You might find this Tarantino interview interesting... the link is at the bottom of this post.

I gotta say, that Mandingo fight scene was a tough one for me.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
You might find this Tarantino interview interesting... the link is at the bottom of this post.

I gotta say, that Mandingo fight scene was a tough one for me.
great interview, I always love how passionate Tarantino is in these interviews.

the Mandingo fight scene was rough, but it was the scene where the dogs catch the runaway Mandingo fighter that made me wince
post #27 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 07:04 PM
Shackster
Gil

Guess I opened a can of worms with my comments. Star Trek even though a little dark is my kind of science fiction and yes, I do miss LOTR type movies too. They do work the 7.1 surround sound system and for those of you lucky ones who have 9.2+ systems. Looking forward to my next popcorn movie night
post #28 of 37 Old 01-11-13, 10:46 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
gewiz44 wrote: View Post
Guess I opened a can of worms with my comments. Star Trek even though a little dark is my kind of science fiction and yes, I do miss LOTR type movies too. They do work the 7.1 surround sound system and for those of you lucky ones who have 9.2+ systems. Looking forward to my next popcorn movie night
Not at all Gil - I understand what you mean. Me personally, I cannot do slasher type movies like Saw, etc. I just cannot get into them for the same reasons you mentioned above.
post #29 of 37 Old 01-12-13, 05:28 AM
Shackster
Matt

I don't know which movie was worse, this or the most recent Resident Evil. Just wasn't a big fan of either.
post #30 of 37 Old 01-12-13, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
gewiz44 wrote: View Post
not at all, never be reticent to post your opinion here. The only reason for my reply was to explain the "why" of your question. That's the beauty of discussion, great way to sound our opinions and bounce them off other people.

Last edited by Mike Edwards; 01-12-13 at 10:37 AM.